FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Got my call sign KK6GIV (Technician class):flash: now I just need to save for my radio... and practice for my general test
Congrats Curtiss !

I have one of those UV5-Rs Captain's talking about. They arent bad really and in a pinch work fine for repeaters etc.. with a mobile antenna and an SMA adapter.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Anyone ever receive an "Official Observer Advisory Notice"?

I did! I got a notice that I was operating on the band edge on a HF frequency. I do not own a HF rig, nor have I ever keyed a mike on HF so someone misunderstood the call or used mine.

Here's how I mounted my FT-8800:

HamInstall.jpg

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I did! I got a notice that I was operating on the band edge on a HF frequency. I do not own a HF rig, nor have I ever keyed a mike on HF so someone misunderstood the call or used mine.

Here's how I mounted my FT-8800:
Install looks great.

I have never been involved in a hobby where so many participants want to be hall monitors, and so bad at it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have never been involved in a hobby where so many participants want to be hall monitors, and so bad at it.
I've been involved with amateur radio for 15 years or so, and I greatly appreciate the efforts of other ham operators to keep the airwaves functioning properly, since the FCC has no budget or manpower to do so. If you want unregulated 2-way communications, you have CB. But if you want a radio service that will actually be there with folks ready to help in times of emergency, you'll learn to appreciate the self-monitoring policies of amateur radio. Of course, there are always a few that take things to extremes - but most just gently remind folks when they stray from the regulated path, so that things works properly when the s#@t hits the fan :cheers:.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I was thinking of getting a ham plate but if you google my call you get my name and address so that might not be good the way I drive and I have a couple of stalkers.. :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Get a PO Box or use your work address and you will be golden. I don't get my mail delivered to my home for that specific reason. another benefit of the ham plate is you do not pay a yearly surcharge for vanity plates like you do for other vanity plates. You pay once for the actual plate and you are done.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Started studying for my HAM only last night and passed it at FJ Summit today. Used hamexam.org. If you're in a pinch and want to learn how to speed study for this thing let me know.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Started studying for my HAM only last night and passed it at FJ Summit today. Used hamexam.org. If you're in a pinch and want to learn how to speed study for this thing let me know.
Welcome to the club.........My call sign is KK6GHW. I wish we could get more members to get their license, it would make comm sessions a lot easier in the hills.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts