FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say someone has $200 dollars to blow from an anniversary gift... and he wanted to get some recovery gear.

A High-Lift with all the goodies (some chain, D-rings, base, isolator, high lift mate and roll bar attachment) would run me approx. $200 in total. An XJack is around $206 right now (before the rumored 3% ARB product line jump scheduled for May 1st)... I have heard the horror stories about the High-lift, but like it's versatility, plus I would want to learn to use it properly first, but I like the XJack concept and "safe" use though perhaps not as versatile (winch, spreader etc).

What would YOU do?

Thoughts ???

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
What I 'did' was get a hi-lift. I haven't had any reason to think that was a bad choice either. Like you said, it's versatile. I don't have ALL the options for the hi-lift, but I'm getting there. I need one of the slider adapters from cowboy4x4, and the wheel lift adapter.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Tough call. I would get the X-Jack, then shop for a hi-lift. You don't need ALL the accessories... You can often find Hi-Lifts in craigslist. I've never seen a used x-jack for sale.

·
Registered
857 Posts
FJVP said:
When I bought the Hi Lift Jack I was unaware of the X Jack....I wish I knew about it first.
Don't fret, the Hi-Lift has been a standard all-around tool to have for over a hundred years...the X-Jack will be a welcome addition to anyone's compliment of recovery gear, but the Hi-Lift jack has versatility the X-Jack cannot provide - as a come-a-long / hand winch, log splitter, compression / expansion tool (sort of a manual jaws of life), etc...The X-jack is fantastic for soft terrain lifting, with a large, stable base, and much safer as a jack, in general. But try winching with one :eek:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this a good deal?

$80 bucks, new hi-lift all cast (red), hi-lift bag of accessories (the hi-lift kit), and cover. Never used only tried out (practice) once.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I got mine used. Jack, jack mate, bag for jack, HD tool bag, base, chains, chains and hooks, and shackles for $110. It was never used. Guy got stuck once and bought a ton of stuff, but never went back out. ;D

These jacks are so strong, they don't go bad. Just lub the mechanisms and they'll be fine. $80 is a good deal!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, picked it up the stuff today... Craigslist was the great call... he had only used the jack to try it out and play with, a few scrapes and some surface rust from being banged around in the garage. He sold his jeep due to a growing family and the new "van" :eek: now need to get some of those Cowboy 4x4 slider adaptors at a good price!

·
Registered
857 Posts
boboso said:
Thanks guys, picked it up the stuff today... Craigslist was the great call... he had only used the jack to try it out and play with, a few scrapes and some surface rust from being banged around in the garage. He sold his jeep due to a growing family and the new "van" :eek: now need to get some of those Cowboy 4x4 slider adaptors at a good price!
...Call me, we've got 'em in stock at the store ;D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cruiserlarry said:
...Call me, we've got 'em in stock at the store ;D
Will be calling tomorrow... thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts