FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here in ft worth ty we recently had terrible weather as I’m sure you all know. I had to get out in my 2007 4wd baby to pick up a friend that didn’t have electricity and I took her out a couple other times. Once was an emergency to a hospital for my sister. About 10 miles away. I didn’t have time to warm my lil girl up properly. Anyway, since that cold weather I notice a smell, not overwhelming, but it’s definitely there. It smells a bit like burning rubber. Similar to peeling out tires I guess. I’d picture it almost like an electrical fire where you smell wire cords burning. What I’m thinking is, maybe when I drove it the belt could have worn down some or something from freezing temperatures possible freezing it up some, maybe also expanding g and contracting in freezing weather like tires can do. I thought that maybe it wore it out a bit and now it doesn’t get quite the grip on all the pulleys that it should and maybe that smell is from it being a little bit loose and sliding friction on those pulleys causing that burning rubber smell. My car also doesn’t have the best seal when it comes to oil. It doesn’t leak oil to the point that I have oil spots or anything but I always add a quart or so about 800-1000 miles before my scheduled oil change to play it safe because of this leak. By the time it is time for an oil change if I didn’t add oil it will sometimes have leaked out enough around the seals where it is up to 1 1/2 to 2 quarts low. So, anyway, I don’t know if this smell is from oil leaking onto something and the burning smell be it on something hot or maybe that belt. Does anybody have any ideas based on my descriptions what all it could be and if I’m on the right track? I do want to eventually get those seals changed but it is expensive and unfortunately I’ve been out of work since covid hit. I’ve even had to move back home w my mom, which is actually good bc she is old and needs my help around the house and running her to the store and stuff... anyway, I’ve resorted to picking things up to scrap and also finding things to sell on Facebook just to make ends meet. So I can’t afford fixing the seals right now... does anybody know what that burning smell can be?! Any suggestions I’d greatly appreciate! I’m praying I can take advice and problem solve by fixing it myself if it’s something I can do, like changing a belt. Also, a couple I can even smell it when I get out of it and walk by the front end. . Like I said, it isn’t an overwhelming smell, but it is there and I need some advice. I can’t be ignorant and screw something up from driving it. I went and had it put on an auto parts store cpu and nothing comes up other than the codes for emissions from I think my busted lose vacuum hose, but that happened well before this smell... so it isn’t something that registered on the cpu. Thanks again! It’s not just a car to me, that’s my baby and when my boy turns 18 it will be his baby! I’ll get him another tank to drive when he turns 16 and allow him at least 2 years of driving before giving him the do nut blueberry Cookie Monster! He named it that when he was 5 after we went off roading and doing do nuts lol. He loves her! He is 10 now and is counting the days til he is old enough to get her. Of course when I do give her to him I’m going to have to get me another. I may find another well before then if I can bc the value only goes up! Why must soooooo many of us love them so much! I wish it was just me lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
You might want to post your question the other FJ Forum. They have a lot more knowledgeable people there.

Here is the link. FJ Cruiser Forum

1 - 2 of 2 Posts