FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my professor gave an example of pulling a stuck car out of a ditch, and I figured there is some application to this when stuck off-road.

Basically, instead of pulling the car out with 500N of force in a straight line pull, using the 500N in a direction perpendicular to the "line" can increase the force being applied to pull out the vehicle.

Is there a safe use for this technique? Or are you more likely to break something by pulling at an angle?

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts
Don`t have a clue what your talking about. strap yourself to a tree and pull yourself out. I would think straight would be alot easier.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The top car shows a straight line pull with 500 newtons of force with a winch. The tree can be substituted with another vehicle (pulling it out the stuck car with a strap).

The picture below shows another car strapped to a tree with a non stretching strap. Another car will pull the middle of the strap (strap between stuck car and tree) with the same 500 newtons. This way, more force is applied to the stuck vehicle by only using the same 500 newtons of force. Therefore it would be technically easier to pull out the stuck car.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I would go for the snatch block. Pulling on a stuck vehicle on an angle like that may cause some pretty good damage...unless you are trying to get the rig back onto a roadway, in which case it's unavoidable. Lateral stresses on the wheels and A arms, especially when the wheels are buried, would be bad IMHO. But I'm a recovery n00b, so don't listen to me. ;D

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I think this is simulating a pulley (snatch block) without actually using one.. Good idea though.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
someone was good at math in college.. ;D very nice

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FJDave said:
I would go for the snatch block. Pulling on a stuck vehicle on an angle like that may cause some pretty good damage...unless you are trying to get the rig back onto a roadway, in which case it's unavoidable. Lateral stresses on the wheels and A arms, especially when the wheels are buried, would be bad IMHO. But I'm a recovery n00b, so don't listen to me. ;D
That's what I was wondering, I was pretty sure that putting that much force to a stuck car at an angle would cause some kind of damage.

Thanks everybody

1 - 8 of 8 Posts