FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was at the maple spring gate yesterday someone told me that by law atleast one gate has to be open to the forest since it is "public" land. Is this true? This is not the case here in cleveland nation forest?

·
Registered
16 Posts
They will close all gates when there is a public danger, IE lots of snow or fire danger and mud slides.

Patricia Ashley

·
Forum Horse
2,311 Posts
then they are trapt forever! hahaha! no really it happens to people hiking the north rim at the grand canyon stuck till the gates are unlocked

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey if they were able to make adventure passes unconstitutional I am sure that they can turn this around, right?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
FunJunkie said:
WHAT IF SOMEONE IS STILL IN THERE?
Thats why you always bring the master key. ;D

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Maybe you can use that on some gates, but most of the main ones have this big barrel, that's big enough to get your hands in, and then the locks are on a bar inside of there. This was at the Santa Monica mountains at least, and some of the big gates here in Cleveland Forest seem the same way. Cell phone might be better. ;)

·
Banned
3,370 Posts
CADavebert said:
Maybe you can use that on some gates, but most of the main ones have this big barrel, that's big enough to get your hands in, and then the locks are on a bar inside of there. This was at the Santa Monica mountains at least, and some of the big gates here in Cleveland Forest seem the same way. Cell phone might be better. ;)
There is an answer for everything ;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone know if its technically legal to park inside trabuco canyon road, lets say at the entrance gate to santiago truck trail? Im thinking of checking out joplin trail tomorrow.

·
Banned
3,370 Posts
There's parking space's before the gate specifically for that.

But if you park within the forest, you need an "adventure pass" as stated at the entrance.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Sometimes they will close it even if someone might still be inside. There's no way to watch the whole forest and clear it so they can close the gate. It's always a good idea to have the ranger station's phone number. Also a good idea to contact them in advance and find out about gate policy. If you can't call then you're in for a looonnng walk.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
I hate to say it, but if someone dies from exposure, after being locked in, those gates are going to stay shut. Permantnately. The powers that be will claim, it's for our own good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know what happens--you get bored waiting for someone to come open the gate. You also get cold. Last year, I went up the southside of Big Bear from 7 oaks, up clarks summit and there was alot of fresh snow. The gate at the top of the grade was open and we came down in Moonridge--to be met by a locked gate. :mad:

We doubled back to another exit I had used--to be met by a locked gate. ::) We had to call the fire dept and the ranger station. They said they would be right there. Three hours and 6 calls later, the ranger showed up. He seemed confused on how I got there. Explained no gates at 7 oaks and the gate at the summit was open.

Regards, SSC

·
Registered
29 Posts
Whenever one wheels, it should be SOP to keep plenty of food and water in the rig. I have a backpack with high energy bars and other assorted food for emergencies, not to mention plenty of water and other drinks.

When wheeling in cold weather, sleeping bags go into the rig plus another backpack with cold weather gear and clothing.

If I came to a locked gate in a remote area, where service was not provided and I needed to get through for a legit reason, the lock would fall to a tool for that purpose.

Regards, SSC

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts
Ranger told me a week ago or so that if we got that rain we got the gates would be closed the rest of the year and then some.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts