FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a Fab Fours bumper and there is a pretty large area where the winch can fill. Not knowing much about winches I did some research and mainly for safety I think I want a synthetic line.

When it comes to the line etc, I've been looking at winchline.com and the following:
Part #VTL38080 + STi = 3/8" x 80' Viking Trail Line with Safety Thimble ($254.92)
Option = 3/4" Shackle (what is this for?) ($12.58)
Option = HD Line Protector ($15.74)

For winches, i've been looking at:
Warn 9.5ti Thermometric $1085.95 (could be overkill, but fills the space nicely)
Warn M8000 12v Hawse $675 (does the Hawse even matter since I'm getting the Viking one?)

Hawse Fairlead
Viking 350 Series Hawse Fairlead ($155 @ winchline.com)

Since i'll be getting the bumper at Demello, I'm wondering if they can setup the winch for me etc. I don't know if they can buy everything or I'll get the stuff from winchline and bring it. I don't really want to get the winch myself and lug it around.

Does anyone use Superwinch vs Warn? I see that winchline.com has some Superwinches that come with the synthetic line (not spooled up on the winch though).

I've never used a winch before, but as a kid I remember going offroading with a friend of the family and the winch line snapped and slung back at the truck and made a huge crash noise... It was so long ago I can't remember what happened, but I remember my Dad saying, that's why you stay clear of the winch and line.

My main reason for getting the winch with the bumper is due to the fact the Fab Fours bumper has a huge "hole" where the winch goes and even though I'm thinking of putting the license plate over the hole (on top), I'd rather fill it in and have the peace of mind that I have a winch if I ever need it.

How are these typically wired inside the cab? Do they just use the "remote" inside the cab or extra switches to control the winch.

If there are any other "beginner" winchers, I wonder if we could set a day to go out and learn some simple winching techniques....

·
Banned
3,370 Posts
Don't be afraid of Mile Marker winches. They might be made in China, but they work, and they are backed by Costco return policy if you buy from there ;)

Also, Yes, Demello can set your winch up.

I would personally look at a much lighter weight bumper than the fabfours. 120+ lb bumper plus a 70ish lb winch is not a good idea IMO.

I had an m8000 for a few months and loved it. Worked great and never failed me. Got rid of it though because of money woes.

Sorry I can't help more just in a hurry.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DominicG said:
I would personally look at a much lighter weight bumper than the fabfours. 120+ lb bumper plus a 70ish lb winch is not a good idea IMO.
The weight issue alone is a major reason why I didn't want to add a bumper or winch, yet I don't really like the stock bumper that much.

Does anyone know how much the stock bumper weights for comparison? I was also looking at the DO bumper, but it looked like the side of the bumper had so little material that I can see the "guts" of the FJ and there was these "odd" looking things that just didn't look right in photos. (see my red arrows in the photo below)

I think the DO bumper looks pretty good without a winch also.

·
Banned
3,370 Posts
socals said:
The weight issue alone is a major reason why I didn't want to add a bumper or winch, yet I don't really like the stock bumper that much.

Does anyone know how much the stock bumper weights for comparison? I was also looking at the DO bumper, but it looked like the side of the bumper had so little material that I can see the "guts" of the FJ and there was these "odd" looking things that just didn't look right in photos. (see my red arrows in the photo below)

I think the DO bumper looks pretty good without a winch also.
The bottom right arrow is the body to frame mount. The upper left is part of the fender. I'm sure you could modify that section, but the fender/front clip may lose structural support.

The reason you see so much with the demello and allpro bumper is because they maximize front end clearance unlike the fabfours and other bumpers.

The stock bumper (metal crashbar, plastic and tin brace) i last heard was roughly 32 lbs give or take. The DO is light enough with out a winch that i can remove it/hoist it with one arm.. so i would bet it is still < 100lbs (and i have the 3 hoop, full DO bumper)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
yup the all pro and demello bumpers are among the lightest aftermarket bumpers out there besides tube bumpers, if you go with a fab fours, get ready for some front end sag

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CADavebert said:
I have one in my garage.  I'll weigh it tonight.
Thanks, I'd like to know just how many lbs I'm adding over a stock FJ during my build up.

DominicG said:
The bottom right arrow is the body to frame mount.  The upper left is part of the fender.
Damn your good... I was trying to point to the same place with both arrows, but I can tell the one that annoys me must be part of the fender then.  Here is another pic of how I see it all the time and it drives me nuts. 

Maybe I'm just being nit-picky, since I love everything else about the DO bumper.  The All Pro bumper wasn't offered at Demello so I guess I didn't look into it much.  I will check it out.

I was using the Complete Front Bumper Comparison for reference.  I was looking at the Fab Fours with no hoops which weighs in at 106lbs, making it about 30 lbs heavier than a DO.  I really like the looks of the Fab Fours but I really don't wanna add a lot of extra weight.  If I stuck with the FF then I'd probably ditch the winch and try to get something to cover up the huge hole on top. (like my license plate)

I can't believe so many people run the ARB bumper and that thing is like 150lbs, plus a winch.  It's like having another passenger in the car constantly.

Thanks for all the advice... looks like I have a little more research to do on the bumper first and whether the winch is even worth the extra weight based on my experience offroading and whether or not I even need one.

Also, how do these bumpers affect the front air bags?  I noticed only a few bumpers in the review say the air bags are supported? (ARB)

DominicG said:
The stock bumper (metal crashbar, plastic and tin brace) i last heard was roughly 32 lbs give or take.  The DO is light enough with out a winch that i can remove it/hoist it with one arm.. so i would bet it is still < 100lbs (and i have the 3 hoop, full DO bumper)
Wow, if it's only 32lbs then I might be leaning more towards a DO with a single hoop or no hoops, and no winch guaranteed.

My new nickname for the FJ is the Iron Pig!

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
socals said:
Also, how do these bumpers affect the front air bags? I noticed only a few bumpers in the review say the air bags are supported? (ARB)
As far as I know, all the bumpers are 'compatible' or work with the air bags, but I believe that ARB is the only company that has actually tested their bumper for airbag compatibility.

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
socals said:
Thanks, I'd like to know just how many lbs I'm adding over a stock FJ during my build up.
Oh yea, I think that the stock bumper, with the crash bar, weighs somewhere around 40lbs or so. Someone please correct me if I'm totally wrong...

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
socals said:

Damn your good... I was trying to point to the same place with both arrows, but I can tell the one that annoys me must be part of the fender then. Here is another pic of how I see it all the time and it drives me nuts.

Maybe I'm just being nit-picky, since I love everything else about the DO bumper. The All Pro bumper wasn't offered at Demello so I guess I didn't look into it much. I will check it out.

My new nickname for the FJ is the Iron Pig!
A can of black spray paint and that little area will not bother you anymore. oooo, and nice name for the FJ!

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts
I have allpro front and rear bumpers and i`m happy with them. I think they weigh 60-65 lbs ea. It has lots of room in there for a winch I just haven`t got one yet. If you wait a month or so All pro should be having their yearly holiday bumper sale thats how I got mine and I saved quite a bit plus you get the free light hoop and trailer hitch. They are not hard to install either. just thought I would share.

·
Banned
3,370 Posts
I would IMO currently avoid the AP until they release the fix for or update their bumpers. They are missing a key brace on their bumpers for winching. Some of the blue room members reported some bad results (i.e. bending, ripping off).

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I too have the AP bumper and is so far happy. I know there are some problems but considering the fact that AP has a very high percentage of aftermarket FJ bumpers, that's to be expected. IMHO, it seem to fit the shape of the FJ front end the best. I'm keenly aware of the latch problem and have some suspicions about how the bumper is attached, but so far have not have any problems. I've done probably close to 40 winchings (with the Mile Marker even :D) and haven't had any issues. That's not to say it'll never happen, but so far so good. Here's a pic of the front end.

In regards to the hawse style fairlead, you can also consider the one from Fourtrek. It's a graphite impregnated poly compound. It's extremely light and self healing. It would great for synthetic winchline. $150 is too much to pay for a fairlead.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CADavebert said:
A can of black spray paint and that little area will not bother you anymore.   oooo, and nice name for the FJ!
Yeah, I will probably do that if I get the DO and it really bothers me... haha

CADavebert said:
Just weighed the one I took off prior to putting on my DO.  It's at about 33-34 pounds.
Thank you.  What a light bumper.

Fjamming said:
I too have the AP bumper and is so far happy.  I know there are some problems but considering the fact that AP has a very high percentage of aftermarket FJ bumpers, that's to be expected.  IMHO, it seem to fit the shape of the FJ front end the best.  I'm keenly aware of the latch problem and have some suspicions about how the bumper is attached, but so far have not have any problems.  I've done probably close to 40 winchings (with the Mile Marker even :D) and haven't had any issues.  That's not to say it'll never happen, but so far so good.  Here's a pic of the front end. 

In regards to the hawse style fairlead, you can also consider the one from Fourtrek.  It's a graphite impregnated poly compound.  It's extremely light and self healing.  It would great for synthetic winchline.  $150 is too much to pay for a fairlead.
I saw pics of your FJ somewhere and love the front baja lights you got mounted on a normal bumper.  I originally saw them on demello's site on the tube bumpers.  They look like they would be some killer night driving lights.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DominicG said:
You can kind of see what they look like blacked out:

Thanks for the pic. I can't even tell when it's blacked out and you don't have a winch either and it looks great. I think I'll call up Demello today and see if they have any bumpers or how long it takes to get one. Haha, I remember reading your post about the leet speak license plate!

Is it easier to paint it when the bumper is removed? Maybe I can get the Demello guys to do it when they install the bumper. If they can I'll probably show them pics of your FJ for reference!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:eek: I just got off the phone with Demello and OMG, they are going to do a crapload of stuff for me...

Demello Offroad Winch Bumper Single Hoop powercoated black
2x6" PIAA Front Lights for front bumper
Front Skid and Transfer Case Skid
Gobi Stealth Roof Rack w/4 PIAA front lights and 2 rear PIAA fog lights

Oh, and they will paint the fender part for me!

Looks like it will probably take 2 days or something but damn... I'm getting my FJ fully outfitted! Now I just need to see when we can schedule it all. Ofcourse I'll post some pics once I get it all done.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
socals said:
:eek: I just got off the phone with Demello and OMG, they are going to do a crapload of stuff for me...

Demello Offroad Winch Bumper Single Hoop powercoated black
2x6" PIAA Front Lights for front bumper
Front Skid and Transfer Case Skid
Gobi Stealth Roof Rack w/4 PIAA front lights and 2 rear PIAA fog lights

Oh, and they will paint the fender part for me!

Looks like it will probably take 2 days or something but damn... I'm getting my FJ fully outfitted! Now I just need to see when we can schedule it all. Ofcourse I'll post some pics once I get it all done.
so, just to get things straight...you go from wanting to buy a winch, to bumper, lights, rack, rack lights, skids?!? man, i can't wait until you really get serious about modding. ;D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts