FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Ordinary Extraordinaire
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from court. To my surprise not having covers on your offroad lights is NOT a correctable violation AKA fix it ticket. If you get this ticket you will pay $130 dollars plus court fees. I had my ticket signed corrected the day after I received it but that does not matter. You cannot fight the ticket if the officer shows up and if the officer doesn't show they reschedule your date till the officers next court date. :mad: And they take his side over yours of course. Just an FYI the covers that look like steel mesh or the plastic PIAA covers that just cover the center of the lamp are not acceptable, the covers have to be opaque (not see through) this goes for roof and bumper lights.

California violation 24411
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway. The lamps shall be mounted at a height of not less than 16 inches from the ground, or more than 12 inches above the top of the passenger compartment, at any place between the front of the vehicle and a line lying on a point 40 inches to the rear of the seat occupied by the driver, shall be wired independently of all other lighting circuits, and, whenever the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway, shall be covered or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Seems like I've heard this somewhere before....:D Mike, I'm sorry you got the hammer on that. Man, that's expensive!!

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Whew! Sorry to hear of your reaming... :'( I was just pulled over by the highway Patrol on my way to Big Bear a few weeks ago for no covers and tinted windows. he let me go on the covers as i told him they were removed to do trail maintenance on a SBNF trail a week prior and i forgot to put them on. i got my tint ticket fixed so only $10 on that.

·
Ordinary Extraordinaire
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FJDave said:
Seems like I've heard this somewhere before....:D Mike, I'm sorry you got the hammer on that. Man, that's expensive!!
Ya heard it here first folks. hahaha ;D

the lights at headlight level seem to fall into another category but ya never know if you still get some uninformed guy who justfeels like writing tickets today, even if you beat it in court you spent time, money and frustration to do so.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
69 Posts
What are you going to do to cover the lights? I'm getting my PIAA lights and roof rack lights installed pretty soon. I got an e-mail from Jack at Demello that the top roof rack lights don't have covers. (PIAA 2100's)

Also, when they say 8 headlamps, does that include "fog" lights? Damn, my FJ will have 2 6" PIAA bumper lights, 2 ACRO in bumper lights, 4 front PIAA roof rack lights and the 2 rear fog lights. Well over 8 if they count all of them and the factory headlights.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Thanks Mike for the warning. I've been searching like crazy for covers for my four Sol-Teks -- no luck. Might have to just tape them off in the mean time.

·
Ordinary Extraordinaire
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well talking with some folks, that hick ass courthouse is most likely wrong on it not being a fix it, I am appealing the issue and I will continue to update.

as for the covers, I taped mine with pressure sensative tape, it looks like electrical tape but has no glue on it. it only sticks to smooth surfaces or itself. Piaa does make a cover though. I have no idea where to find em.

from the blue

·
Registered
69 Posts
I called PIAA and they still don't make any covers for the 2100 series lights. I wonder if the ones in the pics above are 1500 series lights. I'm still trying to think of other alternatives that will look good and will be easy to put on and remove when necessary. I'm getting my lights installed this week so I hope to find something soon.

I'll probably try FunJunkie's idea as a temporary fix for now. FunJunkie, can you take some pics of your lights with the make-shift covers?

EDIT: Those have to be 1500's in the pic as they are square shaped. The 2100 series is slightly rounded.

1500's

2100's

·
Registered
69 Posts
Has anyone heard of covers or hoods made out of uphostlry? I was telling my friend about not being able to find covers for some lights and he recommeded going to any uphostlry store and having them custom make some. The more I think about it, if you used some kind of waterproof fabric then it might not look too bad, especially if the "sock" is formed around the light and fits it fairly tight. I'd bet they could even sew on or embroider some custom lettering on the face. I was thinking of some black hoods with PIAA in white, or just plain black if the lettering is cheesy looking, but hats are typically embroidered so I'm sure that would look pretty good. I'm just not sure how easy it is to get to the 2 inner lights to place a "sock" over them and zip them up or velcro them.

I'm still amazed PIAA doesn't make covers for these when they are the replacements pretty much for the 1500 series lights and they had covers.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I wonder how hard it would be to cut some plastic to match the shape and size of the lense, then make a vinyl shroud to sew on to it with an elastic string in the opening, just like a mini-tire cover. Before you put them on, take them to Matt's shop and have the So Cal FJ Forum logo screened onto them. It can't be too hard to do....:D

1 - 20 of 64 Posts