FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question...

Electric or Hydraulic? Any particular off-road pro's/con's to each of these? It seems Electric is the more commonly used for offroad applications, but Hydraulic seems pretty cool, in that it has less chance of over heating.


And, winch brand. WARN seems to be the big one, but anyone have experience with Mile Marker, SuperWinch, or T-Max?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts
For what we do Electric is the way to go

Hydraulic is what we run on all our semi trucks at work. Great units and expensive but unless you have a PTO system or some means of hydraulic pressure then electric is the only way to go. Now you can get hydraulic units that tap into the power steering system but remember, the auto must then be running to operate them. If you get in a situation where the vehicle won't start or stay running then the winch is useless.

Regarding winches....Warn has been the brand of choice for many years but for the price I went with a Mile Marker 8,000 lb unit. Costco had a deal on these for about 350 bucks.

Just my $.02
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
1) Electric - you can still use it if your engine is dead.

2) Warn - American made, reputation through the roof.. same with prices.

Mile Marker - Cheap price, made in China





Don't forget you get a military discount at 4wheel parts Dave!
 

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
Joined
·
11,488 Posts
I to am wanting a winch but Warn cost to much and I`m not buying anything made in China ( had to many problems cheap! ) so is there any other brand?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
CADavebert said:
How's that? I'm not in anymore, and not retired? All I gotta say is "I used to be in?"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts
DominicG said:
Mile Marker - Cheap price, made in China

Depending on your "usage", a less expensive unit may be the way to go. If you are in constant need of a winch then I would go the more expensive route. For my intentions, a Warn did not warrant the need.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
I wasn't sayin Tim.. i was just, sayin.




I would have bought a mile marker if i did not get the Warn for the deal i got.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
857 Posts
Sanderhawk said:
I to am wanting a winch but Warn cost to much and I`m not buying anything made in China ( had to many problems cheap! ) so is there any other brand?
Even many Warn components are now made in China, so you going to have troubles avoiding Chinese winch parts. Milemarker, Warn Tabor, T-Max are all made in China. The Warn premium line are made here, but do use some Chinese made parts.

The problem with buying an inexpensive winch is that they contain lower grade components which are more likely to fail when you need them most - so the money you save can end up costing you a lot. Food for thought before you purchase an inexpensive winch. You want to buy a winch once - and you need it to work 100% every time you need it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,519 Posts
I have a Mile Marker 9000lb winch. It works ok. Never had other winches so I can't really compare. The problem I have with mine is that I can't free spool easily. It takes significant effort to free spool so I have to power out. I got the winch used so I don't know if that's how they are or mine is damaged.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
Tony we had that same problem with Ariens mile marker.

Incredibly difficult to free spool, and his is new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
right now the smittybilt XRC8 Winch is on sale at 4wheelparts... thinking of getting this and synthetic line from winchline.com... is this winch any good?? how much line and what thickness do i need??? also does anyone know if it will fit the demello bumper??


yusuke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,519 Posts
FJCDZNUTZ said:
right now the smittybilt XRC8 Winch is on sale at 4wheelparts... thinking of getting this and synthetic line from winchline.com... is this winch any good?? how much line and what thickness do i need??? also does anyone know if it will fit the demello bumper??


yusuke
I just read your post now. I'm not familiar withe Smittybilt... In terms of lines, get enough for your needs, but not more. The rated strength of a winch is based on the first few wraps, meaning if you use only a little bit of your line, you're not getting the pulling power. 110-115' of 5/16" line should fit. 80' of 3/8" will take up about the same amount of room.

From Superwinch.com:
Laws of Physics govern the performance of a winch. Law #1: too many layers of rope on the drum will rob your winch of power and efficiency and keep you from working in the Pulling Power Zone™.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fjamming said:
I just read your post now. I'm not familiar withe Smittybilt... In terms of lines, get enough for your needs, but not more. The rated strength of a winch is based on the first few wraps, meaning if you use only a little bit of your line, you're not getting the pulling power. 110-115' of 5/16" line should fit. 80' of 3/8" will take up about the same amount of room.

From Superwinch.com:
Laws of Physics govern the performance of a winch. Law #1: too many layers of rope on the drum will rob your winch of power and efficiency and keep you from working in the Pulling Power Zone™.
So based on this, it would be best to get the shorter but thicker rope on the winch, and have some extra line in the back if you need the extra distance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,519 Posts
CADavebert said:
So based on this, it would be best to get the shorter but thicker rope on the winch, and have some extra line in the back if you need the extra distance?
Yes. I have 120ft of lines. I have it because it was a good deal and I didn't know better. If I had known, I would've gone with 70ft of 3/8th.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top