FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 SCFJC Field Guide (0a) Cover, Title Page & TOC

This should cover the graphics, content and layout of the Cover, Title page and Table of Contents as well as the style and layout of the document itself such as fonts, styles, color schemes, etc...

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 2009 SCFJC Field Guide (0a) Cover, Title Page & TOC

Should we go with some cool graphics on the cover or keep it simple with the generic SOCAL FJCRUISERS logo and title on the cover page? I kind of like the simple, militarian stlye look and feel to the cover, maybe just the plain logo listed on this website, any thoughts?

I think the basics on the title page:

SOCAL FJCRUISERS FIELD GUIDE

Copyright SOCAL FJCRUISERS
http://www.socalfjcruisers.com

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts

I'd be happy to come up with a 'rugged' looking cover. Is this going to be something that will be an optional printed piece of literature? If so, I know someone who can get a killer deal on printing. ;D

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I was thinking of putting the whole thing together then posting it up as a PDF and Word 2007 doc for people to d/l and do as they wish. I could go either way on the look and feel, I choose to side with the majority so speak up!

Also, what fonts should be used for the Title, Subtitle, Headings 1, 2, & 3, and Body?

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts

I can take care of putting it all together as a PDF. If you get me the files, I can get everything layed out neatly and organized. I can even make all the table of contents, clickable links to take you directly to sections of the guide.

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

You are awesome Matt, this will help tremendously. I'd like to double side print mine and store in a 3 ring binder, so please make sure to add blank pages, etc... for proper printing.

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Once again, I'm neutral on that. I think there should definitely be a cool factor to the document however too many pics will increase the thickness to an uncomfortable size. I think that the mechanical and First Aid section should definitely contain photos as some may not be familiar with proper part names and maybe a large relevant graphic for each chapter beginning too. But lets here from others...

Matt, be sure to post up your design images, I think you adding some cool factor to the project will motivate more members to get involved and post information to go in it. Which leads to a recognition page of course... Don't forget a page to add the names of those involded in it's creation. :)

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

mattmainster said:
I can take care of putting it all together as a PDF. If you get me the files, I can get everything layed out neatly and organized. I can even make all the table of contents, clickable links to take you directly to sections of the guide.
Do you want me to keep the layout as it has been, just putting styles colored in orange above the text (Title: , Heading 1:, etc...) or do you prefer me to format it using the forums formatting tools?

Also, can you post up your thoughts on a color scheme and font(s) for the document? I'm curious to see what you think...

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts

FJ-Piper said:
Do you want me to keep the layout as it has been, just putting styles colored in orange above the text (Title: , Heading 1:, etc...) or do you prefer me to format it using the forums formatting tools?

Also, can you post up your thoughts on a color scheme and font(s) for the document? I'm curious to see what you think...
You can keep it formatted how you have been. As far as color scheme and fonts, I'm thinking simple. Maybe using Courier...wanna make it as legible as possible, but still keep that outdoors/rugged feel. I'll post up an idea for the cover here shortly and you can see what direction I'm thinking on taking.

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts

Ok. Here are the first couple of pages including the cover so that you guys/ gals can see the layout and get a feel for how this thing's gonna look....any input is appreciated.

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Awesome Matt, You even seemed to keep that Militarian Field Book look and feel to it. I likie!

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts

FJ-Piper said:
Awesome Matt, You even seemed to keep that Militarian Field Book look and feel to it. I likie!
I've actually got a field book at home...should've looked at it..oh well, close enough! lol

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

How about dropping the 2009 Field Guide part down one more line. Not to be perfectly centerd vertically but to me it just seems a little too high. Whatta ya think?

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Matt, Can you crank out some cool Chapter Pages, full size, one for each chapter with the title of the chapter and a graphic on each? i.e. some tread marks on the wheeling one, a wrench on the mechanics one, an old map and gps data on the Trail Info one, the medic symbol on the first aid one, etc... These are just examples of the graphics. Use your imagination as it has been outstanding thus far.

If you can, be sure to post them in a reply AND in the Working Copy post above the actual working copy text. Posting it in a reply gives us an opportunity to track how it evolves.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts