FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volkswagen Touareg V12 TDI Baja Racer debuts at LA Auto Show, check this badboy out..i want one!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Its awesome! My money is on Mark taking first place in the new VW TT if it holds to gether being its first race and all. The diesel is a huge advantage, SCORE actually told them they have to use a small gas tank to give them a handicap so the other TT's have a chance.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Track width: 92 inch / 233 cm
Wheelbase: 125 inch / 317 cm
Weight: 5640 lbs. / 2562 kg

Engine: 5.5 Liter, 90 degree V-12 TDI, Twin-Turbo Diesel, Garrett TR30R, 42,6psi / 2.94 bar absolute pressure, 4 valve per cylinder, DOHC,550HP (405kW), 625ftlb (850Nm

Front Suspension: Unequal length A-arm, 25inch (63cm) travel, 3.0 coil-over and 3.0 bypass Fox Shox, Eibach springs

Rear Suspension: 4-Link, 30inch (76cm), 3.0 coil-over and 3.0 bypass Fox Shox, Eibach springs

Wheels: 17inch KMC Custom Forged Beadlock
Tires: 37x13.5x17 BFGoodrich Baja KRT

pictures and specs here --> http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53530&highlight=engine

·
Deutschbag Moderator
7,394 Posts
Germans rock. They should have kept it old school and done a torsion bar front end. Did you see the flip down HID's behind the grill?

·
Registered
376 Posts
SWEET ZOMBIE JESUS DANCING CHRIST.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Krishna said:
This didn't make it past the finish line did it? I was rooting for M. Miller too.
He finished in 18:57:30 hr, 13th place in class. Had some issues with the clutch early on and eventually had to change it out.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
FJ-Piper said:
13th place? I saw that coming, it's a Volkswagen... ;D Pre 1970, they were awesome vehicles, now, I hate them.
13th is pretty good for a first showing, most get a DNF the first time around. I think of the #33 Toyota Tundra TT last year was there first race in that truck and it barely finished, this year they got 3rd in it. Also remember the VW has about 200 less hp compared to the rest of the TT field. Once it gets dialed in and all the kinks worked out it will be a hard truck to beat.

I also have to admit if the TDI Touareg was out when I got the FJ and was around the same price I would have been driving it instead of the FJ.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry to sound like a wet noodle but this car is cool because it's an Arciero/Miller, not a Volkswagen.  As Jeshua will know, it is basically a SCORE Class 1 Truggy running the VW V-12.  The body is gorgeous, and Arciero's website says it is from Fiberwerx in Huntington Beach.

I think our local SoCal guys in SD and OC building these SCORE vehicles are the greatest craftsmen around.  Not to bag on VWs.

Trophy trucks are "branded" just by the different one-piece front end fiberglass, where you can choose Mopar, Ford or GM emblems.  This Touareg body is exactly what I hope to do someday around a 4-seat chassis... just phenomenal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
WOW 13th that is great. I was following the race this year listening to weatherman and heard that they were out....guess I needed to check out the results more closely before I open my yap. I thought that was one of the coolest entries this year. I am not missing next years no matter what. I have missed the last two and it kills me everytime.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Air2air said:
Sorry to sound like a wet noodle but this car is cool because it's an Arciero/Miller, not a Volkswagen. As Jeshua will know, it is basically a SCORE Class 1 Truggy running the VW V-12. The body is gorgeous, and Arciero's website says it is from Fiberwerx in Huntington Beach.

I think our local SoCal guys in SD and OC building these SCORE vehicles are the greatest craftsmen around. Not to bag on VWs.

Trophy trucks are "branded" just by the different one-piece front end fiberglass, where you can choose Mopar, Ford or GM emblems. This Touareg body is exactly what I hope to do someday around a 4-seat chassis... just phenomenal.
That is actually really close to what you want for a body, wonder if they would sale you one when the time is right. :)

In the last two years we have seen Toyota, Dodge and VW Trophy Trucks its nice to see diffrence body's and engines being used then the "normal" chevy and fords.

Krishna said:
WOW 13th that is great. I was following the race this year listening to weatherman and heard that they were out....guess I needed to check out the results more closely before I open my yap. I thought that was one of the coolest entries this year. I am not missing next years no matter what. I have missed the last two and it kills me everytime.
They were down for a long time in the beginning and there was a lot of speculation on weather they were done or fixing things and it didn't help that there IRC tracker wasn't working.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts