FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few posts where people have asked if stock shocks will work with aftermarket springs. Well, I had OME medium springs, and since I was (am currently) waiting for a shock to be replaced, I have the TT Bilstein shocks in with them.

The OME shocks have a MUCH stiffer spring rate than stock springs. That means they want to stay extended, and not compress as much. The stock springs are softer, and want to compress more. They are also shorter than the OME springs.

So, the stock shocks are made for, and used to a spring that wants to compress and extend more than an OME. The stock shocks are pretty stiff to keep this from happening, and your truck wobbling all over the road and trail. It also allows for a very smooth ride on the road.

OME shocks are made for the stiffer rate springs. They allow the spring to extend without dampening it too much.

With the stock shocks and OME springs, I get wheel hop going over speed bumps. Bumps in the road really jar my teeth loose.

I installed the rear OME shocks yesterday, and as soon as i get the front shock delivered the fronts will be installed. But with just the rears installed, it makes a HUGE difference! The ride is SO MUCH BETTER.

So, the bottom line is that the stock shocks will work in a pinch or as a trail spare, but they will not work well. Get the shocks that are designed for the springs and the stiffer rate. Your fillings will thank you.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
So you have Mediums all the way around? How is the ride in the rear? (do you have any weight in the back)

I have about >120lbs in the rear that I carry on a daily basis, I'm thinking that the 895's won't be sufficient, but he 896's might be too much.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have between 0 and 100 lbs back there, and the 895 springs work great. No sag at all....still experiencing the OME shocks though.

·
Deutschbag Moderator
7,394 Posts
sorry for the hijack dave. Chris, if you want to level and don't want spacers, try these out. I use am with the stock springs anfd they have worked out great. Toytech makes an upgrade spring/ coilover conversion for them too that i plan on getting. They are a good stepping stone that can be built on in the future and can be adjusted.

http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pa...ategory_id=84&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
hmm interesting. price isnt
too bad either. thanks mtnkraut.

the only thing is im not so saavy suspension wise.
so when they say adjustable its a bit intimidating.
would does that exactly mean?

my apologies for the newbie questions and thanks again!

·
Deutschbag Moderator
7,394 Posts
these get adjusted at installion with your stock spring on one of 3 or 4 preset heights. no fine tuning needed unless you get the coil over conversion for them.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
haha dave, next is some icons right and then the ride will be even better! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts