FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I get to join the club. I've got the tears on both sides. Little baby ones on the passenger side and some big daddy sized ones on the drivers side. Just what I need. The few dealerships I've tried around here won't even warranty my failed idle pullies, they are going to laugh when I bring this to their attention...

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,003 Posts
go to longo they will warranty your pulleys, geesh those are some big cracks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fjessence said:
go to longo they will warranty your pulleys, geesh those are some big cracks
I've bought some Napa pullies. Super sealed. No more problems.
 

·
NOT a moderator!
Joined
·
3,224 Posts
you want me to inquire at Elmore Toyota for you? I will talk to David, the service manager, and show him the Blew Room threads on the ones that got replaced. It's worth a try...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FJ-Piper said:
you want me to inquire at Elmore Toyota for you? I will talk to David, the service manager, and show him the Blew Room threads on the ones that got replaced. It's worth a try...
Do you know the manager there?
 

·
NOT a moderator!
Joined
·
3,224 Posts
Yes, I met him from taking my cars there for 7 years now. He has a 4-Runner and likes to off-road himself. I'll call him today and ask if they can do anything but first I have to find the threads on Blew.... Ugh!
 

·
NOT a moderator!
Joined
·
3,224 Posts
Okay Joey. Print out some successful warranty replacement blew room threads and take them with you to Elmore Toyota Service Department, ask for David Flieshman, tell him Steven Piper sent you and explain that you do not jump the vehicle, all you do is crawl through off-road trails. That is all. :)

Probably wouldn't hurt to give it a good powerwash cleaning first but that's up to you. When/If I ever need to take mine in, it will be spotless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FJ-Piper said:
Okay Joey. Print out some successful warranty replacement blew room threads and take them with you to Elmore Toyota Service Department, ask for David Flieshman, tell him Steven Piper sent you and explain that you do not jump the vehicle, all you do is crawl through off-road trails. That is all. :)

Probably wouldn't hurt to give it a good powerwash cleaning first but that's up to you. When/If I ever need to take mine in, it will be spotless.
Thank you much. Need to set some time aside for this. I just want some pictures taken. Documented. I doubt it should be fixed untill theres a real fix available...
 

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
Joined
·
11,488 Posts
jrock are you a welder? I trying to remember if that was you that said you would show us how to weld. If you are do you think we could weld these tears or weld a plate on top of the tears? I`m thinking if we could weld them one way or the other there wouldn`t be 2 weeks of down time in the shop especially if they are going to tear again. Is this type of metal weldable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sanderhawk said:
jrock are you a welder? I trying to remember if that was you that said you would show us how to weld. If you are do you think we could weld these tears or weld a plate on top of the tears? I`m thinking if we could weld them one way or the other there wouldn`t be 2 weeks of down time in the shop especially if they are going to tear again. Is this type of metal weldable?
I am going to check out some options this saturday. I've got a couple people coming over to my place for some FJ related repairs. I am looking into making a weld-on fix that will add some support the the front aprons. The only problem I see so far is that the sheet metal is paper thin. The tears in the aprons are not the problem, they are the result. The prolem is excessive flex in the apron and core support assemblies. Welding up the tears with do absolutely nothing but make them look pretty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,441 Posts
So what type of wheeling would cause this? ??? I better tone down the heavy foot in the dirt ( :-\ that sucks)! Has Toyota had any info why this is happening?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,003 Posts
mostly jumping the fj causes this, but in some cases the owners haven't even done any hard wheeling or jumping and the bulge still happens. I have bulges and I don't wheel that hard but i have taken a few jumps :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fjessence said:
mostly jumping the fj causes this, but in some cases the owners haven't even done any hard wheeling or jumping and the bulge still happens. I have bulges and I don't wheel that hard but i have taken a few jumps :)
I have to dissagree, my FJ has never had a wheel off the ground above .5MPH. I only rock crawl with mine, or drive it on the road. It has to do with the amount of flex in the frame when articulating, and how hard the rigid body fights flex.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
I'm with joey here.

I know the day and the reason i finally got a tear. I was with mudlovingfj and we went to holy jim to take some poser flex shots of my brand new tires.. i got home and i had tears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,586 Posts
I have a slight fender bulge on the inner left fender. I got it while bottoming out (stuffing my front tires) on a rut on 3N95. No jumping at that point. Bling skid, stock suspension, stock bumper, stock wheels and tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,003 Posts
well yea what he was asking was the driving behavior that leads to tears but i also said that people that don't even offroad or mildly do still result in fender bulges, they are a horrible design and something that should have been caught in R&D. I got my bulges off a drop off a 4 ft dune i didnt see :-\ but others just drive it on the road and still get the bulges...damn toyota
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha. But with a sig pic of you FJ mid-air I don't think you can blame toyota for structual damage...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,003 Posts
lol you do got me there! but i wish they were structurally sound enough to do that stuff and hold up ;D is that too much to ask hahha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So... If anyone wants to come over to Lake Forest, were having a small tech day at my place. If you have some apron reinforcement ideas lets here them, im open to finding a repair for this.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top