FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need to replace my knock sensor. any one know where this part is? made the mistake of having my girl friend take it in, and she tryed to tell me what the person at the dealer said but!!! the part she got right was 12 hours of labor....yikes. I can swing a wrench jus need to know where to start...
thanks..
we have an 07, v6 4x4, standard trans....:biggrin:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I'm not making myself clear, sorry! Does anyone know where the knock sensor is located on a 2007 fj cruiser? I cannot find any info on "The Location of this Part". I know where to buy one, but where is it on my engine?...any help would be great....thanks

the jokes make sense, this thing is a real mystery!!!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
I guess I'm not making myself clear, sorry! Does anyone know where the knock sensor is located on a 2007 fj cruiser? I cannot find any info on "The Location of this Part". I know where to buy one, but where is it on my engine?...any help would be great....thanks

the jokes make sense, this thing is a real mystery!!!!
We're just givin you a hard time. I really don't know but someone will probably chime in when they see this. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Found this over here po325 knock sensor - TTORA Forum seems to be a pita :frown:

You have to take off the upper and lower intake manifold to get at the knocksensor. That means draining coolant and opening the fuel system. Pain in the ass is what it is. I replaced my sensors, and a week later the harness failed, so do both the sensors and the harness at the same time. I've got the new harness in my toolbox, but a year later I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. Here's my interim solution:

The computer pulls all the timing if one of the knock sensors goes bad. If you drive it this way, it will vaporize the catalytic converters. It's a really retarded limp mode, literally. No timing advance at all as soon as the engine is under any load.

What you can do in the meantime while you save up for fixing it is splice the
knock sensor wires together. If you look behind the lip of the timing belt cover where it says "4 cam", you will see a 3 wire connector and a wire harness that goes over the upper radiator hose nipple and then down under the intake. That's the knock sensor harness. Unplug it from the main harness, carefully strip back the plastic tube around the knock sensor harness about 4". There's 3 wires, 2 are the knock sensor signal wires, the third is the ground shield. That is spliced to the braided ground shields about 2" into the harness. Carefully trim the insulation off the other two wires with a knife and twist them together a bit. Use solder to join them, wrap with electrical tape so it can't short to the ground wire, and wrap it all back up. Plug it back into the main harness, and the one working knock sensor will feed both inputs on the computer. You'll be replacing this harness anyway, so the splice doesn't matter in the long run.

With only 3 wires to work with, and one obviously connected to the woven ground shields, you'd be hard pressed to screw it up. Just make sure you're cutting into the knock sensor side, not the engine harness side. You should have a 5" section of wire to play with, and it should loop around the upper
radiator hose nipple.

No codes set since then and it runs great. That's why I've been able to ignore fixing it for so long.

The gray things under the water bypass tube are knock sensors

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/kmillan131/truck/2012-02-17_22-42-55_477.jpg

·
Registered
752 Posts
sub'd also......I've never even heard of the darn thing. I thought he was getting punked into asking the question. Like when a fellow employee asks you to ask your Sgt. for the A.S.S. restraints.......:rofl:
I was wondering the same thing even though I knew knock sensors are a real thing LOL

"Dream like you'll live forever.
Live like you'll die today."
- James Dean

·
Registered
752 Posts
Or when we send our brand new cherries over to the motorpool with the "weekly exhaust sample."

The best is when you get a new soldier and LT at the same time- tell the private to go ask the LT for a box a grid squares... the LT is just as confused as the private!!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Or when we send our brand new cherries over to the motorpool with the "weekly exhaust sample."

The best is when you get a new soldier and LT at the same time- tell the private to go ask the LT for a box a grid squares... the LT is just as confused as the private!!!
:rofl: When we get fresh meat SGTs and LTs, they don't know d*ck because they bounce around from yard to yard and watch to watch so, depending on the personallity of the supervisors we either help them run the show or throw 'em to the wolves...

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have yet to see an NCO get caught up, and in all honesty I wouldn't ever put another NCO through that around Joe. We need to set an example of leadership and watch out for eachother. Although I can think of a few NCOs I'd love to see get f'ed with LOL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts