FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Shoul dI keep the rack or get rid of it?

• Rackless

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... or should I say de-rack or not to de-rack

I started out without a roof rack and liked the look. I then put a factory one on after seeing one for sale and liked the look as well. I'm leaning toward selling and using the money for other mods. I also like the clean look of the FJ without the rack, making the white roof stand out more.

I've barely used it, once when I transported a tire that was wet (didn't want the inside to be wet). And another time when I went camping to hold a couple foldable chairs and fishing rods. I'm sure t would've fit inside if I wasn't so lazy about arranging everything (I rarely go camping). I don't *think* I really need it, and right now, I just have my jack mounted on it just because.

I know it's really up to me, but maybe some one has a point that will help me make a decision.

Here it is with the rack:

Here are some bad pics (used MS Paint) to show it rackless:

I just love the look of it rackless

·
Banned
3,370 Posts
Personally i hate the FJ without a rack.. looks so sad. But i had mine off for a week, and it was so QUIET!!

Besides, you'll never know when you'll need a roofrack. The day after i took mine off i needed to use it... lol.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I think your FJ with the ARB rack looks better with a rack. I sold my rack and really like the way my FJ looks now. I'm however working on my own rack. Probably be something close to what the Gobi Stealth looks like. I agree with Ursula Lover . You never know when you'll need it. Good job using MS Paint!

·
Registered
909 Posts
If you get rid of it, the next time the wet tire is in the truck.

It has a function, but very seldom used, in my case, but I do use it for my bikes on a regular basis. I doubt I would ever put a box up there as getting things up and down are a pain in the bottom.

If you plan on doing any expedition trips it becomes almost an necessity.

My guess is if you didn't have it it would be no big deal to you, but if you take it off, certainly you will need and want it back. I would suggest not selling for awhile and then make the choice.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Looks better, looks worse... for me it is function. A rack allows for additional function on the FJ, though the stock rack leaves a bit to be desired, it works. The after market racks address some of those issues with the stock rack...

Plus..

I like the look better ;D

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I agree, and was going to edit the post....Function over form and since I added the Coleman basket and the AP Air Dam/Light Bar, the stock rack is now more functional and it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the comments.

Since its not costing me any money to keep it on (maybe a little bit of extra gas) I guess I will keep the rack on, for now at least. And ever since I added the drawers in the back, I've lost about 20% of space behind the rear seats. So I guess if I ran out of space inside the FJ, the rack would be helpful to hold anything that won't fit inside.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Common sense, what a character flaw to have. ::)

Just kidding you. Either way if it is what you want do it.

See ya at the meet and greet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts