FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ashamed to admit but was very tired after work and drove about 1 mile at around 40 miles an hour with the e-brake on. Before I realized my mistake, it felt like I had run over something small in the road, but only felt the small "thunk" in back of FJ. About 30 yards after that I approached a small hill and accelerated up it, right away I felt/heard a pop or snap sound, it wasn't loud. Then immediately I heard and "flap" flap" flap" like something was on my back tires. Then realized e-brake was on, disengaged, still climbing hill, and flap sound stopped. The e-brake released easily and brakes work fine in drive and reverse. Never smelled any burning. Could the e-brake cable have snapped? What was it I heard and is it safe to drive? Also, the e-brake was not fully engaged all the way up when I was driving with it on.

Thanks for your help!

fjkitty

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I do that all the time, most the time in low range. I know that clunk sound.

Reactions: moodywizard

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm ashamed to admit but was very tired after work and drove about 1 mile at around 40 miles an hour with the e-brake on. Before I realized my mistake, it felt like I had run over something small in the road, but only felt the small "thunk" in back of FJ. About 30 yards after that I approached a small hill and accelerated up it, right away I felt/heard a pop or snap sound, it wasn't loud. Then immediately I heard and "flap" flap" flap" like something was on my back tires. Then realized e-brake was on, disengaged, still climbing hill, and flap sound stopped. The e-brake released easily and brakes work fine in drive and reverse. Never smelled any burning. Could the e-brake cable have snapped? What was it I heard and is it safe to drive? Also, the e-brake was not fully engaged all the way up when I was driving with it on.

Thanks for your help!

fjkitty
I wouldn't sweat it. The only thing you did was maybe wear some of the e-brake pad off.amd maybe score the inside of the rotor. No biggie :) Cruise on with peace of mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts