FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else here likes to go out Geocaching?

I've hidden a couple caches and found a few as well. I often consider placing new ones when I hit the trails and I enjoy finding the ones in the middle of no where a lot more than the ones hidden in urban areas..

Anyone interested in doing an occasional Cache run?

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
I thought there was a thread on geocaching somewhere here...guess not.

I'm in for it thought, we have a blast with mr and mrsmudlovingfj geocaching!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sounds intersting! I am game but I dont know if my TomTom is?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
DominicG said:
i dont really understand geocaching.. explain please :)
Internet / GPS based treasure hunt. info and coordinates posted on geocaching,com, you take your GPS and go find the container full of trinkets.

I'm in. I too have hidden and found. Not much activity for me the last few months. Need to get going with it. I always 'intend' on adding that to the list of things to do on a trail, but never actually do it.

Maybe the Main Divide run?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I tried Geocaching but I've never found found anything. I've had people come to me asking, "are you looking for rats?"

I also heard my GPS isn't very accurate :)

I'll Geocache with anyone on the next run I go with you....should be fun.

I

·
0 Posts
On that note, is there a way to calibrate a GPS (lower end unit)?

Heck, if I'm available I'd like to try this geocaching you speak of....

·
Registered
944 Posts
I love geocaching! we should def setup a cache run sometime

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Poker and other dave...

You can't really calibrate. The way it works is as a computer/calculator. All ones and zero's.

BUT... I had the same problem with my first device. It gave me too many options and I tinkered too much. BUT, I learned from that experience. Bring your GPS units with you to the events, and remind me. I can probably help you out.

I've only had one REALLY old cheapy unit that I couldn't figure out. No manual for that one either, which made it tougher.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Holy Thread Revival Batman!

Did this ever get off the ground? My family has recently picked this up and I think I would rather do it with FJ'ers.

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts
I never tried it. Sounds fun but I too don`t have a GPS. I guess I could tag along and when I notice the whole group pointing at one area I could run like hell to see if I could find it before everyone else got there :rofl:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Been awhile since I did any. Regular modern day treasure hunt. Even the older GPS units should be good enough, because you get clues to try and figure out the locations--it's not just find-it-at-the-coordinates easy! Amazing what can be hidden in plain sight.

Check it out at:

http://www.geocaching.com

Yeah, it's the same link Kokopeli put out...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts