FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The DIRTY PARTS Dual Battery Kit for the FJ Cruiser has been a popular upgrade since we first introduced it back in 2006 - and while we have been able to offer group buy deals several times to make the kit a better deal when we can, we understand it is an expensive accessory. So, we have been working very hard with our suppliers over the last several months to get them to try and reduce costs so we can offer the kit at a better deal - which would allow more folks to buy them, increasing volume to compensate for the lower margins....Well, in a rare victory in this slow economy, we were successful in our quest !!! But now we need your help....

Starting Monday, February 6, 2012, we have lowered the price of the DIRTY PARTS Dual Battery Kit for the FJ Cruiser ...

from the original price of $469.95, to an amazing $369.95 !!!

That's right - now $100 less for the exact same kit, even $30 less than the GB discount price, with the same quality parts and construction as before.

In order to maintain this pricing, we are counting on support from forum members- so take advantage of this price and put in your orders, so we can keep up our deal with suppliers...

(This price is not retroactive, and not valid for parts ordered, shipped, or installed prior to 2/6/2012 - tax/shipping additional when applicable)

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I was just starting to look around the shop for wire and parts to put something like this together.This was simplier and allows time for cocktails.I already got a notice from UPS that they have been notified.

·
Registered
501 Posts
guess I bought mine too soon :frown: guess I shoulda waited till after the group buy and saved some $$$... I do like it though - works great, I installed it a little differently, I have a 2010, but didn't remove the plate

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
I do highly recommend this kit. I use it and love it! I've jumped my own battery with a simple flip of the switch several times now and it's been worth the price I paid for it that had NO discounts... :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bump...

the dirty parts dual battery kit for the fj cruiser has been a popular upgrade since we first introduced it back in 2006 - and while we have been able to offer group buy deals several times to make the kit a better deal when we can, we understand it is an expensive accessory. So, we have been working very hard with our suppliers over the last several months to get them to try and reduce costs so we can offer the kit at a better deal - which would allow more folks to buy them, increasing volume to compensate for the lower margins....well, in a rare victory in this slow economy, we were successful in our quest !!! But now we need your help....

starting monday, february 6, 2012, we have lowered the price of the dirty parts dual battery kit for the fj cruiser ...

From the original price of $469.95, to an amazing $369.95 !!!

that's right - now $100 less for the exact same kit, even $30 less than the gb discount price, with the same quality parts and construction as before.

in order to maintain this pricing, we are counting on support from forum members- so take advantage of this price and put in your orders, so we can keep up our deal with suppliers...

(this price is not retroactive, and not valid for parts ordered, shipped, or installed prior to 2/6/2012 - tax/shipping additional when applicable)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Larry, how is you Dual battery kids better than other have offer? what is the advantage?

Why can't we run parallel battery like all commercial truck do? All diesel truck had 2/3/4 parallel battery to run their light, lift gate...etc

God Bless & Thank you for your reply

John

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well. we may not have enough room for a complete answer...but here goes a short version.

The Dirty Parts system is the original dual battery system for the FJ Cruiser - and still the best. We have been designing and installing systems in all types of vehicles for over 28 years, and we've learned a few things in that time. We use higher grade materials throughout, incl mil-spec terminals, solenoids, and 2-gauge welding-grade cables. We designed the battery location to have the least affect on weight transfer in a vehicle with known issues concerning cracking fender liners and front crumple zones. We use heavy steel hold-down so that off-roading won't cause it to bend. We do not use isolators or digital circuit boards that have high failure rates in extreme environments. And most important is the 500+ units out in the field world-wide since 2006 without a single field failure due to components or design - which is what you want in a product when you may be miles from help.

A dual battery system has several advantages over a multiple parallel battery system - especially since there is no room in the FJ Cruiser to install a 2,3,4 battery set-up as you mention. Dual parallel batteries are used in diesels because the high compression diesel engines require a huge amount of current to turn the starter (well, at least that's true in American vehicles - most import diesels use gear-reduction starters that reduce the dependency on bigger batteries). The biggest advantage is when you are using accessories went the vehicle is not running, you always have a spare battery to start the truck. With a parallel system, once the batteries drain below a certain voltage, none will be able to start the vehicle - there is nothing to isolate the batteries from each other, so they all drain together.

Hope that answers your question....

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The kit is not sold without the tray, because all the cables are sized for the rear passenger location where the kit is designed to mount. This design is not be accident - we do not recommend mounting the battery up front. FJ Cruisers have have serious problems with fender structural integrity from day one, and Toyota reworked the front and inner fenderwells specifically to reduce the changes of the problem occurring. Having the additional weight of a battery hanging on that front area could create issues ...it is better to put the heavy battery closer to the rear of the engine compartment..(Don't forget you would also have to relocate the windshield washer filler and power steering fluid reservoir to make room for the battery, too)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have this kit and absolutely love it! I'm currently running the stock battery and an optima yellow top for the secondary battery. The FJ has been sitting in the garage for a while now and I was wondering what is the best charger for your kit that can keep both batteries charged?

Thanks!

-B

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have this kit and absolutely love it! I'm currently running the stock battery and an optima yellow top for the secondary battery. The FJ has been sitting in the garage for a while now and I was wondering what is the best charger for your kit that can keep both batteries charged?

Thanks!

-B
Sounds to me like someone needs to go wheeling!

·
Registered
694 Posts

Thanks!

-B
Sounds to me like someone needs to go wheeling!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks!

-B
We recommend using a Deltron Battery Tender. It is waterproof, and is specifically designed to charge and maintain AGM (Advanced Glass Mat) batteries like the Optima and Odyssey. It will also work with standard flooded acid batteries.

Here's the Battery Tender: BATTERY TENDER

We have them in stock if you want one :wink:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Awesome! Now how exactly do I charge both batteries? Do I flip the switch and leave them in parallel? Or do I have to charge each battery individually?

-B

We recommend using a Deltron Battery Tender. It is waterproof, and is specifically designed to charge and maintain AGM (Advanced Glass Mat) batteries like the Optima and Odyssey. It will also work with standard flooded acid batteries.

Here's the Battery Tender: BATTERY TENDER

We have them in stock if you want one :wink:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome! Now how exactly do I charge both batteries? Do I flip the switch and leave them in parallel? Or do I have to charge each battery individually?

-B
Normally, you leave it alone. The system is designed to be very simple. For normal use, you leave the system in the "DUAL ON" mode (green LED), and leave it alone - nothing to switch unless you have a starting / charging problem; the vehicle starts on the main battery, and then both batteries are charged while running. When you turn off the vehicle, the batteries are isolated from each other. If you have a dead battery, you can self-jump by switching to the "EMER ON" mode (red LED), which connects both batteries to start. If you have an alternator failure, you can switch to "DUAL OFF" mode (no LED), which prevents the aux battery from draining when the vehicle is on, giving you about twice the distance w/o the alt...:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.