FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its finally done. I've slowly been woring on it for a few weeks now. I just got it from the powder coaters today :D. Perfect time to go test it in some rain, so i ran up to Holy Jim Trail. Some good Puddles, and a pond or two ;D Just need to wire and mount up my 3 lights.

The first bend
The final welds
Final on the truck, raw steel
Painted the now exposed area flat black
Fresh from the powder coaters
Complete at last

The bars block the lights slightly
But the beam is not affected

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Great job! OK, we're not letin' you off that easy though.

Here's what we need to know...

What type and thickness tube

What did you use to bend it

and

Did you accommodate for anchor points to mount the horns for the Mojave Viking Raid? lol :D

Seriously, that looks awesome!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

I went with 1.5" Dia. x 1/8 (maybe it was 3/8?) thickness cold steel pipe and 3"x3"x1/4" for the main mount. if the pipe were any bigger the bender wouldnt accept it. In the first pic you can see a long leverage bar and the shadow of a contraption. That was the bender. I think it'll bend 1.5" up to 90 deg.

I love how much it clears up the approach corners. Frees up alot of rubber. The tubes stick out a bit far atm, but that was intentional. I plan on getting some 285/70/17's and a couple 1.5 or 2" wheel adapters/spacers to get the rubber a little more out there.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Dude I would have to say that is the best DIY tube bumper out there. Do you work with metal all the time or this just a hobby? Where in Westminster are you? I'm by the westminster mall. I wouldn't mind checking out that bumper some day. Cheers

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Acetechno said:
Dude I would have to say that is the best DIY tube bumper out there. Do you work with metal all the time or this just a hobby? Where in Westminster are you? I'm by the westminster mall. I wouldn't mind checking out that bumper some day. Cheers
Thanks man. I love to build things. I had some help from my uncle, providing me with his shop in oceanside and getting the materials from his distributor. I live real close to you actually, Edwards/Garden Grove blvd.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I live right on the other side of the 22 freeway from you FJCruising! Literally. I can't wait to see your bumper in person!!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
So dave. When are you gonna get a tube bumper and wheels. You got everyhing else. Hehehe

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Great looking bumper and lights FJ Cruising! You've got serious skills, neighbor.

·
Registered
347 Posts
greattt job!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Wow!! That is a phenomenal bumper! Very impressive... :D

Signed,
OutofstateFJstalkerguy

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good job FJCruzing, you've got talent and skills! Well done!

I went with Intense Fabrication after seeing Mr & Mrs Mattmainster's installed on thiers;

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FJ-Piper said:
Are you getting much noise through the expanded steel on the highways?
Not at all. If you hit the bumper hard enough with your palm there is some vibration rattle that concerned me. When i am driving (off road included) though i dont hear any rattles or whistles. If i do hit something hard enough to casue the rattle i have other concerns at that moment ;) I put the expanded steel there to help with airflow to the radiator. I didnt want to drill holes in the diamond plate for flow, but i dont want brush coming in through the side. Plus it gives it a more completed look i think.

1sdposer said:
Good job FJCruzing, you've got talent and skills! Well done!

I went with Intense Fabrication after seeing Mr & Mrs Mattmainster's installed on thiers;
That was the kind of bumper i was looking to buy, but i wanted some protection for the side lamps/turn signals as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts