FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built this hitch mounted rack as an alternative to using a roof rack. I needed a place for fuel, recovery gear and a dune flag mount. The only downfall to this design is getting to the spare tire and opening the rear hatch. (slides out in 10 seconds) Total weight of the rack is 34 pounds and it does not affect the approch angle. I built it a bit smaller than the commercially available units to fit my cooler and tanks perfectly.

DH

(first try with photos)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys....

I just shimmed it up for now. Will probably weld a couple beads on the tube and file them down for a tight fit.

DH

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Just a suggestion: Drill a hole (3/8"?) in the bottom of the receiver and weld a nut on the outside. Run a bolt through the nut that can just be tightened to close up any slack inside the receiver to give a tight fit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The holes are a perfect fit for my tie-downs.This is a one off part to fit my specific components and needs. There are no plans for production.

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
I had a bike rack on my 4-Runner that Pivoted down so I could open my rear hatch. You could Probably do the Same With this but also put a Pivot on the platform as well. This way the whole thing can drop down to the ground and allow you to open the rear door.

Wow! I wrote this whole reply on a tablet PC using my sloppy handwriting. works sweet!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Very Nice!

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts
Thats very cool looking,practical and just plain professional looking. I would`nt mind making one myself. How much was your materials? How long did it take you to make?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great work,

I would buy one for sure. I have been looking for something like this for the cooler or fire wood. Great work when will these be for sale?????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts