FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three times today I have gotten the "blue screen of death" in the span of about 10 minutes. It starts with the hard drive light being solid blue, as if it's working too hard. Then the screen freezes, then the "memory crash dump" blue screen of death. I have to hard boot it every time. Friggin Vista. Gah. It's frustrating, but completely random and unpredictable. Before today it hasn't happened in over a week. Ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
FJDave said:
Three times today I have gotten the "blue screen of death" in the span of about 10 minutes. It starts with the hard drive light being solid blue, as if it's working too hard. Then the screen freezes, then the "memory crash dump" blue screen of death. I have to hard boot it every time. Friggin Vista. Gah. It's frustrating, but completely random and unpredictable. Before today it hasn't happened in over a week. Ideas?
Get a Mac.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
god i hate vista, is the laptop relatively new?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I've had it a year now. It's pretty new, and when I got it, it had the latest *everything*. I honestly hate to love this thing, but I love it, I just hate what this stupid Vista does. But when it's not crashing, it's screaming fast, even with memory hog games like Halo.

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Since the title of this thread is "I Love/Hate my Laptop", I will speak on the Love portion as we've already heard some replies on the Hate.

Dave, please give more details: How old is the system, are you current with all patches and updates, did you turn off your system in the middle of an update because you didn't want to wait? Did you install or download any recent software? Did you install any recent hardware that required drivers such as a printer or a wireless mouse, camera, etc...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, this has been doing the "memory crash dump" blue screen since I got it a year ago. All patches and updates are automatic, and are current. When it installs an update, I just walk away and let it do the install.

No new drivers, no new peripherals. It's a basic computer. I sync my cell with it (Windows Mobile 6.1 based, as you already know), and I have my pictures on it from my digital camera (which I've had since I got the computer). I have a couple of games too. Actually, 3 installed from me, the rest came with the OS. No other drivers have been installed.

I use Firefox, since I get the Blue Screen a lot less with FF, compared to IE. Like I said, I've been getting this issue since literally the first time I booted the laptop. And I REFUSE to deal with Dell customer service....

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Ooooh my! I am concerned that your problem might not go away until you buy a mac as was suggested by Matt because it appears your hatred for Microsoft and Dell is strong.

If you want to remain a PC user, I suggest you go to the website http://support.dell.com/ then click on "Technical Support", then click "Show me more problems" (2 times) until you reach the third page in which you will see this item: "I receive a blue screen error message on my computer". Go through the troubleshooting wizard and report back your findings.

Just from what you've already stated, I'd bet that it's bad memory or outdated hardware drivers. One of which might be under warranty and the other a simple fix by typing in your Service Tag (sticker on the bottom of the laptop) number on the Drivers Download page at the same above URL.

Now if you had bought the laptop through me, as I have offered to any forum member, (I receive no compensation for getting you a quote), you'd have 3 year warranty and NBD on site parts replacement to take care of that bad memory

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didn't know you did that Piper...at least back when I bought this laptop. Don't get me wrong....I LOVE this laptop, when it works until I decide to shut it down.

I'll try that link. I was under the impression that I had to talk to someone in Pakistan or something in order to deal with the issue. Doing it online will be a lot better....I think. I'll let you know in a bit!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gah. I have to write down the stop code next time this happens. Unfortunately, the screen is not up for more than a second or 2, then it goes away and the machine reboots.

Is there a way to look up a crash log or something to get this stop code number?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
FJ-Piper said:
Ooooh my! I am concerned that your problem might not go away until you buy a mac as was suggested by Matt because it appears your hatred for Microsoft and Dell is strong.
;D Good one.

FJ-Piper said:
Just from what you've already stated, I'd bet that it's bad memory or outdated hardware drivers.
I agree. 99.9% of the time you get a blue screen, it is hardware or driver related. With XP and beyond, the chances of any application software causing a blue screen is nearly zero. Could be RAM, HDD, CPU, etc. RAM and HDD could be swapped out. Other failures are WAY harder.

I like laptops, but this is just one area of trouble. With a desktop box, you can usually fix/replace the broken bits. Not so easy on a laptop.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So true Dave. And if you get a laptop with a case that can be opened (easy access to the guts and working components), they are very expensive to buy. I knew this issue would be a pain in the ass to diagnose/fix, which is why I've lived with it since I love my laptop!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, it crashed again (4 times today now, most ever). I got the code they asked for, and now their site is having issues. WTF?!?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hahahahaha....if it were only that simple. No, it's just the way things go with me. That's all.

·
Ordinary Extraordinaire
8,396 Posts
I gotta say to all the vista haters, i really think it's all hype and rumor. i've been running my widescreen toshiba notebook with vista for over a year with not one crash or issue. My Iphone has crashed more in the couple months I've had it than the PC running vista. And Dave, sorry i got nothing helpful to contribute. lol

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
I support over 100 Office and Home user Vista machines. 98 % of them are Dell OptiPlex or Latitude. I have very little problems and what problems I do have are usually related to someone running old hardware and trying to force drivers on them that Vista says "NO, I don't want those, they're gonna hurt me" but they find a way to get them on anyways and then BOOM! Call the IT guy...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This machine has been doing this since day 1, so it's something Dell did to it. Besides, I can't install hardware on this machine, other than the external HDD I got yesterday to back up the hard drives on my 2 computers. Oh well....still working on it.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just spent the last 2 hours installing/updating each of the drivers and updating the BIOS via the Dell site. I'll try the RAM thing too Dave.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts