FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 393 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE 11/28/2014 :
The application for the test is now available. Last day to apply is 12/11/2014.

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/lacity/default.cfm?action=viewjob&jobid=1014298

One year of high school chemistry, physics, or electronics is all that is needed to apply... Or one semester or quarter at the college level.

More info about the job:

https://docs.google.com/presentatio...tart=true&loop=false&delayms=60000&slide=id.p

This is an entry level job working in a steam plant (power plant). Minimum requirement is a year of high school chemistry/physics/electronics (see the job bulletin for more details). There are 4 plants around LA: Long Beach, Wilmington, El Segundo, and Sun Valley. Full medical and dental for you and immediate family. Pension for retirement.

City of Los Angeles Employment Opportunities

This is where I started out five years ago, it can lead to operations, maintenance mechanic, or instrument tech. Operations works a rotating shift, 10 days on 4 days off (dayshift, then swing shift, then graveyards, then back to dayshift). Maintenance and Instrumentation are on straight day shifts (5 and 2 or a 9/80 schedule). You will work in operations for at least 2 years. After you pass you trainee test you can then apply to go into one of the other disciplines if you want (again after a minium of 2 years in operations).

PDF job description here: http://labrel.ladwp.com/Database/82-85602.pdf

Apply if you qualify, it will take a few months for the whole process from exam to hiring to run its course and the list (of those passing) will be good for at least a couple of years. This exam comes up maybe once every two or three years for a short window of time... don't miss it.

If you have any questions, post them here and I'll try and answer them as best I can.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Seems to be a lot of us power plant guys on here! Good luck with those LMS100's. Lots growing pains.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks, sounds like you know something about them. We are installing six of those.
I don't have direct experience with them, but I've been to user conferences and have been to the Houston facility. Aside from some engine problems, many of the issues involve the package and accessories. Make sure your company sends people to the Western Turbine Users conference in San Diego next spring (WTUI.com). Lots of good info there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just saw this position yesterday. Looks like the "Apply" button won't show up until next week. I plan on applying just to see what happens.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just saw this position yesterday. Looks like the "Apply" button won't show up until next week. I plan on applying just to see what happens.

yes, from the bulletin announcement:

"Applications will be accepted on-line only on the following three days: STARTING AT 5:00 P.M. ON TUESDAY, AUGUST 21, 2012 UNTIL MIDNIGHT ON THURSDAY, AUGUST 23, 2012. Applications submitted before the start of the filing period will not be accepted."

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just wondering if anyone here applied to this job? If so, did you get invited to take the test and how well do you feel you did on it? I applied and was able to take the test and feel I did pretty well. Just trying to get a general idea of how others did.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Just wondering if anyone here applied to this job? If so, did you get invited to take the test and how well do you feel you did on it? I applied and was able to take the test and feel I did pretty well. Just trying to get a general idea of how others did.
Right on. Best of luck to you. Sounds like a good gig.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think welders are in short supply... not sure why they are not hiring them, or what the path is to become a DWP welder, but I know some repairs were held up because there were no welders available at that time.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I was in the afternoon session. I had to guess on a few, but overall it was cool. Do you have a FJ? I saw a few in the lot. Thanks again to SUPERHEAT.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was in the afternoon session. I had to guess on a few, but overall it was cool. Do you have a FJ? I saw a few in the lot. Thanks again to SUPERHEAT.
I'll be totally honest here... I don't own an FJ. I stumbled upon this thread by searching Google for "Steam Plant Assistant", trying to find any relative info or threads regarding this job.

I was in the AM session and I feel like I definitely passed the test with a score of about 85%. Hopefully that is a high enough score to proceed from the eligible list! I know you only need 70% to pass, but they won't hire everyone who passes; only about the top 15% or so.

I think it takes about 4-8 weeks to get your results back. Goodluck to you!

1 - 20 of 393 Posts