FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand newbie here. Been researching here and on the blue forum.

Wifey and I have taken a particular liking to hiking and exploring in the So Cal deserts and mountains. I’ve only lived in here for 29 years so I guess it’s about time. We need a vehicle that can take us off the beaten path, be reliable, have enough room to hold gear for at least 2, etc. Hence my being here. She loves the FJ and so do I so that is definitely the truck I am going to buy.

I’m targeting the following in my FJ:
  • Less than 100k miles
  • Under $25k (that would include mod budget so more like $20k purchase price)
  • Any color but white (I have an aversion to white cars - not a fan of silver either but of course it seems that’s all I can find - why can't they all be Army Green!!)
  • 4X4
In all honesty, I expect to do very little ‘wheeling’ as you kids call it. :) This will mostly be a means to an end for me but I want the 4X4 capability in case I need it and I do plan to join at least an occasional run with forum members to meet the crew, learn more about our local trails and develop my skills.

Thanks to the input here and the blue forum, I’ve learned quite a bit. Mainly not to worry about options and the like as it’s typically better and less expensive to add them after the fact. I’m not sure if that calculations changes when buying used so any and all advice is appreciated.

I have a few specifics to ask about some of the options on the FJ:
  • Locking rear diff - can this be done after market? How much would it cost?
  • ATRAC - how is the hack for this working out?
  • Rear power outlet - I know I would use this, can it be added aftermarket or should I try to get this already installed?
  • 3-gauge cluster with the temp, compass and inclinometer (sp?) I’m a sucker for gauges - some of the 4X4’s I’ve seen don’t have them. Can it be added?
I also have links to a few ads I'm looking at, would live to hear thoughts on these vehicles:
First one
  • Pros - great price (I can get it for $18.5k)
  • Cons -
    • Big dent in right rear bumper. Looks like I can get an aftermarket steel bumper for $450 here
    • Interior pics show some marks and white discoloration on the seats(?)
    • It's in Oxnard
The bumper is an easy replacement. The seats I plan on covering with Wet Okole so that doesn't bother me either. Not sure I want to go to Oxnard...

Next...

First question - does anyone know the owner? Looks like he/she is in Irvine
  • Pros -
    • The color
    • Several mods that I would want, specifically the upgraded electronics, Baja rack, BU camera (sorry, but once you have one you will never want to be without it)
    • I like the black wheels
    • It's Army Green!
  • Cons
    • I don't need the tires
    • Don't need the suspension mods
    • It's over my budget but I obviously would need to do very little to this truck. From what I'm seeing the asking price of this without the mods would be $23-25k
Finally...
  • Pros
    • Looks cleaner than the one in Oxnard
    • Not modded
    • Price is ok - hopefully I can get it down some from here
  • Cons
    • Price is ok
    • It's freakin' Titanium - which isn't even a color in my book
I really appreciate any thoughts from the collective wisdom of the forum.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
^this guy, i think thats overkill for someone that doesnt plan on much offroading :biggrin:

Reactions: Art31

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
^this guy, i think thats overkill for someone that doesnt plan on much offroading :biggrin:
3rd row seating capable, more storage room than 2 FJC's combined, luxury manual reclining seats, moon roof... and 37's

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The 2010 Green looks good, except for the front wheel well has been trimmed, suspect some off pavement activities.

You'll need to crawl under it, looking for scrapes and signs of wheeling. Be critical because you'll be the one picking up the bill for someone else's fun.

4x4 auto with locking differential and no fender bulges/cracks as minimum.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
In regards to the green one, 26k!?!? Hell no. Dont even know what type of icon suspension it has, no sliders, no armor, etc..

Buy the cheapest one you can get with 4x4, atrac, difflock. The other options are all cosmetic and personal preference (which if you like paying more for that then go right ahead).

As cpt said, if you find one that is modified it often times can be a good value if you dont plan on redoing any of the modifications. Like replacing icon 2.0 shocks with 2.5, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In regards to the green one, 26k!?!? Hell no. Dont even know what type of icon suspension it has, no sliders, no armor, etc..

Buy the cheapest one you can get with 4x4, atrac, difflock. The other options are all cosmetic and personal preference (which if you like paying more for that then go right ahead).

As cpt said, if you find one that is modified it often times can be a good value if you dont plan on redoing any of the modifications. Like replacing icon 2.0 shocks with 2.5, etc.
4x4? - Check
ATRAC? - Check
Locking rear diff? - Check

Thanks for all the feedback. The green one was tempting but I didn't really want someone else's vision of how to build out the truck and I really don't need the extra off road ability as was pointed out. Besides, I never heard back from the guy so maybe he sold it. Bobby, thanks for the offer and I'm sure I'll regret my decision - but I have to pass.

Here's what I got today!
$19k. 2007 Black Cherry Pearl, 84k miles. I'm very excited!
JD-Crusier-web.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks great, let us know when your ready to dirty it up.
I'm actually going to be in Palm Springs next Wed-Sat. Wifey is attending a conference. I will be working from our hotel Thu & Fri but I'm planning on making a little run in Joshua Tree Sat AM. Thinking of going in the South entrance of the 10 and taking the road up to Geology Tour. Head south and exit the park at Berdoo Canyon Rd. I figured that should give me a bit of a taste of being off road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good find JD. This place has potential.
It was fun to spend the day with you guys. Doug and David thanks for the tour and spotting. Super fun.
Doug watching you Tippi toe those rocks is pretty awsome. you got great control of that thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts