FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to work today to check email and pick up some stuff. My day shift guy asked me if I heard what happened. I said no, but asked why the traffic was so bad. He said that a CHP officer was laying a flare pattern on the 60 freeway. A vehicle was speeding, and came up on the officer way too fast. He spun out and hit another car. That other car hit the officer and killed him. He has 3 young children. Christmas is next week. So, please slow down in inclement weather. Here is the JDIC transmission I got in my email:

TO: ALL COMMANDS

SUBJECT: TRIBUTE OF MOURNING RIBBON AND AREA FLAGS

ON DECEMBER 15, 2008, SANTA FE SPRINGS AREA OFFICER JOSEPH SANDERS, #18781, WAS STRUCK AND KILLED BY AN ERRANT VEHICLE WHILE CONDUCTING TRAFFIC CONTROL DUTIES AT A PREVIOUS COLLISION SCENE. FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS ARE PENDING.

ON DECEMBER 15, 2008, AT APPROXIMATELY 0430 HOURS, OFFICER SANDERS WAS EASTBOUND SR-60 JUST WEST OF AZUSA AVENUE CONDUCTING TRAFFIC CONTROL DUTIES AT A PREVIOUS COLLISION. A DRIVER LOST CONTROL OF THEIR VEHICLE AND COLLIDED WITH A SECOND VEHICLE. SUBSEQUENTLY, ONE OF THE VEHICLES COLLIDED WITH OFFICER SANDERS. OFFICER SANDERS SUFFERED MAJOR INJURIES AS A RESULT OF THE IMPACT. HE WAS AIRLIFTED TO USC MEDICAL CENTER WHERE HE SUCCUMBED TO HIS INJURIES AT APPROXIMATELY 0525 HOURS.

CHP COMMISSIONER FARROW HAS ORDERED ALL UNIFORMED MEMBERS TO WEAR THE TRIBUTE OF MOURNING RIBBON AND ALL FLAGS BE LOWERED TO HALF MAST UNTIL OFFICER SANDERS FUNERAL TAKES PLACE.

I have worked with this officer at a few incidents (crashes and a pursuit). He was a great kid with a funny sense of humor. He was also a Marine who survived a tour in Iraq.

RIP, Officer Sanders. Rest easy, brother....we will take your watch now.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
His wife is pregnant with their 4th child also Dave. It's so sad that this happens and that people just don't understand you HAVE to drive differently when we have this kind of weather.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This brings up so many feelings from 1992. On December 21, 1992, Officer Thomas Worley was killed while trying to take an armed robbery suspect into custody. Tom was my friend, and my partner at work. He left 2 small kids and a wife behind. That was so hard, so I can say that I know how his Officer Sanders' station mates feel.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
yea the rain proves to be a task for some drivers and yet they still drive fast without thinking about the consequences, sorry to hear that dave, rest in peace.

·
Ordinary Extraordinaire
8,396 Posts
Sorry to hear this Dave, I read this last night and really felt it but didn't know the words to type. I have also lost freinds or other folks i work with not due to badguys but just due to conditions, I Feel for both sides, if the driver was just not paying attention or inexperienced it is truly unintentional. by that I mean it was not a malicious event. now if he intended to speed knowingly or was drunk I have no remorse for him but either way he will be haunted by this for life. My heart goes out to all families involved. "Tis the season" which makes it even more painful for all.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts