FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went over to Man-E-Fre last Friday and picked up the OME Heavy Suspension Kit. I selected that setup due to cost and written satisfaction from many other FJC owners with the same kit. I originally wanted something more "race" inspired but the added cost wasn't that inspiring :-\ Some of the popular FJC builds that I follow use the OME Heavies without complaint. I also chose to get 'heavies' since I'll plan to get a bumper/winch (probably ARB) this year.

My called up my brother-in-law (FJ60 owner) and asked for his help. He is the grease monkey of the family. He said he was free to help me this weekend. I emailed him the install thread from the blue room and printed it out myself to review multiple times.

StepbyStep OME Install

I ran over to AutoZone to rent spring compressors. They loan tools for FREE ;D I got back around 9AM and we got started. The install thread was valuable but not everything always goes as planned. After following the steps of the thread, we got to the point of compressing the new springs on the new struts. The compressor I rented worked with the OEM coils but did not fit at all on the OME coils. We headed over to his mechanic and used their professional spring compressor. It had always been advised to get the coil overs assembled at a shop and I'd have to suggest that is planned for as well for future do-it-yourself folks. I tipped($) the shop owner for letting us use his tools.

Everything else in the thread was straight forward. Putting the strut back in the LCA was a b**ch but using the tire iron of the FJC helped out a lot to move it all back into position. In the beginning, the thread was very detailed with torque specs but torque specs started to disappear closer to the end. I just found the torque specs for the rest of the bolts and will double check my bolts later today.

Due to having to drive to the mechanic and having lunch, the install ended in the afternoon. I think the entire thing could take between 3-4 hours with all the right tools (even less time with more experience). I used air tools a few of times but it's not a necessity.

We ran the rig through the city and a short fire road in the Santa Monica Mountains. It's a bit stiffer over speed bumps compared to stock. The increased height is visually evident. I see bigger tires in my future. Brake dive and cornering is tighter just like many others have said. Overall, it's hard for me to describe absolute differences between stock and new suspension. I think it's good. You get the height without severe change in ride quality.

So I need check the torque on my bolts and determine if I should be getting my alignment done.

During the test drive, the FJ wasn't straying to the left or right. Do I still get it aligned soon or can I wait?

The stuff:

These were removed to get started. That's Mudloving's old bling plate by the way:

How we moved the LCA around:

Installed:

Lifted:

....the more I see it the more I want bigger tires ASAP!

·
Ordinary Extraordinaire
8,396 Posts
Looks nice bro. As for the allignment, It will need to be done but I reccomend waiting for about 100 miles or a couple days of driving to let the springs settle a bit. The thing with the allignment is it will still drive straight but your camber is off due to the new position of the assembly. you will end up wearing off the edge of your tire without alignment.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

I'll get it aligned this week. I'll look for a coupon ;D

I woke up late today cuz I was up all night after drinking too much coffee the night before. I better find time to torque the rest of my bolts!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Looks nice, I'm debating wether I should chose the heavies or mediums.

Are the heavies too stiff, or do you find them just right? The body roll on my FJ is too much and I want something better.

So when are the forth set of tires going on? ;)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tubig said:
Looks nice, I'm debating wether I should chose the heavies or mediums.

Are the heavies too stiff, or do you find them just right? The body roll on my FJ is too much and I want something better.
I've only driven the truck for 10-15 miles on the lift but I did speed through some familiar speed bumps. I can not say they have changed the ride drastically. I will not say they are "too stiff".

I'm gonna torque my bolts now and test drive again. I'll get back to you.

Tubig said:
So when are the forth set of tires going on? ;)
LOL....Tubig has been paying attention to my tire history for the past 8 months. If my friend buys my Nittos before Wednesday....I may have 285/75 R16 on Thursday. Otherwise it will have to wait....

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
poker said:
I'm gonna torque my bolts now and test drive again. I'll get back to you.
I tightened a few bolts and test drove it again. Nothing bothers me about the suspension. This is the best description I can give. My wife just drove out with it for a grocery run. It's her first time driving it post-lift. I'm sure she will give me her honest opinion.... :-\

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Congrat's Dawg! Welcome to the OME family. :)

I have the same setup, and noticed the speedbump thing right away. For some reason, the bumps in my neighborhood are sized just right to show the most difference from stock. BUT....after a few months, and several NICE trails, it is fine now, and not noticeable. Oh, and I can hit them at 20 mph with no worry or notice ;D

Tires, yeah. I picked mine (size wise) same time I got the lift. After they all went together, I wanted bigger tires. The guys at the shop were like "what do you think? looks great right?". All I was thinking was, "damn, should've gotten bigger tires." :(

Ah well. Congrats on being one more (not as rare) lifted BC!!!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CADavebert said:
Tires, yeah. I picked mine (size wise) same time I got the lift. After they all went together, I wanted bigger tires. The guys at the shop were like "what do you think? looks great right?". All I was thinking was, "damn, should've gotten bigger tires." :(

Ah well. Congrats on being one more (not as rare) lifted BC!!!
It's nice to bring another BC to the next level ;D The mods don't stop there.....actually...do they ever stop?

Dave, what size tire are you running? And what size tire would you rather have?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Looking good Poker. :) Did you have to use the spring compressor? I didn't need it with my Walker Evans. Firestone has a package where you can get unlimited alignments. I would look into that. Congratulations on the upgrade. Looks terrific!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys.

Fjamming said:
Did you have to use the spring compressor? I didn't need it with my Walker Evans. Firestone has a package where you can get unlimited alignments. I would look into that. Congratulations on the upgrade. Looks terrific!
I used the loaner spring compressor to remove the front strut cap(w/ bushing) from the old coilovers. I could not use the spring compressor on the OME cuz it would not fit into the new springs. We went to an auto shop to get the new OME coilovers assembled. I'm assuming the your Walker Evans coilovers were already assembled? or no?

I'll checkout the Firestone unlimited alignments deal. Great idea Tony ;) Thanks.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
The WEs were assembled. I did get them used. I don't know if they come assembled or not. I assumed they would be.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
poker said:
It's nice to bring another BC to the next level ;D The mods don't stop there.....actually...do they ever stop?

Dave, what size tire are you running? And what size tire would you rather have?
I have the ProComp 285/70/17 A/T. I just think there is some empty space in there that needs to be filled up a bit, with something that looks a log meatier. I probably need new wheels for that though, and the body chop.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
CADavebert said:
I have the ProComp 285/70/17 A/T. I just think there is some empty space in there that needs to be filled up a bit, with something that looks a log meatier. I probably need new wheels for that though, and the body chop.
have you considered getting mud terrains? going above 33" puts more stress on the suspension.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts