FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Molon Labe
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, like many on here have done extensive mods to my truck. Extensive. :D

Some were worth their weight in gold. I know my suspension, better bulbs for my headlights, CB, RAM Mounts, tires, audio system, roof rack, new seats, rock rails, back up camera, winch, bumper, and lighting have all been money very well spent. In the near future, add LED interior lighting (that I can't believe I did without...) LT suspension, armor, diff armor and new LCA's. I am sure they will all have good reward.

I also have a litany of mods that I am glad I did for the most part, but didn't pay anywhere near as well in utility or value. That list is the TRD CAI, exhaust, various guards and other parts that just didn't do anything except make it louder or get worse mileage or potentially damage the truck, or permanently modify it while being dumb.

Without a big list of stuff, what is the distillation of the best mod you did to your truck, meaning, does the most for you every day you use it, and what is the worst mod you did. You don't have to hate it, but wish you had spent the money literally anywhere else...

I realize this is subjective, and one man's trash is another man's treasure... proven recently. That aside...

I'll start.

Best mod: The M-Pac storage rack on the back gate. Can't believe how much more utility my truck has because I have a place to store all the odds and ends that Toyota saw fit to ignore the need for. I use it daily, and just bought more racks for the front to help out there too... It is a wonderful combination of good looking, super utilitarian, well worth the money and answers a key question for us.

Worst mod: The Gobi ladder. Keeps you from opening your window... ever, you can't climb it because it is too small, even with it there you don't use it because it is far easier to just get on the tire or stand in the back. Basically, it is answering a question nobody asked, and it is expensive. It also damages your truck when you remove it, or try to.

OK... go.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Rig is at Demello's getting a lsit of mods now. all seem to be in OP worth it list...

best mod to date though is BudBuilt skids
worst mod Tied between gobi ladder and painting tail lights.....

·
Molon Labe
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol i have seen people lose there entire front clip!
What do you mean by "front clip"?

To me, the front clip is all of the suspension forward of the firewall. Do you mean the fenders themselves broke? And you watched it happen?

·
Valet 4 Life
4,177 Posts
What do you mean by "front clip"?

To me, the front clip is all of the suspension forward of the firewall. Do you mean the fenders themselves broke? And you watched it happen?
The have seen the inner fender rip completely through where everything becomes lose! There are quite a few people that are close to this happenin!

·
Molon Labe
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Anybody got a picture of this at this advanced a stage?

If you replace the fenders, does it solve the problem, or is it the inner fenderwell that is going sideways?

This is probably food for another thread, but why don't we just reinforce the mounting points, double the steel in the weak spot, or otherwise provide an ounce of prevention?

Sounds like there is too much stress on the front without proper support... I am adding gussets to my front shock mounts in case it needs it, and I have never heard of a shock mount breaking... Same should be able to be done for the fenders you would think...

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,496 Posts
My Best Mod: 12V accesory plugs all over the truck. Center Console, Rear cargo area. I use them for everything.

Worst Mod: They aren`t bad but I don`t use them. I just installed them because I was bored and wanted something to do and those would be the 4 lights I installed on my roof rack. I have only used them once at Pismo.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.