FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so how should i go about it?? I've read the DMV's website but you know how that is.. they try to confuse you.

I already know how to ride motorcycle, and i've road all kinds of 'em. So i got that part out of the way.

But from what i understand, you have to take a motorcycle riding course??? If i do, i found a course that actually happens every weekend at my college.

Please someone give me the low down on this...

G

·
Ok, don't take my word for this but I AM an expert in this area.

Go to the DMV. Get the driver handbook (in English, or any other language you may enjoy) :D. Study. Take the written test for your permit.

When you pass the written for your permit, call the Motorcycle Safety Foundation at:

Costa Mesa: 877-651-9132

Irvine: 949-727-4464

Mission Viejo: 949-713-9754

Set up your 2-day class. After you take (and pass) the safety course (using their bikes), take the certificate to the DMV. This will be an acceptable substitute for the driving portion of the DMV test. You will then be licensed to drive a motorcycle (Class M1). This certificate will also be good to get a discount on your motorcycle insurance.

The class costs about $250-300 for the two days. The first day is mostly classroom, with some practical application. The second day is all practical.

www.msf-usa.com

G

·
Looks good! It has all the benefits I posted earlier. Every officer at my station that goes and buys a new bike I point to this class. They have all come back and said it's a great class, and would highly recommend it.

Then, after you get a year or 2 of serious riding under your chaps, then you can take the advanced course. This gives you even more of a discount on your MC insurance rates.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Dom, Dave is right. Take the courses at local colleges and you can waive the riding test. All you do at the DMV is a written exam.

·
Banned
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks a lot guys!!

I want to get this license out of the way, and then later, some other licenses.

·
Ordinary Extraordinaire
8,396 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
FunJunkie said:
the course is mandatory here? I've always just done the written test then go in and take the riding test, about a half hour of waiting in line and then 10 minutes of swerving thru some cones. I have done the MSF courses too but those were of my own accord.
the course is NOT mandatory. but, it is highly recommended. the MSF courses are invaluable in teaching beginning riders how to ride safely, and with proper gear. it gives one an environment to truly decide if 2 wheels are suitable for them. it's amazing how many take the course, and just "don't get it." hopefully, the course steers them away from ever riding.

the DMV riding portion of the test is actually quite difficult to pass for a beginner, so the MSF is an added benefit here. additionally, taking the MSF course usually qualifies you to receive a slight discount on your motorcycle insurance.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Pretty much all true. You don't need to get the permit to take the course though, or at least I didn't have to back in 2000. I had ridden when I was a kid, and thought I could take and pass the written test, but no such luck.

After the course, things were just fine.

If you choose to do it without the course, you have to get your permit. You get 3 shots to take and pass the written test in a 6 (or maybe 12) month period. THEN, you have to take the riding portion. You have to supply your own bike, and follow their course. It is a SLOW speed test, so if you don't have a bike that is real good at slow tight turns, it just ain't gonna happen. The old farts with the gold wings can pass it, but they've been at this for a while.

I HIGHLY recommend the course. You learn what is really legal/illegal, and how to ride well. It won't prepare you for the first time on the SoCal freeway, but that takes a whole other level of something.

They do have it at Saddleback, which is where I took mine. If I remember correctly, you go to class one evening during the week, and then half a day on Sat or Sun. The weekend is on the bikes, that they have. They are usually Honda 125's.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I tried the slow speed stuff and there was no way I could do it in my Futura. I can't make the circle without leaning over and I can't lean over without some speed.

·
Ordinary Extraordinaire
8,396 Posts
yeah it's so much easier on a cruiser bike than a street bike, I used one of the loaners one time when my throttle cable snapped and though it was only a 250 there was no turning radius unless you did a cunterlean or high speed. on my harley the bars turn about 30 to 40 degrees more than a street rocket. I had that that hog draggin pipes and sparking through corners.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MrsMudLovingFJ said:
Dom, we should do this together. I really want to get my bike license.
sure thing.

i wont be doing it for a month or two though. need to save up a bit first.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
When you're budgeting for bike, don't forget the clothing and helmet. Jacket, pants, shoes, gloves, and helmet would easily run you 1-2k. Don't skimp either. It's better to sweat then to bleed.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Fjamming said:
When you're budgeting for bike, don't forget the clothing and helmet. Jacket, pants, shoes, gloves, and helmet would easily run you 1-2k. Don't skimp either. It's better to sweat then to bleed.
Very true. During the class, I remember the instructor kept saying not to skimp on the helmet. He just kept saying, it's your head...your head...get it?....it's your head! as in, it's really important, spend some cash on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Dom good luck with this!! If you have ANY Questions call Scott and he can direct you in good directions! He did not take the MSC and just did the driving test at the DMV, he has done this twice, (because he didn't have a bike for 10 years!) first one was on a 550 and the last one was on i believe an 1100 and he had no issues at the lower speeds. but he recommends the safety course. Please do not skimp on the safety gear, all of it! I see these guys wearing shorts and t-shirtsand flip flops! on the freeway zipping along and think man if they go down its gonna be bad! Scott may look like a dork, when he riding but he has safety first in his mind to ease his wife, and to save him some pain and possibly his life, tease him but you see him, and yes he sweats a little(lots) in the summer, but he will not be all road rashed up if/when he goes down! Please be smart! :) and safe!! for the line of work you want to be in you will see a lot of bad judgment from riders and it won't be pretty!

G

·
If you wind up financing a bike, most finance companies will give you 110% of the cost of the bike so you can also finance leathers and a helmet. Some say just a helmet, so as they said earlier...DO NOT SKIMP on the safety items!! My first car was a bike, and I've been riding street bikes for over 22 years. My favorites are Harleys, but I go by the philosophy that it's not WHAT you ride, it's THAT you ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts