FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Camping Trailers

6K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  FJVP 
#1 ·
I'm looking into buying a trailer. I love ruffin it but the lil woman (CFO) prefers the hotel amenities. I understand and if I want to continue to live in the house and mod the FJ....I best go along with her wishes. We really don't want a small tent trailer or a full size unit and it has to meet the FJ towable requirements. So...I found this:

Fleetwood Pop Up

Anyone else thinking/looking?

#2 ·
That's actually a pretty nice setup.

When I was a kid, we spent 4-5 summers using the hell out of an old coleman pop-up. This things setup is nicer, with the kitchen/bathroom. Just not as much sleeping space.

I've thought about getting something, but the issue for me is parking. I've no where to store it, unless I want to give up another space in the garage. self-storage rentals each month are not an option for me.

BUT... I do think we'll be renting something like this at some point to get the kids out camping. (or in my case, all three of the city girls).

G
#4 ·
My wife and I are looking at something like this. We saw a VERY small Airstream trailer that I'm sure the FJ can tow. But we are also on a very tight budget. Storage is an issue, since we can't rent a space. The garage (as Dom and Mud know) is packed with crap (a trash bin is being rented in a couple of weeks - time to get rid of everything we haven't used in a year or more). The driveway is for 2 cars only.

FJVP - what is the cost on a unit like that?

#5 ·
That is a pretty nice unit.

You can look at Chalet and Aline. They are hard walled pop up trailers. I have had a Chalet now for about 10 years. They are great for high altitude camping. Much warmer than the typical pop up trailers.

Just for information, I will be selling mine within the next couple of months. Let me know if you look at the new ones and want to look at a used one. Tony (FJamming slept in it last week end and fell in love with it. You can ask him about it.

#6 ·
IMachU said:
My wife and I are looking at something like this. We saw a VERY small Airstream trailer that I'm sure the FJ can tow. But we are also on a very tight budget. Storage is an issue, since we can't rent a space. The garage (as Dom and Mud know) is packed with Rear End Product (a trash bin is being rented in a couple of weeks - time to get rid of everything we haven't used in a year or more). The driveway is for 2 cars only.

FJVP - what is the cost on a unit like that?
I'm waiting on the quote from the Comapny

#7 ·
skersfan said:
That is a pretty nice unit.

You can look at Chalet and Aline. They are hard walled pop up trailers. I have had a Chalet now for about 10 years. They are great for high altitude camping. Much warmer than the typical pop up trailers.

Just for information, I will be selling mine within the next couple of months. Let me know if you look at the new ones and want to look at a used one. Tony (FJamming slept in it last week end and fell in love with it. You can ask him about it.
I may be talking to you!

#8 ·
As I have mentioned I am building a off road trailer. I just finished setting up the building of the boxes, have the axle in progress. The first one will be built to match my FJ, some of you know what it looks like.

I hope to have it done by the first week of May. I am building this to sell to only friends or people cose to the FJ Group. This is an expedition type trailer, very similar to the Horizon of Adventure Trailers, with out the ungodly price tag. I will only build 12 of them a year, meaning one a month. If you have interest, I will be taking it to several runs next month. Hopefully I will be able to use it for the North Rim run. I will not discuss pricing on the internet, if you have questions PM me regarding it. I have many years owning and operating a trailer building company. I have trailers that I built that have been on the road for over 20 years. These will be very high quality and reasonably priced for my FJ friends.

We are a go, I just got off the phone with the metal fabricators and the prices are good. I will have one operationl by the first week of May it appears.

#9 ·
Fjamming said:
(might want to add a trans cooler)
Unless the trailer in question weighs more than the allowed towing weight of the FJ, there is no reason to install a different transmission cooler. ;)

#11 ·
FJVP said:
Well...I Bought a 18' travel trailer today. A fun Finder fully loaded for the wife to have that hotel on wheels. Got to install a electric brake set up in the FJ this week....I'll post pics when I get it next week.
Congratulations Tim; how exciting and I'm sure the wifey will be in heaven on the future campin' trips. And I'm Lucy and Ricky will be in heaven too. Definitely post the pics when you get 'em. I bet you guys are excited.

#12 ·
Sweet Tim...all I have to ask is what's your nightly rate? I'm sure once Alicia sees it she's gonna wanna sleep in it!! haha Can't wait to see the pics!!

#15 ·
skersfan said:
Rent that baby out, make the payments.

Congrats, I am sure you will be happy, as mama will be, that makes things much easier when it comes time for the big mods.
Very true statement. Mama must always be kept happy. She actually asked me if I was getting something new for the FJ soon....I had a grin from ear to ear.... ;D

#17 ·
The older I get, the more pop-up campers appeal to me. The only thing that keeps me from buying one is my love for sleeping under the stars while camping. I don't think I'd use the camper nearly as much as I should and can't justify the purchase. I mean, I have a big tent and it never gets put up. The boys and I have always just slept outside. I did add a twin air mattress to my list of basic camping gear though. Best bang for my buck to date.

On the other hand.. One of these would be great for camping in the winter months. Damn.. Now I'll be considering one of these again.. Thanks Tim! ;)

~Brian

#18 ·
Kokopeli,

Take a look at the Chalet and Aline. Both are very good smaller pop ups that have hard walls. Only way about 1300 pounds and tow very easly.

Fleet wood also has one that has soft walls and you can carry a quad or bikes in the front of it. It is pretty cool to, but you end up with the wet canvas small all the time.

#19 ·
Sorry Brian, Got your trailer juices flowing again! ;D....You may also want to look at a HiLo and a Fleetwood Tacoma, they are both hard wall pop ups. I can tell ya, I researched all of these and ended up going with the ultra lite 18' full size because I did not want to be setting up and tearing down all the stuff inside, wanted a full sized fridge, A/C heat and all the luxury stuff that comes with it. The unit I got has a GVRW of 5280 lbs and a dry weight of 3000 lbs so towing is not a issue. I will never over gross it because I just don't have 2200 lbs of crap to stuff in it including the holding tanks weight.

To top it all off it was about the same price as most tent trailers and less than a HiLo.

Mine is like the one here but without the rear fold down door and it has whitewashed interior cabs.

http://www.travelandusa.com/familyrv/Specials/0308/2008-cruiser-rv-llc-fun-finder-xt-190.cfm

#20 ·
FJVP said:
Sorry Brian, Got your trailer juices flowing again! ;D....You may also want to look at a HiLo and a Fleetwood Tacoma, they are both hard wall pop ups. I can tell ya, I researched all of these and ended up going with the ultra lite 18' full size because I did not want to be setting up and tearing down all the stuff inside, wanted a full sized fridge, A/C heat and all the luxury stuff that comes with it. The unit I got has a GVRW of 5280 lbs and a dry weight of 3000 lbs so towing is not a issue. I will never over gross it because I just don't have 2200 lbs of Rear End Product to stuff in it including the holding tanks weight.

To top it all off it was about the same price as most tent trailers and less than a HiLo.

Mine is like the one here but without the rear fold down door and it has whitewashed interior cabs.

http://www.travelandusa.com/familyrv/Specials/0308/2008-cruiser-rv-llc-fun-finder-xt-190.cfm
Wow; very nice Tim. Okay; Moe and I are definitely going to have to go shopping soon. This trailer looks very similar to a toy hauler; but without that extra space in the back for the toys. Congrats!!!! I know Karen is going to be lovin it when you're out campin. This trailer can be towed by a 2wd FJ?

#21 ·
I towed it home from Irvine Today.....I added a weight distribution hitch with sway bar and a brake controller to the FJ to help in the towing. I ran 60 MPH all the way with no issues. Gas milage will suffer because the FJ is about as aerodynamic as a brick. It's like a brick towing a brick!

I'll post pictures of the actual trailer in a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.