FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After going almost 8 months without having a PA in my vehicle, I've decided that it's time again.

I originally planned on having a more detailed write-up, since this is the first one I've seen on a PA install.
The only problem was I left work at 5:30, still had to hit Radio Shack, and I was working against daylight.

So here's my sad excuse for a write-up:

PARTS
For the Amp, I decided to use the Cobra 19 Ultra III. It is a very small CB radio with PA capability. I will be using it strictly for PA as I already have the Cobra 75 CB .
I was able to get it at Wally World for $35. I don't know if they normally carry it in the stores, so you can find it on their website HERE.

The speaker I used is a Radio Shack brand 50 Watt Indoor/ Outdoor Power Horn . The face of it measures 4"x6" and it's about 8" deep. Most stores have these, otherwise it can be ordered HERE.
Oh, and you can just ignore the toe in the picture. ;D


MOUNTING LOCATIONS

I originally planned on mounting the speaker in the spot under the hood where most people mount their second battery. I do plan on adding a DIRTY PARTS dual battery kit, so I skipped on that spot.
As a temporary solution, I mounted it inside the stock bumper to the right of the license plate (or skull in my case). It was an easy spot to access, not having to remove the bumper like I did for my train horns. For the time being I just secured it using 4 zip ties. I will be coming up with a better mounting solution soon.
The speaker faces downward, and provides PLENTY of sound.



As for the "Amp", I chose to use the included mounting bracket, and mount the unit to the back of the center console, facing up. It provides easy access to the volume and power knob and keeps the unit out of the way.
Again, ignore any body parts that entered the picture.


WIRING
This is where I wish I would have had time to take more pictures and get a little more detailed.
Everything is completely hidden. All of my connections are soldered and wrapped in heat shrink tubing.

The only wiring in the engine compartment is the audio cable from the speaker. It is run along the side of the engine bay and through the driver's side firewall.
An extension cable is plugged in right inside the firewall and run down underneath the driver side running board and under the floor. It comes back up under the driver seat and goes under the center console.
For power, I had an extra wire pulled from my CB install that was under the center console. It runs to the interior fuse block. The ground was hooked to an existing bolt under the console. (Sorry for the lack of detail).





All in all, it was a simple install (under an hour). Looks clean and sounds great! A very fun toy to have!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
Re: PA System Install: COMING SOON

what did you buy? how much? where??


Its going on 2 years soon with this at the top of my mod list.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: PA System Install: COMING SOON

I bought a Cobra 19 Ultra III from Wal-Mart for $35. It's a CB Radio with PA functionality. I will use it strictly for PA as I already have A CB.
It's a very small unit (Would prob fit in the gat box on the dash). I''m going by Radio Shack after work to pick up a 50 watt weatherproof speaker that I'll mount under the hood.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,365 Posts
Re: PA System Install: COMING SOON

mattmainster said:
I bought a Cobra 19 Ultra III from Wal-Mart for $35. It's a CB Radio with PA functionality. I will use it strictly for PA as I already have A CB.
It's a very small unit (Would prob fit in the gat box on the dash). I''m going by Radio Shack after work to pick up a 50 watt weatherproof speaker that I'll mount under the hood.
Do you think you have room in the bumper to mount the speaker? When I moved my horns from under the hood into my bumper, there was a big difference.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: PA System Install: COMING SOON

Tubig said:
Do you think you have room in the bumper to mount the speaker? When I moved my horns from under the hood into my bumper, there was a big difference.
I have my train horns in my bumper right now and I'm sure there is room. However, I plan on getting a Demello bumper in the near future so I don't wanna put anything else in the stock one. I had a PA speaker under the hood of my old F-150 and the sound was plenty! :)

My other thought was to mount the speaker right behind the fairing on the roof rack, but the speaker is white and I don't wanna bother painting it or running wire through the roof until I have roof lights.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
Re: PA System Install: COMING SOON

Thats the same CB i have.. i've just needed that speaker FOREVER!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: PA System Install: COMING SOON

DominicG said:
Thats the same CB i have.. i've just needed that speaker FOREVER!
Ha, didn't know that. Speaker is $25 at Radio Shack. Go pick one up!
 

·
Ordinary Extraordinaire
Joined
·
8,396 Posts
Re: PA System Install: COMING SOON

I got mine mounted under the hood with the 40 watt amp and it's plenty loud but I need to find another place, Right now it's sittin in my second battery future spot. behind the roof rack fairing it would stick over the top, I'm thinkin mabey somewhere underneath mabey above my skids somewhere. I dunno.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: PA System Install: COMING SOON

FunJunkie said:
I got mine mounted under the hood with the 40 watt amp and it's plenty loud but I need to find another place, Right now it's sittin in my second battery future spot. behind the roof rack fairing it would stick over the top, I'm thinkin mabey somewhere underneath mabey above my skids somewhere. I dunno.
I just finished my install. Took less than an hour. I'll have pictures up tomorrow.
I ended up mounting the speaker inside the front stock bumper facing downward. It looks very clean. All my connections are soldered and covered with heat-shrink tubing. Looks and sounds great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
Re: PA System Install: COMING SOON

Sweet, can't wait to get a CB and a PA system installed in my FJ!!!!!! I'll be checking out the pics manana!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,996 Posts
Re: PA System Install: COMING SOON

We're already in trouble with this thing! He was yelling at the people outside our gates that they are not welcome in our community and that they must leave! It was funny :D
 
G

·
Re: PA System Install: COMING SOON

I may be getting a PA and some strobes in my FJ, but I'm not tellin' where or what kind until it's done....negotiations are ongoing :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
Re: PA System Install: COMING SOON

IMachU said:
I may be getting a PA and some strobes in my FJ, but I'm not tellin' where or what kind until it's done....negotiations are ongoing :D
Federal signal for PA. Yelp, Wail, PA, and HiLo is a must. Whelen 6 strobe at 75 watts x 6 hide-a-way's. Wig wags on the DLR's and best of all a red take down above the rearview mirror. You can be the undercova brotha from another motha. ;D ;D ;D ;D DetectiveFJDave. That is what I use to have in my Ram 1500 dodge. It was fun to have. Scared as hell to use it.
 

·
Ordinary Extraordinaire
Joined
·
8,396 Posts
Re: PA System Install: COMING SOON

Acetechno said:
Federal signal for PA. Yelp, Wail, PA, and HiLo is a must. Whelen 6 strobe at 75 watts x 6 hide-a-way's. Wig wags on the DLR's and best of all a red take down above the rearview mirror. You can be the undercova brotha from another motha. ;D ;D ;D ;D DetectiveFJDave. That is what I use to have in my Ram 1500 dodge. It was fun to have. Scared as hell to use it.
I'm not sure what language that was but it sounds neat.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
Matto how did you wire the the speaker to the CB?? what kind of connector?? Just picked the same one up this morning.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top