FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spoke with Debra Clarke who is in charge of the trail system for the Trabuco Ranger District in the Cleveland National Forest. They need our help! She has plenty to do from driving on the trail system and report any issues to a whole list of projects for upgrading Wildomar, the campground at Wildomar and other trails. We have the choice of becoming individual volunteers or as a group. She is sending me two forms which will be the application to become a basic volunteer and the ONLY requirement is that we attend one training session per year. There are two volunteer programs they offer, one requires the one training/orientation course per year and the other is a bit more involved in training and responsibilities but you get to wear a Forest Service uniform and she mentioned something about a federal drivers license ;D

Debra stated that our hours can be joined with the San Bernardino Adopt A Trail program. So what does this mean? For everyone that volunteer at the minimum level, every time you drive to, on and from any trail system in the Trabuco Ranger District, those hours are counted toward our total for awards and recognition. Currently I do about 200 to 400 hours a year myself in that area. I couldn’t even begin to imagine how much Dom spends there...

Official word on Main Divide is November 10 2008 for most of it and a full opening of it after the Blue Light Mine contamination cleanup project is completed. Approximately a few weeks after the 10th.

I don’t recall if it was the basic volunteer or the host program that gives you keys and combinations to the locked gates of closed trails but will find out and post as a follow-up because I’m sure that’s what we all really want isn’t it? The idea behind providing us with the keys and combinations is that we are supposed to run those trails and report back any issues such as illegal fire rings, trail damage, etc… The Forest Service wants us to wheel, behind the locked gates to the closed trails so long as we stay on the trails and report back to them. OMG, that’s way too cool! No more turning around at locked gates.

My thoughts on this oportunity are to maintain course with 3N59A and I think that with one or two more visits, that will be pretty wrapped up, needing only a few monitoring/trash/minor repair runs per year. Plus, snow will be coming there soon and can’t do maintenance there during the snow so I thought we could spend that time focusing our attention on projects in Cleveland National Forest.

Tony, We may want to kind of somehow just join this along with the 3N59A program here and pool all the resources together maybe listing primary people for each forest with an understanding that ALL SoCal FJCruisers volunteers would be secondary volunteers to the other forest. I know I would like to be on the primary list for Cleveland but will definitely be helping with San Bernardino projects as well, because I'm there more than 10 times a year already.

I would like to hear back from everybody that is interested so post up! I need to get an idea of who we can count on, I assume the same people as 3N59A but could be more now that it’s so close.

2008/11/21 UPDATE: Please download the two files and fillout the of-301 form and return to me via anyway you can (hint: I do not hide my e-mail address here). I will submit these before December 1 2008 so we can attend the Training Class on January 31st at Santiago College. After the class, we are official volunteers...

2008/12/11 UPDATE: Due to the low download number of the applications and the fact that I did not receive but one PM re: how to get me the file back, we'll do this a bit differently. Instead of doing this as a group, It's now an individual thing. Please fill out both fs-1800-7 and of-301 and return to the following person:

Debra Clarke - Wilderness / Trails Manager
District Volunteer Coordinator
Cleveland NF, Trabuco Ranger District
1147 East Sixth Street
Corona, CA 92879
(951) 736-1811 x 3227
(951) 736-3002 fax
email: [email protected]

Attachments

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Interested:

FJ-Piper
raYGunn
lemmy_k
DominicG
fj4fun
CADavebert
mtnkraut
FJDave
TTFJoel
Acetechno
jrock
FJCDZNUTZ
Fjamming
fjessence
GTKrockeTT
Sanderhawk
Jomaset
t!t-cruiser
unknownuserx
bph
busta3396
Kokopeli

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am ALL in for whatever this one takes. Keep me posted!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm in. Can I bring my park ranger police badge for this? Manual labor. Woo-hoo!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sign me up!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I'll help when I can. So is Main Divide the trail of interest? What issues plague this area?

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fjamming said:
I'll help when I can. So is Main Divide the trail of interest? What issues plague this area?
No, we would simply be taking a orientation class in January, then that's it. We do not have to do anything else. Finis! Kaput! Done! That's all Folks!

If we choose to, we can simply run any of the trails in the Forest Service (Main Divide, Holy Jim, Indian Truck Trail, Tenaja Truck Trail, Santiago, Wildomar, South Main Divide, etc...), report back any issues and we're now officially helping out and logging hours.

In addidtion, there are several rehabilitation and construction projects available to take on at Wildomar both on the trail system as well as the campground but we do not have to do it, it's up for grabs to whatever organization/individual wants to take it on.

Then, same as with the AAT program, there is many training classes you can take (IF YOU WANT TO) that will expand your skillset and allow the Forest Service to send more specialized tasks our way, If that's what we want!

Debra is REALLY COOL to talk to on the phone and can't wait to meet her in person. She seems tremendously difficult to get a hold of and I believe it's idicative of how busy the Forest Service is and in need of our help. She expressed to me that she wants to hear our ideas about the whole trail system for ideas on what works, what doesn't work, what is needed and what there is too much of, what do we want out of the Forest Services trail system, etc... Now to me, that sounds like the perfect situation to talk about taking one of the main roads such as Main Divide and creating several off-shoots with obstacles that continually return to Main Divide. I'd like to see a well signed trail system clearly stating what is allowed, what is not allowed and difficulty ratings of each side shoot with some kind of cool name for each one. Kind of a Pipe Dream IMHO, but hey, it's My Pipe Dream ;D

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fjamming said:
I'll help when I can.
Oh ya, Tony and others that live so close to here, I wouldn't doubt it if after signing up and receiving our access to the gates that we could simply enter the forest trail system at any number of the other locked gates that surround the CNF such as the 91 and Green River, etc...

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fjamming said:
So it's pretty much a monitoring system?
At a minimum, yes. But we have the option of making it whatever we want. All we have to do is ask for something to do and it's ours. I sense some difficulty in grasping this so I will try to clear it up

Our involvement as volunteers in the CNF AT A MINIMUM is simply to monitor the Forest Service roads in the CNF and report issues we find.

IF we want more than to just monitor the Forest Service roads, we can, IF WE WANT TO, request work, for any area that the Forest Service needs work done. This includes EVERYTHING THEY DO. If you want to be a librarian for a Forest Service Library then you can. If you want to have weekend classes to teach kids about nature, then you can. If you want to be part of Archaelogical projects, then you can. If you want to repair the trail system and campgrounds, guess what? Yup, you can!

Debra is completely open to accommodate us how we want to help them. There is no AAT program in CNF yet so if we wanted to create that guess what, we can!

I hope this is crystal clear to everyone so we can move on with signing up. After we get people signed up that are interested, we can evaluate what types of skills we have and are willing to provide to the Forest Service then discuss in a thread of just how we will oficially offer to help. If that thread results in just wanting to drive the trails behind locked gates, then that's what it is. I will be offering a bit more myself but I'm not demanding that anybody else do more than attend the one class and cruise the trails making sure to report issues.

Please don't consider my posts abusive, I love to mix sarcasm with straight facts and try to present information in many forms for all to understand. That is all for now... Obligatory Smilie to calm tensions: ;D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts