FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To any one who can help me,

I just installed 3 PIAA lights and two Hella Lights. I ran both of them through the ACC fuse at the end. I first tried running the Hellas from the Guage 7.5 fuse and the PWR Outlet 15A but both got blown, I then replaced the both of them with new fuses. Now with all in the ACC 7.5A along with a CB Radio.

??? :-\My problem is that now my windows dont work, My Subwoofer won't work, the Dash/ AC/ Compass lights wont come on and the Side window lights don't work along with my power outlet not charging my Ipod. Is there anything I can do to fix this with out going to the Dealer? Can it be something other than the fuse? Someone please help. I would greatly appreciate any help/ info anyone can give me. Thank you.

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
If you have a voltage tester, either as a multimeter or a test light, ground one side of your test device and start testing the related fuses for power on both test points of each fuse. You cannot always rely on the visual window to determine if a fuse is blown.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Piper! I really appreciate the advice.

·
Ordinary Extraordinaire
8,396 Posts
Also remove the block fuses and test continuity form the prongs. I think homedad suggested the 30 amper. Please remove all the aux wiring first. something is wrong and will continue to blow fuses. the only tap to the fuse block should be to the switches, everything else should be powered off the batt with relays and circuit breakers. There are 2 silver spots on top of the small fuses that you can test at without removing them. Also I made a mistake of replacing a fuse in the wrong slot before and goofy things happened and freaked me out.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Fun Junkie, I think I finally fixed it. I I have not tested it with all the lights on, so far just the 3 PIAAs in the front and they seem to be fine as long as I wire them to a 15 fuse. for the 2 hella's since they are not as strong, I wired them to a 10. I hope they wont blow again.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To the battery, I think what initially happened was that I had 3 components wired into a 7.5 (The CB, The PIAAs, and the Hellas) That was very stupid of me because only I didn't know better. I took it to my Uncle's Shop today and my friend helped me replace the burnt Fuse and re-wired each component into seperate parts. for the PIAA,s I put them into a 15A Fuse, The Hellas were put into a 10 Fuse and the CB stayed in the usual 7.5 . Is that good or bad? I honestly have no experience with wiring lights so I am still learning everything as I "blow them up". Please let me know if what I am doing is ok.

To every who has been helping me, Thank You. I greatly appreciate it.

·
Ordinary Extraordinaire
8,396 Posts
Eagle Scout said:
To the battery, I think what initially happened was that I had 3 components wired into a 7.5 (The CB, The PIAAs, and the Hellas) That was very stupid of me because only I didn't know better. I took it to my Uncle's Shop today and my friend helped me replace the burnt Fuse and re-wired each component into seperate parts. for the PIAA,s I put them into a 15A Fuse, The Hellas were put into a 10 Fuse and the CB stayed in the usual 7.5 . Is that good or bad? I honestly have no experience with wiring lights so I am still learning everything as I "blow them up". Please let me know if what I am doing is ok.

To every who has been helping me, Thank You. I greatly appreciate it.
you should be ok but under the hood there is a open fuse slot for the offroad lights. there are actually many of these slots in the blocks, You can test for voltage either with a multimeter or a cheap grounded light probe. easiest way to tap is using an add a circuit with a fuse instead of hot jumping because with the add a fuse, the fuse will pop before a fire starts.
in theory anyway.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
When trying to figure out what size fuse to use, try to do the following...

Wattage / voltage = amperage. So, take the total wattage of the lights (IE, 3x 100, 3x55, etc.) and divide that number by the voltage (12 VDC) and that will give you the amperage.

In my case, I have 2 - 100 watt bulbs on a single circuit, which totals 200 watts. Divide that by the 12 VDC and you get 16.67. That means I need a fuse that is at least 16.67 amps in size, or it will blow. In my case, I have 20 amp fuse for that circuit.

You don't want to go too high, but you definitely want to cover the wattage/amperage of the circuit.

As another example, if you had 3 100 watt bulbs, that would be 300 watts / 12 VDC = 25 DC amps. Since it is right at 25, I would probably go with a 30 amp fuse.

I hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts