FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upcoming Forum Changes - Please read!

Hey everyone. I just wanted to take a minute to let everyone know about some updates and changes that will be made to the forums in the following few weeks.

The biggest change that you will see will be the forum layout/ system that we are using. We will be switching from the SMF (Simple Machines Forum) platform, over to VBulletin (same setup as the blue forum).

This is a much needed change, as we are growing very quickly and need more powerful tools, better moderator controls and a smoother operating protocol in general. Switching to the new system should solve the login issues that a few of you are having along with the timeout errors. We will also be able to install all of those crazy emoticons that you guys have been begging for! :)

As many of you know, FJ-Piper has put a ton of time and energy into piecing together the "SoCal FJ Cruiser Field Guide". The new forum software will also help us keep all of this a lot more organized and allow us to host the field guide in a manner that it will be easy to access and download, once complete.

All of that being said, the migration to the new software is a much needed change.

Myself, along with Piper's assistance, will be running test migrations on a separate server to make sure that everything will be transferred properly once we pull the trigger on the merge (i.e. posts, threads, usernames, profile info, etc.).

There will only be one issue with the new setup:

Members will most likely need to reset their passwords once the new setup is in place. I will have more details on this in the coming weeks, so please keep your eye out. It will NOT be a difficult process to change your passwords. You'll receive an email with a link to change it.

The second thing...

FJ-Piper (Steven) will be the newest addition to the moderator team.
Piper will soon have the ability to move threads, change thread titles, clean up threads, and organize trail reports, etc...

He will be a 'moderator' but his main duty will be to help keep the forum organized and clean up threads. He will not be involved deleting inappropriate posts, banning or any of the other regular moderator duties. Basically, he will be an "Information Moderator".

If anyone has any questions about the new setup, feel free to post up!

-Matt

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Just don't make it blue, and we're cool.

Also, do we really need more emoticon's? I mean, who has really been asking for these anyway? Can't they just express themselves with words??? Really.... ;D

·
Registered
69 Posts
vBulletin is a great piece of forum software that I used for a few years. The biggest thing I didn't like about it was that security updates come out quite a bit and it's best to install them asap. Sometimes these updates will break any custom modifications you made to the scripts or themes making you re-code/edit them.

Yet it is still my favorite forum software. I just wish they had the ability to have some stable releases that didn't include new features but was bullet-proof.

Also, you pretty much need to pay the yearly maintenance fee so you can continue to get the updates.

The only real alternative to vBulletin for free is phpBB.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I love more smileys yay!!! haha congratulations to piper being a mod, he definitely deserves it with all his computer and internet knowledge, and thanks matt for continuing to make this place better, my second home away from home :)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Sounds great Matt! I think it will be a big diffrence and improvement for the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Thank God! Finally we can get some more smilies and you guys will chill out!! ;D ;)
Steven, Glad you can join us...now your really a part of the dark side :D ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Matt I think that is a fantastic idea.  I hate this current forum app., and especially not having the ability to track threads I have posted my B.S. on.  Plus you guys will have the ability to upgrade and change quickly. 

It makes me think of something you guys have probably already thought of.  If the goal is to make "the" quality SoCal destination, well, you've already achieved that.  The most illustrious members are here already. 

But the success of this site could be a starting point for growth.  Perhaps instead of SoCal, make it Southwest. It's good to see Homedad here, and those guys have had similar success with their AZ forums.  I bet you it's possible to merge forum databases onto one platform - from the 3 or 4 smaller AZ/CA forums - creating a bitchin' Southwest Forum. The AZ guys have the same issues we do. And we would all love guided trips into AZ as much as they would dig the same from us.

If this sounds totally against what you guys have in mind here I completely understand.  I only bring it up as a possibility, not neccesarily that's it's a good idea.  But basically I can only insult Dominic and Demello so many times in front of the same people before everyone gets bored.

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Air2air said:
Matt I think that is a fantastic idea. I hate this current forum app., and especially not having the ability to track threads I have posted my B.S. on. Plus you guys will have the ability to upgrade and change quickly.

It makes me think of something you guys have probably already thought of. If the goal is to make "the" quality SoCal destination, well, you've already achieved that. The most illustrious members are here already.

But the success of this site could be a starting point for growth. Perhaps instead of SoCal, make it Southwest. It's good to see Homedad here, and those guys have had similar success with their AZ forums. I bet you it's possible to merge forum databases onto one platform - from the 3 or 4 smaller AZ/CA forums - creating a bitchin' Southwest Forum. The AZ guys have the same issues we do. And we would all love guided trips into AZ as much as they would dig the same from us.

If this sounds totally against what you guys have in mind here I completely understand. I only bring it up as a possibility, not neccesarily that's it's a good idea. But basically I can only insult Dominic and Demello so many times in front of the same people before everyone gets bored.

I like the way you think, Todd...I agree it would be awesome to make it a Southwest forum. Maybe eventually.
I think we should take it one step at a time, let the SoCal member count grow for a while, and see where things go from there.

It would be a miracle if anyone could ever figure out how to merge all the databases, lol.

Oh and BTW, I enjoy you making fun of Dom and Demello ;D

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I wish I could....but alas, no posty for me.

Yes, regionalization is a great idea. Merging the forums is a great idea, as well as including Nevada (Las Vegas, BABY!). So many possibilities....Matt, you done a good thing!

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
When the new site is up and solid, I'm going on a MASSIVE campaigning venture and my personal goal is 100 new members. Watch out Dom, if I reach it, it will definitely be difficult to declare you the winner, of a contest, that we're not having! ;D That reminds me, your 2 weeks of handicap is up and I see you mangaed to pull a measly 5 new members ahead. Muahahahaha I'll catch up in a week so we can be tied again, that is IF we were competing ;)

·
Banned
3,370 Posts
I think i'm going to have to finally start handing out more cards!

They got buried in my gat box so i stopped using them :D

I need to win this non real competition!

BTW, how do i setup a clickable pic/hyperlink in the BR? I want a socal emblem pic in my sig that will link them here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts