FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best friends wife works tonite, in Lancaster, but he wants her to be home for Christmas. Unfortunately, the roads between Bako and Lancaster all all expected to be closed. Our plan is to use our 4x4 capabilties, and find a way to get there and back. Anyone know the best way to accomplish this? Oh yeah, we are not going up the coast to Santa Maria, that is not an option.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
you are so good. good luck. (this sounds like a math problem from jr. high school)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Are you guys coming from Bakersfield? If so will this work, its all dirt road or back roads.

Google map

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, from Bakersfield. We hear the Grapevine will be closed, as well as hwy 58 and hwy 178. I am thinking we can make it through Jawbone, maybe.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I added a map to my last post. Not sure if thats the Jawbone but I think it would work if there isn't to much snow on the trail.

Or you can run through the CHP stop on the 5. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jeshua said:
I added a map to my last post. Not sure if thats the Jawbone but I think it would work if there isn't to much snow on the trail.

Or you can run through the CHP stop on the 5. ;D
Thanks Josh. Thats not Jawbone, but it does go over the top without chp check points. Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Ya I'm thinking it will be your best chance. Not sure how low the snow got over that way but the first range you go over is between 4000 and 4500 feet that is dirt, then you go through a valley at around 4000 feet on pavement, then up to ~4800 feet at oak creek pass also on pavement then down in elevation into Lancaster.

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Tire chains/cables are your friends on icy trails, they're not just for paved roads you know, make sure you got em, just in case.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We're gonna try it, getting chains in an hour. Wish I still had my old set, I liked the real chain ones better

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
When are you guy leaving to go pick her up?

Be safe Steve and watch out for open mine shafts. :D

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jeshua said:
When are you guy leaving to go pick her up?

Be safe Steve and watch out for open mine shafts. :D
We are leaving at 7:00am, the earliest my buddy can get a sitter.We hope to be back by noon or 1:00, unless we go mining.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Didn't want to bring the kid with. :) Before you go make sure you got some of our numbers so we can come save you if need be.

Your a good friend to this guy thats for sure. Cheers to you.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jeshua said:
Didn't want to bring the kid with. :) Before you go make sure you got some of our numbers so we can come save you if need be.

Your a good friend to this guy thats for sure. Cheers to you.
I've got the number of another friends uncle who live in Victorville, he is our backup, hopefully we won't need him. My friend Cleaves' uncle works with my other friend Justins' wife, so we have a place to crash if we need. Hpoefully, the snow won't be as bad as the news here says.

Yeah, I have many aquaintances, but only 4-5 friends

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate everybody who has been so gracious in offering to help. We should be okay, but if not, I have my internet phone. I will post to this thread if we get stuck. I hope we don't because I would like to spend Christmas with my family too.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just woke up a couple of hours ago. It was a cold, cold night. The irony, my buddies wife got off work at 3:00 am, 4 hours early, and there was a break between storms, so our help was entirely unnecessary. Still, we did'nt know that was going to happen. We left Bakersfield about 6:30 last night. Our plan was to drive to Red Rock canyon, and stay the night at Sears cabin. My friend Justin, thought he was going to be able to find a sitter, but unfortunately, he could not, so we ended up taking his 3-year old with us. The original plan ws to pick up his wife Melissa, and I would drive her home, and Justin would drive her back to her Prius Monday. We both have winches and chains, so if the road had been closed, we knew of several routes that we could drive, that only the locals use. All that changed pretty quickly. We got to the cabin at 9:30, but it was already occupied, so we went back a few miles, to the campgrund where my FJ fell through the ground last year. Justin left his jeep running, so his son could sleep, and stay warm. We built a fire, and waited. At 2:00, we planned to drive out to hwy 14, and call his wife, let her know everything was allright, then go back and get 2-3 hours sleep. When we called, she told us she had just got off work early, so we drove to Mojave and met her. As we were driving, the snow and rain ended and the stars came out. After checking the weather staion, we found we had a2 hour window ro get home, so all three of us drove home. Got there about 4:30. I know it was for nothing, but we did'nt know at the time. Oh well, I guess thats what friends are for.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was fun, I won't lie. And she just called, told me she is cooking me diner, and then taking me out to bars, as designated driver, Wohoo.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Glad it all worked out in the end Steve.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts