FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to reduce the noise level in my FJC it looks like the next step is to install a "Hood Pad".

They used to be a common item attached to the underside of the hood.

My question to the forum is, are there any other vehicles that use the same hood as the FJC and is there a factory hood pad for it.

I know it is a long shot, but you never know.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a heat rating for peel and stick deadners like dyna-mat? Would be easier to custom size to the hood
They do make a self adhesive mat for under the hood. I was hoping to find the fiber type mats, since they would be lighter that the Fatmat material. Just want to make sure the hood does not get to heavy and overload the lift struts.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I would think more sound transfers through the firewall than any noticeable sound transferring through the hood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think more sound transfers through the firewall than any noticeable sound transferring through the hood.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You may be correct. The bottom of the hood is much easier to insulate than the fire wall. On the inside of the cabin, I insulated as high as I could without removing the dash. I recall a that my early model cars had a hood pad so I thought that would be the next surface to insulate. When the blower, waste gate, is not in a boost mode, there is very little noise in the cabin. When under boost though, the blower whine is very noticeably. So much so that a big grin is raised.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the hood pads main purpose for fire suppression? When motor caches fire, plasticky clips melt releasing the pad witch molds over top of motor to smother the flames? I don't see how would it impact your sound insulation it being completely detached from the cab.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the hood pads main purpose for fire suppression? When motor caches fire, plasticky clips melt releasing the pad witch molds over top of motor to smother the flames? I don't see how would it impact your sound insulation it being completely detached from the cab.
shhhhhh.... your gunna spoil a possible funny install when it falls into the fan or the engine over-heats...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perhaps you are correct. My thinking was it might reduce noise transmitted from the blower through the hood and windshield.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts