FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The next meeting is coming up 2 weeks from now. I strongly encourage everyone to attend one of these meetings. It's at the Sizzler in Corona (close to Demello). We can get there early for dinner. I'll be there around 6pm. I hope to see a few of you. FJDave, law enforcement eat for 1/2 price :D. They will most likely be passing shirts and hats out this time. Don't miss out!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last night's meeting was a great turnout. There must have been close to 130 people that attended. New shirts are now in possession and will be passed out on the next trip out. I also have a very limited supply of stickers. Greg and others covered all the points listed above and more. Johnson Valley is still up in the air. Deadline to voice opinions is closing in. We're getting new trail signs for the forest. The signs with bike, quad, and Jeep will now be modified to include a rhino. Of course, we'll have to change the new signs to have the FJ instead of Jeeps-at least for our trail (3N59A) anyway. :)

CADavebert and Piper, thank you both for coming. I know the traffic wasn't easy. It was nice to share a meal and have your company at the meeting. :cheers:

We received 2 plaquards (magnet signs) for use on our vehicle when we're on the trail. I have one and Dave has the other. The hats that were ordered has not come in yet. We have 14 shirts of various sizes available. I have your names so those that responded will definitely get one. I'll try and get more if we have more volunteers. The forestry would like us all to have hard hats. They've not gone too much into how, but maybe they'll be passed out at a later date.

One thing that was very distrubing is the fact that Tahoe area has lost 98% of their previously driveable trails. 98%!!! The lands was lost because not enough people in that area spoke up. I think we're very fortunate to have Greg be so involved and sympathetic to our desire to preserve the trail system. Pontica Sluice and Heartbreak Hill are two areas in Big Bear that may soon to have limited access. It can either be lost to us or be a special permit only access. I suggest we try and run those two areas ASAP! Look it up on dirtopia. It looks like a fun trail.

Again, I thank everyone for putting forth the effort to DO SOMETHING :bigthumb:. We came in 2nd in terms of hours last year. Myjeeprocks took first with over 1000 hours. Because we're a new club, we got a plaque. If we continue doing what we did, there's a big trophy waiting for us this year. It was nice to be at the meeting and be in a room full of enthusiasts of different types of vehicles. Broncos, Jeeps, FJs, bikes, etc. Everyone got along and it was a great atmosphere. The next meeting is January 21, 2009. I hope to see even more people there.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I'll be scanning the sticker/magnet in the coming days and providing the image file to Matt for review and possible manufacture. ;D

The Johnson Valley info was very interesting. At the last meeting I attended, it sounded like it was the off-road community versus the Marines. It did not look good. Last night they showed how they have gone out and really researched what groups are really using JV. It was incredible the number of things that happen out there. From sanctioned races, to standard OHV, to rock crawling, desert sail cars (or whatever they are called), specialty planes, RC planes, and even the movie and TV industries. The position of the Marines has become quite weak as a result, and there is momentum to push them east of their existing property, and not west into JV.

Piper grabbed a flyer that has times/dates/locations for public hearings/meetings on this subject. The more people there are to show up, the greater chance there is of being able to keep JV as 100% open space as it is now. This area is the largest of its kind in the entire US. The next size down is only about a tenth of the size of JV. It is a great resource for many of us, and for many different uses. We should support keeping it that way as much as we can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.