FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... So we've been getting a lot of feedback from multiple directions on people wanting our parts in black. I'd like to do a little survey here and ask what you really would consider buying if we did a sample run of parts annodized black? I'm not asking for a money commitment or anything here. Just wondering what parts exactly you would like to see in black and if by us making them in black would you actually add them to your wish list of items you will be buying eventually.

Pages 5 & 6 here are our current FJ parts.

http://www.drakeoffroad.com/catalogs/03A-DrakeOffRoad-All_2010.pdf

Please post up what you would be interested in. Depending what we hear back we may go ahead and do a limited run of black to see how the sales figures go with it. :biggrin:

Khris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Black Heavy Duty antennae. Like a fire stick only one that would work with am/fm and sat.

Also black lug nuts for alloy TRD wheels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
All the silvers... I wanna black my sandstorm.. Hoping ur cheaper then a paint shop or my shakey spray can...

·
Super Whore
3,510 Posts
pillar grab bars - (just a thought - grab bars for somewhere in the rear seats??)
gear shifter
4x4 shifter
antenna - if it was working and heavy duty-ish
battery hold down
and fluid caps - if they were engrave-able.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All the silvers... I wanna black my sandstorm.. Hoping ur cheaper then a paint shop or my shakey spray can...
They would be very affordable and I doubt anyone would complain about the price difference between silver and black. Lets put it this way... All of our parts are already clear annodized. :wink:

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
So it's possible for you to produce bumper wings, mirrors, handles? In black? Or is this more for engine products etc.? I'm looking to slowly get my rig blacked.. Dealer runs me $1000 for trd parts.. 4 bumper wings, 2 bumper valence, 2 door handles, 2 mirrors.. Ouch.. Well keep me posted thanks

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have capabilities of doing all of that sort of stuff. We have product planning meetings where we can all toss out ideas and discuss as a group what we think will do well and is worth the investment.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Ok let me know how the planning goes.. I know lots of people wanna black there rigs and most just rattle can, but I prefer having a pro look and work done... Cool. Oh maybe decals too the FJ/toyota/grill

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh maybe decals too the FJ/toyota/grill
What do you mean by this? We've got quite a bit of experience doing badges and name plates on vehicles. The hardest part is always getting approval to use logos or lettering by the manufacturers. Just curious what you mean by this.

Thanks,
Khris

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Yea I guess I meant the logos... On the grill and rear door

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yea I guess I meant the logos... On the grill and rear door
I don't think we've tried to approach Toyota to get licensing to do logos but if they're like the other companies out there you almost need a signature from the president to get them to allow the use of it. I'm adding it to the list but not holding my breath on it to be honest because the yes or no on that type of project is actually in Toyota's hands and not ours.

We see it in a lot of other markets where we have the approval and pay a royalty to a manufacturer to use their branding or logo and then on ebay you see a similar product and we know they aren't paying royalty's or have permission. That's annoying to us when we go thru the hoops to do it legit but some guy with a machine in his garage selling on ebay is able to slide by under the radar. I can picture that being a similar situation on a project similar to this.

Khris

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I understand, probably not worth the headache... To gave to wait then most likely get shot down or pay a crazy amount of $$$... Maybe easier to just rattle can them ok keep us posted

·
Super Whore
3,510 Posts
So it's possible for you to produce bumper wings, mirrors, handles? In black? Or is this more for engine products etc.? I'm looking to slowly get my rig blacked.. Dealer runs me $1000 for trd parts.. 4 bumper wings, 2 bumper valence, 2 door handles, 2 mirrors.. Ouch.. Well keep me posted thanks

billet bumper wings & vallences?? those would weigh like 100lbs each!

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Yea.. idk If this is more for machinery parts or anything black

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, just a heads up of something that's coming. I'm going to work on the owner about our pricing of the FJ parts in general. In my opinion I think they're too high and I think I can make some headway at getting our parts at a more realistic price.

2nd, after I nail down some pricing changes I'm going to work on a group buy/sale. This will be announced on a couple of forums that we're active in but will be open for everyone.

3rd, in that group buy/sale there will be a VERY limited number of annodized black shifters and e-brake covers available. About 20 complete sets total. These will be first come first serve and when they're gone they're gone. My hopes though is that these move semi fast compaired to the normal silver ones. At that point I'll have some hard sales figures to show the owner that possibly we should start stocking these in a black option as well.

So, I just wanted to give you all a heads up this was coming. I'm crossing my fingers for a pretty drastic change in cost and a pretty substantial limited time sales price as well coming soon. And the black parts, this is a 100% for sure deal, they're already shipped out to the annodizers and I'm waiting on them to come back currently. I'll post pics when I recieve them.

Khris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts