FJ Cruiser Forum banner
81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
The rear Metaltech LT kit essentially works like a "drop bracket" lift for the rear: you're moving the range of downtravel lower but also limiting the uptravel with the huge bumpstop spacers. While you will gain way more downtravel at slow flexy conditions, when your wheel hits uptravel you're going to bottom out way sooner than normal. I believe one of the guys fixed this by adding a coil poly spacer on top of the LT rear springs but then your rear end is going to sit way high in the air.
If you're running 35's aren't you going to limit the up travel anyways? Just asking, not defending MT as I don't have their set up, nor am I saying it's the way to go.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
all im saying is its not a "long travel" kit, its more of a rear downtravel relocator kit, the down travel number range will remain the same as a typical 3" rear lift.

·
Registered
176 Posts
all im saying is its not a "long travel" kit, its more of a rear downtravel relocator kit, the down travel number range will remain the same as a typical 3" rear lift.
So, the only real benefit would be to those who are running 35's on a 3" lift? Since they are losing up travel anyways, they could gain some down travel, gaining back a little more range.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
So, the only real benefit would be to those who are running 35's on a 3" lift? Since they are losing up travel anyways, they could gain some down travel, gaining back a little more range.
I didn't lose any up-travel with 35" tires on the FJC. The rear wheel well is large enough once you remove the flares and hammer back the rear corner to tuck with OEM bumps. Sang is on the money with this one.
The bump stops are there for the longer shocks they install in the same location. Do it right and cut up the mounts, cab and relink it, or don't do it at all.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
No one sells a 2.5 diameter shock for the collapsed/extended lengths you have Basil. I think I remember someone trying to get Radflo to make one but it was a no go.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I didn't lose any up-travel with 35" tires on the FJC. The rear wheel well is large enough once you remove the flares and hammer back the rear corner to tuck with OEM bumps. Sang is on the money with this one.
The bump stops are there for the longer shocks they install in the same location. Do it right and cut up the mounts, cab and relink it, or don't do it at all.
This! I was going to post what bobby said the last sentence. If spending 7K+ might as well run the shocks thru the floor, move gas tank, and relink the arms. Way cheaper and a lot more travel.

·
Registered
639 Posts
No one sells a 2.5 diameter shock for the collapsed/extended lengths you have Basil. I think I remember someone trying to get Radflo to make one but it was a no go.
mach1dsg had stated that Radflo could build a 2.5" rear shock with a very close extended / collapsed length as the OME 60071L setup he was running. However, he sold his FJ and bought a Mustang before completing the project. Any takers for picking up where he left off? :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Yes that is who I was talking about, I think about going with the long travel in the rear sometimes but then the cons out way the pros for me. Yes blah blah its better to have a tire on the ground at all times..but the reality is with the IFS you will most likely be on three wheels anyways plus my terrain I most frequent are dirt fire roads mainly. Plus next go around I dont want ICON's (already have) or radflo, going to go with fox with dsc or king with adjusters.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Yes that is who I was talking about, I think about going with the long travel in the rear sometimes but then the cons out way the pros for me. Yes blah blah its better to have a tire on the ground at all times..but the reality is with the IFS you will most likely be on three wheels anyways plus my terrain I most frequent are dirt fire roads mainly. Plus next go around I dont want ICON's (already have) or radflo, going to go with fox with dsc or king with adjusters.
KINGS. just sayin...

·
Registered
639 Posts
I wish King would offer extended travel shocks for the FJC. From what I have found only stock travel shocks are available. It seems that Fox has ext. travel options. It would be nice to squeeze out a bit more travel even when 3-wheelin'. I'm leaning toward Fox with DSC at this time and saving my pennies, lots of pennies...

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Not true on the kings, they offer extended front travel like the icons etc.. The rear are for 2-3 inch lift just like the others as well. True they don't offer long travel rear, maybe if you ask them nicely haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
639 Posts
You've found Kings with adjusters in extended travel? Special order?

I was looking at DownSouth Motorsports website, as they're local in S.D. I could go to King directly, as Garden Grove is fairly close as well.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I asked the guys as down south and they said they have them for no additional charge, just have to call and order not on the web site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Give Micah a call at DSM and tell him what you're looking for. Guarantee he can hook you up no matter what brand you're looking for. Dude knows his stuff! And I love my kings with the adjusters. It's so nice to be able to turn a knob and soften or stiffen them up. Makes for a plush ride on and off road.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Give Micah a call at DSM and tell him what you're looking for. Guarantee he can hook you up no matter what brand you're looking for. Dude knows his stuff! And I love my kings with the adjusters. It's so nice to be able to turn a knob and soften or stiffen them up. Makes for a plush ride on and off road.
yes the adjusters are the one of the main reasons for me, also the progressive vs digressive theory..

81 - 100 of 118 Posts