FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally finished up installing my lift. I ran into a couple issues-breaking the UCA of the spindle, getting the rear coils in, and recovering from the soreness of being in positions I've never been in and using muscle I haven't used in a long long time :biggrin:

Front:
Ext. travel coilover with reservoir
Stock UCA unfortunately :frown:

Rear:
2" lift coils
Piggyback ext travel shock

Before:

After:

Front:

Rear: Can't see the suspension well but thats a 275/70R18 (33.4X11.5)

The ride is incredible...the rear feels like it's floating...both the front and rear make light work out of speed bumps, some pretty decent sized rutts, and a badly potted dirt road.
I'm very pleased with Icon. I'll have new UCAs on hopefully soon.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those fender wells sure look clean and painted.
Well thank you.......:cheers:

So far I've just hit the fender wells with tire shine and wiped....lol. I did hit towards the front with some black when I took off the stock bumper. It's amazing what tire shine does for the splash guard thingys and the bedliner looking stuff....:biggrin:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You need to hit some dirt and wear that paint away

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using FJCForums
You sir are right!........I'll probably head up to Gorman in a couple days and then the Step~Cal meet should do some damage. I have one more coat on the sliders and they'll be ready to go on and get some abuse.

Great job! Looks really nice
Thank you....It was a nice feeling to finish and see the stance and feel the ride. It made the sweat and bloody knuckles worth it.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Just make sure to go back and re-torque everything in a few hundred miles!
And wait a little bit for an alignment. The springs will settle a little more after 200 miles or so, so get it done then. I suggest getting a lifetime deal if you plan on wheeling. It's the best deal out there..I go to firestone, paid 200 bucks and have had my truck aligned about 7 times in the past year or so

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And wait a little bit for an alignment. The springs will settle a little more after 200 miles or so, so get it done then. I suggest getting a lifetime deal if you plan on wheeling. It's the best deal out there..I go to firestone, paid 200 bucks and have had my truck aligned about 7 times in the past year or so
Yeah I bought the lifetime allignment when I had my truck. It was $89 in '07.....I'm afraid to see what my local place wants now. I really wish I would've waited for the UCAs before installing this....even though it won't take lont to install them......I can't let it come to full droop on the ext coilovers yet. So, I can't do any serious crawling for a while. Plus I need to get my skids up to par. I only have lower a-arm skids (Icon......for if I decide to run a second shock and for protection) and rear shock skids and the rest is stock and tore up. One step at a time. I'm off to a good start since I've only had it since Nov. It was basically stock (with a leveling kit and the wheels and tires).

Sliders go on as soon as the mounting hardare get here....they ended up in Iowa:confused:.......so they are primed and painted in the back yard.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Looks good! What UCA are you going to get? I hear the LR UCA are awesome LOL

Thank you, bro........:cheers: Now that it's on I'm 10X more stoked.
After I put my ICONS on I couldn't wait to drive my FJ... this feeling has yet to go away too!

Just make sure to go back and re-torque everything in a few hundred miles!
X2

And Sears is where I got mine aligned (the guy there who does the alignments wheels a Lexus)... anyway, the max they offer is a 3 year for ~$150. He told me that when I "adjust my suspension" (making me need an alignment) to NOT EVER tell the people who check me in that "I adjusted my suspension." He said if I say that SEARS will void the warranty on the alignment. This is just an FYI b/c although it seems like common sense I had not thought of that until he mentioned it to me.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
And Sears is where I got mine aligned (the guy there who does the alignments wheels a Lexus)... anyway, the max they offer is a 3 year for ~$150. He told me that when I "adjust my suspension" (making me need an alignment) to NOT EVER tell the people who check me in that "I adjusted my suspension." He said if I say that SEARS will void the warranty on the alignment. This is just an FYI b/c although it seems like common sense I had not thought of that until he mentioned it to me.
That blows... every time I go to my local firestone I have to give everyone a walk around to show the new changes lol... they don't seem to mind!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks good! What UCA are you going to get? I hear the LR UCA are awesome LOL
I'm thinking LR, TC, or Camburg.......I've heard good stuff about Camburg......even the one's that use ball joints. I hear TC are squeaky but great. LR I haven't hear neagative about...Icon tubular I haven't heard great things about.

So, I'm not 100% sure but I have a few days till payday to figure it out. I'd like to have the Icon Billets but I can't justify the price. I got the Icon suspension, which I really, really wanted, for a good price that I couldn't pass up.

I've been like a stalker on the classifieds looking for UCAs but nothing. I should probably just get brand new because if there's something wrong, or if they are warped or the uniball is screwed then I'm screwed. I'd have to really talk to someone before buying a used. Brian and I talked quite a bit before I bought the suspension and I could tell from the first conversation he was a good dude. And he was.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts