FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get the E-brake to release enough to remove the rear rotors?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
There is a e-brake shoe adjuster.
Found this on Blue!
"On the rotor, there is a hole (may be covered by a rubber cap / may not be)
where you can see right through into the brake assembly (a flashlight would be
very useful). The only way to see right into the assembly is to align it with
the hole on the axle hub. It's about the 5 o'clock position (between 5 and 6).
Once you align it, again using the flashlight find the shoe adjuster. It looks
like a bicycle cog/gear but with the gears facing towards you. With a
screwdriver, you can turn it upwards or downwards. Up is to contract the
brakeshoes, down is to expand.

Once you're ready to reinstall the rotor, expand the shoe until the rotor locks. Then
contract the shoe adjuster until the rotor rotates smoothly. Toyota's standard
is about 8 notches. And you're done"

Hope this helps Doug.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
If you have trouble getting the rotor loose, you can tap it with a dead blow or rubber mallet. Will usually break free from the hub. If not, there are two threaded holes in the rotor. Thread two bolts into it and it tighten evenly. Should push the rotor away from the hub.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Doug,

When in doubt..... use a sledge hammer.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GENIUS!!! Thanks. I followed what Nos2FLy posted in post #2 and it worked. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Is the rotor tapered to the hub then?
Yea, there is a slight taper to the hub. It's kinda hard to explain. The rear rotor is kind of a hybrid setup. The e-brake works like a traditional drum brake. It has two shoes on the inside of the rotor/drum. It adjust just like a set of drum brakes.

Here is a pic of the rear rotor.
FJ Rear Rotor.jpg

Here is the rotor off showing the e-brake shoes. You can see the spring assembly behind the shoes.
FJ Rear Ebrake Assembly.jpg
You can also see the lip that the rotor sits on.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Nos2fly, you rock. I even want to think you pulled your hardware just to attach pics. Are you going to Welks?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Nos2Fly. My buddy and I got stuck with the rear RH rotor. I posted this thread and moved on to working on the front ones, hoping to get an answer quickly. You came through with the tip and I really appreciate the prompt response in time of need :). Awesome!

Funny thing, at dinner with the parents, my father said it's common knowledge that you can adjust the brakeshoes through a hole on the rotor, if you've ever worked on drum brakes before. Hahaha .... neither my buddy nor I have.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Funny thing, at dinner with the parents, my father said it's common knowledge that you can adjust the brakeshoes through a hole on the rotor, if you've ever worked on drum brakes before. Hahaha .... neither my buddy nor I have.
Yea, common but when most people pull off a rear wheel and see a disk brake, you don't think about it having shoes inside for the e-brake. Glad I could help!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
With a
screwdriver, you can turn it upwards or downwards. Up is to contract the
brakeshoes, down is to expand.
I know this is an OLD thread, but I found it in a search as many of you might. The information above was reversed for my 2007 FJ. I had to turn the little wheel down to contract the brake shoes, to get the rotor off. Just wanted to pass that on to hopefully help anyone else.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Regarding post #2, is this also procedure also used to tighten up the EBrake?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts