FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wake up this morning, get to work and notice someone stole the OEM spare tire off the back of my truck! wtf, one wheel/tire ??? ? Its just a tire, but it was MY tire. Must be a huge unicycle that guy's got. I was all bent out of shape all day. Deciding not to let some low life p**** ruin my day, I went to the tire shop I use to work at and ordered myself 5x Unique Steel Wheels, and 5x Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/75-16. They will be in Fri or Mon. ;D

Anyone recomend a good tire lock? My buddy at the shop is throwing in free lock set but it will most likely be spline lugs. Anything better? Or go with an electrified fence? Shotgun? i could tie my pitbull up to the truck, but hes way to friendly.

Please everyone, lock your stuff down. I dont want this happening to anyone else..

·
Registered
287 Posts
wow that really sucks... i really need to get a wheel lock too... you can never be too prepared... i got my hi-lift locked up... and also my d-shackle receiver after that got stolen...

scott

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Man, that's very bad. I'm sorry to hear that! You are right over the 22 freeway from me, too. Looks like I'll be looking into that Master Lock spare tire lock. I hear that's the best one, and it fits on the wheel very snugly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is sick Busta! I'll take 2.

Also looking into a security camera. Anyone have any expierence with these? Night mode is a must. Motion activated would be nice too. Gonna check out ebay tonight.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your mishap. You can order Gorilla locks from Discount Tire. They can even match them so you only need one key.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I was worried about the same thing and I picked up some wheel locks right away. It was my first "mod" ;D

As for the security camera, what exactly are you trying to gain by having video of some jerk-off stealing your stuff. Unless you know the fool who is on the tape, I really don't think the cops will do much with a video of the indecent. You could always put a sticker on the rig saying that it is under surveillance and spend the saved money on some good mods. Just a thought.

You may see a few FJ's in your area with missing tires now, the a-hole has to get a full set some-how I assume.

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
FJ Cruising said:
That is sick Busta! I'll take 2.

Also looking into a security camera. Anyone have any expierence with these? Night mode is a must. Motion activated would be nice too. Gonna check out ebay tonight.
lol I did that to, costco online has a good set at a good price, they have motion and use a dvr recording system.. you can also access the cameras through cell phone with 3g internet

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Krishna said:
Sorry to hear that, I was worried about the same thing and I picked up some wheel locks right away. It was my first "mod" ;D

As for the security camera, what exactly are you trying to gain by having video of some jerk-off stealing your stuff. Unless you know the fool who is on the tape, I really don't think the cops will do much with a video of the indecent. You could always put a sticker on the rig saying that it is under surveillance and spend the saved money on some good mods. Just a thought.

You may see a few FJ's in your area with missing tires now, the a-hole has to get a full set some-how I assume.
Wrong! I have been informed otherwise by my local PD. They told me THEY LOVE VIDEO, a lot of theft is conducted by repeat offenders and some times, the cops will watch and even recognize the person. Besides, there is a lot one could learn from reviewing video. The car they rolloed up in, ethnicity, height, weight, etc... where they touched for possible areas to lift prints. How they did it so you could counter from it hapening again

·
Registered
102 Posts
FJ-Piper is correct. Permission to retract previous statement. :p

At first read I thought video to be overkill for this situation, but in review it could help give more information into the Who,What,W...,W...,W..., and Hows.

It would cost about as much as a good alarm and a gun, and on the positive, nobody would get shot. ;D

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
It's all about economics. If you put on wheel locks, the "cost" for the crook goes up. He's there longer making the chance of getting caught go up. That's my theory at least.

I've seen tires taken from under pickup trucks that didn't have them locked. It's kind of crazy. This one was in front of a place I worked at in Oxnard, and the guy was caught on video, but not clearly enough to do anything. Best part was that one of the big-wigs drove up and parked a couple spots away while the guy was under the truck, and didn't even notice. So, if you make them work harder for it, and their in the open the whole time (if you don't back into a spot), then chances are they'll keep looking and not try to get your wheel.

Also, I second the opinion that it is probably up on craigslist.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
In my 20 years of LE experience, I have seen that the thieves will either pass up the locked tire, or damage the crap out of the rim and mount to get the tire. If someone wants something bad enough, they'll get it. But most opportunistic crooks will simply pass up a locked spare.

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts