FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i didnt see any post about this... just wanted to ask if anyone has tryed installing the oem sub boombox. I bought my FJ and it had the 6 speaker with the single MP3 player. Just wondering if all i need is the sub, the wires are there but i wanna make sure before i go out and buy one.

Do i need to buy a factory amp?
Does the single MP3 have the input for the sub?

Its killing me that the radio sound like crap in the back even after replacing the front speakers and adding a 4" in the rear pillar (all alpine S series).
I wanted to add a killer sub but i really need the trunk space and i didnt want some idiot breaking into my car ... specially with the holidays coming up.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The factory sub is self-powered. The power wire and the speaker wires are all back there ready to be plugged in. There are different trim pieces that you will need as well.

I went with a small 6" Bazooka Tube subwoofer in the same location as stock. It works better, sounds better, but does not look better in my opinion. But I didn't need to buy the trim pieces either. So my cost was less.

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts
City,

Check ebay I see them selling there all the time. Between $250 - $600 depending how many people wanted it right now. When they were selling for $600 I dam near sold mine. I`m just not selling it for $250.00.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Oh crap....that's right Scott....I was there last week and he had a factory sub sitting in his shop that he took out of another FJ. He wants to sell it too. Thanks for the reminder Scott!!

And it's also where I got my Bazooka Tube and they installed it too. Great guys there!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like the look of the Bazooka tube
Anyway, if it helps, when we had our stereo done we abandoned the entire stock speaker system. Actually we had blown the roof speakers anyway and seriously stressed the rest. We ended up not doing a system with a subwoofer as per conventional wisdom, what we did was mount speakers in the rear pillars, crossed them over down 1 octave, put some huge speakers in the original door mounts. Those things moved enough air to get your pants slapping hid a few tweeters and powered up. The shop that did it had the truck for a week trying to get a subwoofer to work and sound good before they gave up and went with that configuration. It sounded great. And the system sounded great in the front and the back. I guess the 12 matts in either door or the 4 in either rear pillar helped too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
GTKrockeTT said:
bazooka has one specifically for the FJ Cruiser.
I am glad, because the stock on sounds like Shite
I just had the stock one in the wifes 08 wrangler upgraded, I could not get a decent thump out of that thing either.
Seems we just are not in the price range to get a really killer system with the FJC or the Wrangler, but then I want around 1200 watts and ejection seats in mine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts