FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"clunk" sound when coming to a stop.

Does anyone else notice a small clunk when slowing down to a stop? Feels like the slop between the rear end and transmission but I am not sure. Did not have this on my first 2wd FJ. I also notice something similar when the AC comes on.

DH

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Re: "clunk" sound when coming to a stop.

is it when coming to a stop, or at a stop? if it's the latter, that's the famous toyota lurch. ;)

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts

This may sound stupid but its simple I started to get alot of clunking in the rear of the rig and all it turned out to be was my stock bottle jack coming loose and banging around in the rear fender well. I tightened it and all is good. Think simple before going someplace to get it fixed.

·
Banned
3,370 Posts

Sanderhawk said:
This may sound stupid but its simple I started to get alot of clunking in the rear of the rig and all it turned out to be was my stock bottle jack coming loose and banging around in the rear fender well. I tightened it and all is good. Think simple before going someplace to get it fixed.
Took me a couple months of "wtf is that noise" before i looked in there and noticed all the nice shiny paintless metal from the damn jack bouncing around :D

·
Banned
3,370 Posts

GTKrockeTT said:
you mall crawlers still have the stock bottle jack in the rig? ;D
The bottle jack rocks!!!

I never ever want to use that dang hi-lift unless its the only option.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts

GTKrockeTT said:
you mall crawlers still have the stock bottle jack in the rig? ;D
Who you kidding, you're always "hitting" the speed bumps at the Galeria

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

its all about the bottle jack didnt you know? youre not a man without it hahaha

·
Deutschbag Moderator
7,394 Posts

I've considered the extended bottle jack..........

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts

I`m not a mall crawler!! Bite your tongue. I just forgot the damn thing was in there. I have a High Lift Jack and I know how to use it ;D

·
Registered
52 Posts

I carry a hilift, and would use anything else first
I like my XJack a lot, and it keeps the hilift rusting, seems the hilift has no replacement, but it is a dangerous tool. I have had one kick out from under the jeep like 3 years ago. You never can tell about those things.

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts

Mine doesn`t work well either but it works . If it doesn`t go high enough I just put the bottle jack under it and duct tape it to the bottom of the high lift and jack it up that extra foot and a half works every time :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts

I have the clunking issue only under heavy braking. From what the Toyota tech told me, it's the slip-yoke of drive shaft that needs a little lubing. The wheelbase changes slightly when accelerating or braking, so that's why it was only happening after I came to a complete stop and let off the brake.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

zoshyii said:
I have the clunking issue only under heavy braking. From what the Toyota tech told me, it's the slip-yoke of drive shaft that needs a little lubing. The wheelbase changes slightly when accelerating or braking, so that's why it was only happening after I came to a complete stop and let off the brake.
thanks for the info. my 'clunk' always sounds as if I got a mild bumper to bumper from the car behind me. it's quite annoying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts