FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have instructions on how to get to the 2 blank switches on the left side of the steering wheel? I bought some Tacoma switches and want to replace my factory light switches. I have instructions for getting to the 8-panel switches but I can't find one for the other blank switches.

I'm trying to decide if this is something I can do myself and it looks like the 8-panel switches will probably take me about 30 mins or so to take apart since I need to take apart the entire center console where the shifter is to get to the 8-panel switches.

I have 2 switches to replace near the steering wheel and 2 to replace on the 8-panel section.

Also, if anyone else has done this, is there anything I should look out for?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mattmainster said:
Just use a flathead screwdriver. They pop right out. Just be careful not to scratch the plastic.
Can I do this if there is already a factory push-button switch in there? I was worried I might pull just the button face off, but not the entire button.

Also, if I can remove factory buttons this way, then I should be able to remove the ones from the 8-panel dash the same way without having to remove the center panel where the shifter is?

Thanks Matt, and for posting the button part # for the Tacoma switches!

EDIT: I tried on the factory-switch and it pulled the button face off and left the housing in.

·
Deutschbag Moderator
7,394 Posts
reach from the back and push them out. center console one is out with in two minutes, a flathead, and a 10mm socket.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Yes, you need to get to the back side. For the ones on the left, you can pull out the left side panel, and reach across. It comes out by grabbing the rounded part for the vent, and then the rounded part at the bottom, and pulling up and out (if I remember correctly). From there, you should be able to access the backside of the switches on the left.

For the ones in the center, you need to pull out the console. It's a pain.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CADavebert said:
Yes, you need to get to the back side. For the ones on the left, you can pull out the left side panel, and reach across. It comes out by grabbing the rounded part for the vent, and then the rounded part at the bottom, and pulling up and out (if I remember correctly). From there, you should be able to access the backside of the switches on the left.

For the ones in the center, you need to pull out the console. It's a pain.
Thanks, I'm going to try it this weekend when I do my scuba mod. The center console does look like a pain so I'm going to get that done at DeMello's next Thu when I get my wind deflector for my Gobi rack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts