FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here we go.
Got the call at noon that I didn't have to go to jury duty today, so I thought either do nothing, or check out if this cold system is bringing some snow to the local mountains. My destination - Maple Spring at the end of Silverado Canyon. I got there at 1:15 to see the gate locked, Two other guys were there hoping to get in, one guy was really angry that the forest service closed the gate and claimed that reasoning because of the fire was bs since it was modjeska that got hit. Anyway I didn't let a gate stop me, I came prepared to go on foot.

The snow is obvious in the background and shows that it is at a remarkably low elevation.

Ok so after 20 minuets or so after the gate it begins to become slushy, this is a good sign of things to come.

Ok so after 40 minuets or so its looking more like frost

Ok i think this qualifies as snow, Im not even at the part of the trail where it becomes dirt

I finally make it to the trailhead i like to call it, where finally the concrete ends and its all dirt, well i guess now snow

This image represented Shelter and heat when I got back, But I think I warmed up in style

Ok so basically after the trail began to become dirt I didn't go much further, I would say it was getting close to half a foot snow. There was a ranger in a pickup that came down right there and I talked to him and he told me he was barely able to get back from santiago peak, where he said there was atleast a foot, I am sure there is much more now. I am telling you guys when I was up there I heard an eary silence, I liked it, but then you heard "Crack" echoing everywhere, It sounded like all the trees were about to give way or something. All in all it was an awsome site to see here in orange county of an elevation of about 2500 feet, I will also note I saw some people with sleds on the way up while going back. Guys I am telling you this is a really cold storm, The amount of snow accumulating on this mountain is ridiculous, I would not be surprised to see it snow at silverado and along santiago canyon road tonight. I just wish I had skis with me lol.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sweet zombie jesus!

I need to take some time off work!!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
wow you walked the trail, why didnt you drive it? anyways looks awesome cant wait to do some snow exploring!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
HOLY BEEEEEEEEP..........thats frickin sweet!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I walked it because the gate was closed. For some reason down here in the OC they love to close the gates everytime it rains. I am curious if the gates were open or not at the other entrance off ortega. There were a couple people there at the gate telling me it didn't use to be like this before, and that back in 2005 there was snow like this and the gate was open, but there was a sign saying anything you do is your responsibility. I don't know I would have loved the gate to be open then I could have driven up there with a nice heater system and shelter, but hey this doesn't happen that much down here.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
busta3396 said:
I walked it because the gate was closed. For some reason down here in the OC they love to close the gates everytime it rains. I am curious if the gates were open or not at the other entrance off ortega. There were a couple people there at the gate telling me it didn't use to be like this before, and that back in 2005 there was snow like this and the gate was open, but there was a sign saying anything you do is your responsibility. I don't know I would have loved the gate to be open then I could have driven up there with a nice heater system and shelter, but hey this doesn't happen that much down here.
I think the one at Ortega gets closed first. They have a big office and facility there real close to that gate.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
This is in SoCal?!?!

While driving to work I noticed the mountains bordering north of the San Fernando Valley were white. Where's my darn camera when I need it??

Thanks for sharing pics of your run.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I saw Saddleback, completely covered in snow. Amazing. But Hesperia?!?! Wow! That looks like 2 feet of snow in the friggin desert! THAT is beautiful.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts