FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st up, please remove/move this post if its not allowed OR in the wrong place.

I'm currently working with the fabricator of a well-known off road product company who is interested in a few of my armor designs. First up we will be building new lower link guards and diff guards.

The link guards are "frenched" so they offer more of a ramp to use to slide over obstacles rather than just jutting out from the frame, and are made of 3/16 steel.

The diff guard covers the underside of the rear differential from the pinion flange and continues up the back of the diff. It also protects the E-Motor from any hits and only decrease ground clearance by just under 1/2inch. It will also not need to be removed for servicing.

My question is this, is there any interest in either of these products, and if any, which one would you like to see made first.

Obviously i understand that "this thread is worthless without pics" but i can promise you i will get some as soon as i go pick up my truck from the fab shop later this week.

Thanks for your opinions,

Ben

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ben my opinion is that the market is a little saturated with those two items. 

One product that there is a great need for are front diff support brackets.  I am one of the only FJ's that broke it, but many 4Runners and Tacomas suffer these very expensive and damaging events.  I am sure Man-A-Fre would sell a good number of redesigned brackets to replace the hideous pig-iron Toyota brackets, probably the worst-looking part in the whole vehicle.

When mine broke it required not only new CVs but a new engine pan as the front diff bashed up into the bottom of the engine, just missing the crank.  This happened at Ouray and got a lot of attention because it was not a driver-error thing; it just fatigued and the bolts backed out - letting the front diff fly around.

There is a 4Runner guy that charges $150 to weld a plate reinforcement onto the OEM brackets.  This is really lame, but the 4Runner guys have no other option since nobody is making a replacement.

You could make these brackets from a single laser-cut blank of, say, 1/4" plate, then do a lengthwise 90 deg. bend for strength.  Take a peek under Mark Richardson's FJ when he's in there next.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
i'd be interested in the rear diff armor depending on 1) clearance, 2) method of install, 3) price...in that order.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GTKrockeTT said:
i'd be interested in the rear diff armor depending on 1) clearance, 2) method of install, 3) price...in that order.
1) It only decreases your clearance by a bees dick under 1/2inch
2) method of install is u'bolt style system, however it is stonger and a little better thoguht out then that other guy's
3) can't help with this one just yet....
Air2air said:
Ben my opinion is that the market is a little saturated with those two items.

One product that there is a great need for are front diff support brackets. I am one of the only FJ's that broke it, but many 4Runners and Tacomas suffer these very expensive and damaging events. I am sure Man-A-Fre would sell a good number of redesigned brackets to replace the hideous pig-iron Toyota brackets, probably the worst-looking part in the whole vehicle.

When mine broke it required not only new CVs but a new engine pan as the front diff bashed up into the bottom of the engine, just missing the crank. This happened at Ouray and got a lot of attention because it was not a driver-error thing; it just fatigued and the bolts backed out - letting the front diff fly around.

There is a 4Runner guy that charges $150 to weld a plate reinforcement onto the OEM brackets. This is really lame, but the 4Runner guys have no other option since nobody is making a replacement.

You could make these brackets from a single laser-cut blank of, say, 1/4" plate, then do a lengthwise 90 deg. bend for strength. Take a peek under Mark Richardson's FJ when he's in there next.
Todd, this is actually the 4th item on my design pad. I've been working with a few guys from Toyota120.com in making this one work. I wasnt aware you'd had it happen to your truck, however I had seen the pics of Mark (exPat OZ) mishap at Moab.

Stay tuned for this one... I've aslo got a very trick Front Swaybar D/C system thats currently been worked out ;)

·
Banned
3,370 Posts
!Cruzer! said:
I wasnt aware you'd had it happen to your truck, however I had seen the pics of Mark (exPat OZ) mishap at Moab.
That was a fun day..

Stay tuned for this one... I've aslo got a very trick Front Swaybar D/C system thats currently been worked out ;)
What!?!

A REAL working swaybar disconnect!!??! This must be a dream!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
sway bar disconnect will be gold..everyones going to want one including me!!

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts
I wish someone would come out with a rear diff skid soon. Everyone says they are making it but they never seem to get here. I`d buy one of yours if you can get them out before my truck turns to a classic ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow - wasn't expecting quite a response but I guess I better get my ass into gear. The diff protector isn't that far off, the sway bar dc system will hopefully be jan/feb time.

I'd appreciate it if we could keep it on the down low from other forums for the time being please guys, I only mentioned it here because I know this is a fairly tight knit community :) oh, and when the product is done, i'll work something out to look after you all.

ben

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
hahahah on the down low? Your info is golden with me but I'm afraid there might be others already posting about it .0000000001 seconds after reading it here ;) I want to see this d/c soon, this is exciting news

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I'm watching this thread with great expectations!! Oh, and I'm not a rat....your secret is safe with me (I'm banned on the Blew Room anyway :D)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah Ben it was a good idea to float the idea here and not the BF.  Do the disconnect and you will be beloved the world over.  Do a rear too since it probably won't be too much extra effort.

About the diff mount bracket, Dom's picture was taken right before my second puddle of oil started from the front diff.  That is engine oil coming out of a 3" hole in my oil pan.  At the top of a 13,000' mountain pass.  With my family aboard and no power brakes or power steering.   And this was a fatigue break - Dom was with me that day and he knows I was well behaved.

Then Dom leads me down the back face into Telluride 7,000' down.  He stayed right in front of me in case my brakes totally went.  And in fact they did later on while he was towing me back on the freeway.

As a matter of fact, I still am using the same broken bracket.  The bracket has I think 3 bolt attachments and one snapped off.  If the other two bolts had not worked loose and fell out then, I am sure I would not have seen a tiny crack in my bracket.  

I am just lazy and will live with my diff being held on with 5 bolts instead of 6, until your bracket comes out.

Sorry to hijack your thread with these but it was one of the greatest experiences of my life to have such good friends help me out of a really nasty disaster:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts