FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For weeks, I've been brainstorming, sketching, designing and using Google Sketchup to come up with the most practical rear cargo setup for my rig.
Finally, I came up with a design and made it come to life.

Some of my requirements for the setup were:

• Space for ARB Fridge/Freezer to mount and still be accessible
• Drawer large enough to hold tool kit, recovery straps, hi-ift base, shackles, C02 tank fittings/hose etc...
• Cover only the rear cargo area without having to remove back seats.
• Easy to remove & install on my own.
• Leave access to the compartment where the bottle jack is and where the diff breather will be
• Keep the inverter usable.
• Lockable drawer
• Space to mount my 10lb C02 Tank

Just a few notes...

Everything is made from 3/4" plywood. The drawer slides are rated for 100lbs fully extended. The unit is bolted to the floor in 2 locations where the d-rings were previously, and is held don in the rear by a turnbuckle connected to one of the d-rings in the back.

I have a flat-head extension cord that fits in the inverter outlet that is long enough to be run anywhere in the vehicle.

The carpet was stuck down with contact cement and then stapled.

If I didn't have such a hard time finding the right carpet, the whole thing could have been done in about 6 or 7 hours and the whole thing cost me just under $100.

There are still a few finishing touches to be done:

• I will be adding a lock to the drawer.
• The existing handle will be swapped for a black, flush-mount handle.
• Two 12V sockets will be flush-mounted to the box..one will be used for the fridge..
• Tie down points or d-rings will be added to hold the fridge down even though it fits very snug
• I'm sure I'm forgetting something....

Anyways, here are some pictures. If you have questions, ask away!

Just getting started...

Basic frame

Test Fit

Finished

In use

And the finishing touch....

·
Registered
995 Posts
Nicely done Matt! Can't wait to see it in person. ;)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Good job Matt it came out great.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Looks GREAT Matt!!

A couple of questions for ya:

Are you using the vehicle rear door to hold the drawer shut, or do you have some sort of latch? It could be fun opening the rear door on an incline....

Is the drawer on sliding (with roller bearings) mechanisms on each side?

And did MudLoving do the same set up?

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FJDave said:
Looks GREAT Matt!!

A couple of questions for ya:

Are you using the vehicle rear door to hold the drawer shut, or do you have some sort of latch? It could be fun opening the rear door on an incline....

Is the drawer on sliding (with roller bearings) mechanisms on each side?

And did MudLoving do the same set up?
Thanks Dave!

1. I've bought 3 locking latches so far, but haven't been happy with any of them. I'm going back to Lowes tonight to look again.
I think I'll end up using a locking, recessed paddle latch.

2. Yes the drawer is on sliders with bearings. It slides in and out very smooth, even fully loaded.

3. No, Mud hasn't built one yet, but I have a feeling I'll be helping him build his soon.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Love it! This is a great idea! But one question...How do you access the outlet in the rear cargo area!

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MRSFJ2U said:
Love it! This is a great idea! But one question...How do you access the outlet in the rear cargo area!
Thanks!
I have an extension cord with a flat head that fits right in the socket and is long enough to reach anywhere in the FJ.

·
Registered
287 Posts
damn thats pretty nice.... i definitely gotta check it out! the only thing stopping me from making a storage box is that i would like to be able to still sleep in it...

scott

·
Registered
239 Posts
hey matt i will finish your body chop if you help me build my storige unit im not good with wood ps yours looks aswome

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Looks good! Are you eventually going to get slides for the fridge?

I have a question about the CO2 tank though. I've read that you aren't really supposed to use the CO2 tank while its on its side. Something about the liquid CO2 freezing up things, which would lead to very disastrous things. Have you had any problems with using the CO2 tank while on its side?

FJCDZNUTZ said:
damn thats pretty nice.... i definitely gotta check it out! the only thing stopping me from making a storage box is that i would like to be able to still sleep in it...
If you are on the blue forums, LandCruiserSteve built drawers that still allow him to sleep in it. Adding drawers would get rid of the hump in the middle. All you have to do is build an extension to make it completely flat.

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tubig said:
Looks good! Are you eventually going to get slides for the fridge?

I have a question about the CO2 tank though. I've read that you aren't really supposed to use the CO2 tank while its on its side. Something about the liquid CO2 freezing up things, which would lead to very disastrous things. Have you had any problems with using the CO2 tank while on its side?

If you are on the blue forums, LandCruiserSteve built drawers that still allow him to sleep in it. Adding drawers would get rid of the hump in the middle. All you have to do is build an extension to make it completely flat.
I will only be storing it on it's side. I'll remove it from the bracket to use it.
Also, I don't have a need for slides for the fridge as it's completely accessible where it sits.

mtnkraut said:
Nice, how much does it weigh?
My guess is about 50 lbs. I'm able to install and remove it on my own, even with the drawer in. I'll try and weigh it tonight.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Wow....looks incredible Matt!! But the real question is how does the pup like it ;D !!?

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
butchie2srf said:
Wow....looks incredible Matt!! But the real question is how does the pup like it ;D !!?
Thanks Brent! The dog rides in the back seat so I'm sure she won't care!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts