FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reportedly the lowers are going... described as "squishy / rubbery".

Sorry, no pics. I'm to dumb to know the exact point, but I have an idea of where it is. ;D One of the mechanics was pulling out another vehicle when I was leaving, and he gave me a bit more info. I guess there are some after market bushings that should be better and last longer than the OEM.

I asked about warranty, but these are considered a part that will wear out, so it is not covered.

Should be fine for a while. Costs maybe $500 or so I guess to replace, and they suggested to go ahead and change the uppers at the same time.

Dom, have you had to replace yours, or are you now on non-stock arms? I can't remember.

·
Banned
3,370 Posts
I've never heard of anything failing on the front LCA's. That should be the LAST piece to fail. The upper's are a ticking time bomb with a lift though.

The only replacement for the front LCA's is the TC or Camburg long travel lower arms..

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that's it Mike. They stated the OEM ones are rubber, and wear out pretty quick. I can not remember what the after markets are made of...nylon maybe... More investigation needed I guess.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
so dave you're biting the bullet and paying the repair cost for the oems or going to research some aftermarket solutions? keep us updated and hope you get it all figured out

·
Registered
944 Posts
Front lowers do wear out. I was on my third set at 73K miles. The bushings just go soft and cause clunking and popping. It also wears your tires down because of all the deflection when the suspension cycles, especially under braking (where the clunking noise is at its worst).

Energy Suspension does make a lower only replacement set in polyurethane , but you need to remove the arms and burn the old bushings out and clean them up and press the new bushings in.

·
Ordinary Extraordinaire
8,396 Posts

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
was that you at hooman toyota in long beach yesterday dave?
If you meant me, no. I'm out on the East coast right now.

This was a pretty old thread. I barely remember it. I believe the clunking was actually part of the OME heavies being on a rig with no front bumper. Too stiff, and rattled around a bit. I never changed anything on the lowers, that I remember at least. Could be wrong.

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts
Yeah replaced mine with the Energy Suspentions a while back. The clunk is gone but poly squeaks pretty good during travel. Doesnt bother me but it might to some. They are cheap but the job itself is a pain. if you have to pay I think it's like a 3.5 hour job.
I know this is an older thread but I think this clunking has just started with my drivers front LCA and its getting progressively worse by the day.

Mike did you install these yourself? What is the pain part of it?

Me and Ruth were trying to track it down today and I noticed that the LCA would move a bit when the brakes were applied. It has a real loud clank definetly metal to metal. Any extra thoughts on this? I noticed Arein said he went through 3 sets by 73K im at 63K right now.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Nothing like digging up old threads here, but my drive side is making all the same clunking right now. Took it to a friends shop and he said the front lower drivers side A arm is shot to hell. Looking at a OE replacement of $500 + 195 to install and includes an alignment. Or might consider the TC stock length LCA for $1600.00 But $1600 is a bit hard right now to swallow. Think I'm gonna pass on the Energy bushings. Does anybody have any connections on OEM parts?

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts
Nothing like digging up old threads here, but my drive side is making all the same clunking right now. Took it to a friends shop and he said the front lower drivers side A arm is shot to hell. Looking at a OE replacement of $500 + 195 to install and includes an alignment. Or might consider the TC stock length LCA for $1600.00 But $1600 is a bit hard right now to swallow. Think I'm gonna pass on the Energy bushings. Does anybody have any connections on OEM parts?
I remember this thread. Turned out on mine I had just got the alignment done and 4WP didn`t tighten the cam bolts down tight enough. I went back and they tightened them and they have been quiet ever since. Maybe check and see if they can be tightened before you spend the cash. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I'm clunking as well and didn't know what the **** it was until this thread resurfaced. Thanks, too bad energy doesn't just sell lca bushings.
PS: Does anyone know if energy suspension bushings for uca will fit into light racing uca?

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'm clunking as well and didn't know what the **** it was until this thread resurfaced. Thanks, too bad energy doesn't just sell lca bushings.
PS: Does anyone know if energy suspension bushings for uca will fit into light racing uca?
Karol have you called SPC for the light racings UCA? they have new replacement kits for 25$ or if you talk to Jeff ask him about the 200$ deposit and they send out new UCA just say you had them for less then a year and so on...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
What are the cam bolts? Also oddly enough I had my 9 year old crawl under the drivers side LCA as I grabbed my tube bumper and pulled up and down as hard as I could to make a popping/snapping sound and after doing it for 30 seconds he points to the upper ball joint. Then I have him put his finger next to the upper ball joint and ask him to feel for the popping sound and he says yup, thats it. Funny enough, who do I trust.. My 9 year old or the professional who wants $700 to fix it. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts