FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope and pray that you all are well out of the path of this fire, and everyone stays safe. If anyone needs help evacuating, let me know and I'll be there as fast as I can with an empty FJ.

I live down wind from the fires. Earlier today the smoke was at ground level, and it was really hard to breathe. That's strange, since I live about 3 miles from the beach. But now the smoke is in the upper atmosphere, and we have red sunlight and ashen snow here.

Pics from my front lawn, and not a cloud in the sky:

My poor cat is covered in ash, but she's just laying on the porch enjoying the scenery.

Stay safe everyone, and if the authorities say to leave, GO! Property can be replaced....you can't.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I was planning to take the gf to Dana Point/Laguna Beach area tonight, and was wondering if I would run into problems on my way there.

I would be coming from Walnut and would be taking the 57 south to the 5, I will be passing Brea on the way. I figured I could bypass the 57 and just take State College all the way to the 5.

Edit: I'm reading more about the fire and it seems like not a good idea to head down that way :(

·
Registered
995 Posts
I was supposed to go to the in n out thing today, actually started driving there and was stuck on the freeway for quite some time before I decided to turn back home by the nearest exit.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Eagle Scout said:
I was supposed to go to the in n out thing today, actually started driving there and was stuck on the freeway for quite some time before I decided to turn back home by the nearest exit.

I guess I'll be heading off to Victoria Gardens then.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I heard they closed the 57freeway. Sucks, because we would have loved to meet you guys tonight! I hope and pray that you all come out OK.

We have a substation on the Olive View Hospital campus in Sylmar. We lost 1/2 the station, including the locker room, bathroom, and 2 police cars. Thank God no one was hurt. Most of So Cal seems like it's on fire. Happens every year. It's too bad. So many lives are devastated irreversibly.

On a side note, I wonder how many trails we'll lose due to this fire. Another tragedy.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. The news is getting worse by the minute. 7000 acres burned, 180 plus homes/structures lost. 4 firefighters injured (God speed their full recovery). And, as of midnight 11/16/08, only 5% contained. My neighborhood is back to being all smokey again.

The good news is that humidity is up to 20% from 10%, and the wind speed is dropping. Conditions for the fire are getting better (in favor of the brave firefighters).

Last I heard, Matt and Arien were not in the path of the fire. I hope things stay that way and everyone makes it out ok.

One of my day shift guys had to get out fast around 4 PM today (while we were at In-N-Out). He said a fire truck came through and told everyone to get out NOW, and they didn't dilly-dally. They split FAST. Last they heard, about 2 hours ago at 2200 hours, their house was safe with a strike team protecting the houses and letting the brush burn. Prayers to all affected by this catastrophe.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I can see this fire from my house. It's burning the backside of Chino Hills. :( There are lots of anxious nerves tonight.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It is 4 am and I see the chino Hills area is being devastated by the fires. I pray for those effected.
It is a Yearly think here in CA and I have seen them around me on all sides before. I just hope everyone here is OK
FJDave. wipe the ashes off the cat. Matt, hope you stay out of the path, and to the rest of us, we need to be prepared to help those effected

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
I stopped by my customers office in Chino Hills on my way home from Pomona Drag Strip yesterday to fix a computer problem and after, we did a little sight seeing before attempting to leave for home. After getting on the 71 SB, I learned that the 91 WB was closed. I had to take the 91 EB to the 15 SB to Ortega Highway (74) to the 405 NB to get home. Ortega Highways was one straigt column of cars in either direction but moving at a consistent 45 MPH so it wasn't too bad. To answer the question that is looming in some minds, yes, I thought about taking Bedford Road to the newly reopened Main Divide but didn't want to risk being in the trail system in case some idiot wanted to become famous by igniting another fire in the Cleveland National Forest.

Right now, on Channel 9, I am watching the area where Lucas and I were standing yesterday burn. I looks like the houses will be fine but it's kinda creepy knowing that we were just standing there yesterday and flames were very far away.

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts
I was watching the news and channel 9 was reporting about a 1/2 block from my work and everything was on fire. I may not have a job to go to on monday. I tried to go look this morning but weir canyon rd. and gypsum canyon rd are closed. My work is on la palma right on the river bed that burned. I`m hoping I can get there tommorrow morning.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, listen to the Fire Department. If they say to get out, DO IT!! Get the FJ packed NOW, and be ready just in case. Get your identification, credit cards, INSURANCE INFO, and other stuff you can't afford to lose in a fire (and have it replaced by FEMA in about 8 months) like guns, jewelry, birth certificates, photo albums, computer/laptop, etc., and have those ready to go by the front door.

If you all need anything, I will drop what I'm doing and head out there to lend a hand. I'm watching this thread closely.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I spent a good part of the day helping out some friends that live in "The Country Estates" in Diamond Bar. One had already packed up last night. One was just in panic mode today. An evacuation isn't a simple thing. There are so many loose ends that having another friend who can run some errands for you helped. I think their houses will be safe, but you just never know. I was looking at the fire as I was on the 71 fwy last night (coming home from Anza Borrego) and thought about all the homes nearby. I don't think any of those guys ever thought that they may one day lose their home. Nobody ever does. Always be prepared. Always appreciate what you have.

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts
I got up this morning and went to work and wouldn`t you know it Work was still there. Nothing else is still there but work was still there. I guess I should be thankful ;). I`ve been there 20 years so the prospect of a new and exciting job didn`t sound half bad. Seriously though for miles around my work in yorba linda everything is burned it burned all the way around our building but didn`t get it. about 40 houses right above my work burned to the ground . The Cascade apartments are across the riverbed from us and they burned down also. Its very baron looking now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts