FJ Cruiser Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
I like the finish plate for the spare tire holder. The cap for the hitch looks fantastic, but I probably wouldn't buy one cause it would just have to be removed when wheeling so it didn't get destroyed :)
Got anything else in the works?

·
2012 Ginger of the Year
12,736 Posts
I've been looking for other things to make with my CNC machine, in addition to dead pedals, and yesterday I came up with my version of a plate to finish off the spare tire mount. My 10' FJ has the backup camera on it and it has always bugged me how it looks. When you take the OEM cover off and run with just the spare, it looks like something is missing. Here's what the plate looks like mounted.

If there are enough people interested in having one, I'll make up a batch of these and have them anodized black. Let me know know if anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd turn that into a dust light mount with quick disco

·
2012 Ginger of the Year
12,736 Posts
Both great ideas. A bottle opener slot is easy to do. I'll try that out next.

Hey Jeremy, can you recommend a dust light?

Baja designs has some nice amber ones. Squadron IIRC. I still have one sitting in the box haha

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So I've been doing a little designing and I came up with a couple versions. One I slotted for a bottle opener and the other has a stud for mounting an LED dust light. I haven't actually made these yet, but, thanks to some computer magic, here's what they will look like.

When I get some more material I'll make some up to see how they turn out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Would be cool if the bottle opener really stuck out like one. Easily identifiable so there's no question what it is lol. Like the Yeti ones

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I'll try to pick up one of those bottle openers and see if it will fit through the center of the wheel. I'm afraid that it will be too big. If I had to make the plate bigger than the wheel center, in the event that you had to change a tire, I would think that it might become a big hassle to get the wheel off. If I got a flat, the last thing I'd want to do is a bunch of disassembly just to get my spare off the mount. With a light though, I can go with a wing nut or thumb nut with a cotter pin to secure it and a plug on the wires for easy removal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Here's an update. I've been working on prototypes for the rear camera cover plate. It has taken me several iterations and beers to figure out how to open a beer bottle. I didn't think it would be such a science. The first one I made only bent a small portion of the cap leaving it still attached. The second version popped the cap off no problem, however, I ended up spilling my beer all over the spare. Well that's a party fowel, can't have that. My last one took several tries grinding it down with my Dremel until it finally worked. Here's what it evolved into.

Earlier today I was at McFaddendale Hardware in Corona, the best hardware store ever, and they had a small LED light for only $27. So I bought one to try out on the other plate for the dust light. It turned out pretty nice and it looks like the spare can be removed no problem. Here's some pics.

I've got some angle aluminium, I'm going to come up with a bracket for flags and CB antennas next.

Gotta go do some more testing. I hope I have some beer left.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts