FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008/12/17 Pilot Rock->Jeep Trail->Rausch Ranch->Lake Arrowhead-> Big Bear

Pilot Rock->Jeep Trail->Rausch Ranch->Lake Arrowhead-> Big Bear

Today it is snowing up there. So I have decided to take a date on these trails starting from HWY 138 taking the trail head to pilot rock and ending in Arrowhead, then from there, I will take HWY 18 to the Fire road entrance that will lead to the trails up in big bear. If anyone is up around there, I will be on CB Channel 10. ;D I will be picking her up from Diamond Bar around 930 and will get to the trail head by 1030 ish.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: 2008/12/17 Pilot Rock->Jeep Trail->Rausch Ranch->Lake Arrowhead-> Big Bear

Good luck. I take 138 to the 15 to work and CHP turned me around this morning. Lots of snow, it is still snowing, and quite a few accidents. Be safe!

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts

Make sure that you have sleeping bags in your vehicle. If you get stuck and have to wait it out, It will make such a huge difference in keeping warm. Running the engine to keep wam in the snow can be a deadly mistake if the exhaust system starts to get burried from falling snow.

Oh ya and, I cannot go :( I am behind on billing and also need to see some customers today

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

That's going to be a rough trek. Willow Creek will definitely have a ton of snow-enough snow to cover the huge dips...

Be very careful. That's a hard trek even when it's just wet.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

stay safe out there ivan, wish i could go but stuck at work...:(

·
Registered
124 Posts

Eagle post up when you get back man. It's been snowing all day here and I am sure those runs have feet of snow by now.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Any update Ivan, you get back safe??

·
Registered
909 Posts

I live towards Idlywild and there is no way I could ever get through the side roads. The snow is at 4 feet, your not going through it.

This is considered the worst storm in 100 years. Stay out of the mountains for the next couple of weeks is my guess.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

sort of worried, ivan never posted?

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts

He messaged me last night...

Dude, I couldn't even reach the trail head, the 15 was closed and I tried taking lytle creek to the 138 and couldn't even go all the way because the snow was so bad...but all so good too.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

Any of the trails up the mountain on Lytle is pretty much snowed in. There is NO way he could've gone up there. Even the fire road on Cleghorn would be very difficult to pass. It will have 2 ft of snow and probably packed ice underneath. It would be an heroic attempt though :D.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts

I bet you if he aired down to 7 PSI he could make it. :D ;)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Hey everyone, Sorry for my really late reply, I got back safe and I ended up doing Lytle Creek instead as my excuse to try to hit the 138 since the 15 was shut down. Luckily, I ended up running into a couple of our FJ friends and I ended up tagging with them to attempt a run through the creek. We all ended up becoming stuck and luckily some other guys who worked for the forest service were strolling along and pulled us out. We then returned the favor when we all attempted to turn around to head back and they too got stuck.
It was basically a Stuck fest out there because it seemed like almost every vehicle we rolled by on the way back were stuck. ;D . We then ran by Sandman as he was trying to make his way through and he ended up following us out. I had a great time shoveling myself out at many times. ;)

Thanks everyone for all your concerns. Once again, I'm sorry for the late reply. I just totally forgot to get back onto the forms when I got back. Pictures will be posted soon when they are emailed to me. I promise. ;D

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

wow that sounds like quite an adventure, maybe a preview of things to come on saturdays run at lyttle creek?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I am sure there will be snow there, maybe not as deep but fun enough for some snow/ sleet/ mudding action going on for everyone. :)

fjessence said:
wow that sounds like quite an adventure, maybe a preview of things to come on saturdays run at lyttle creek?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Ok, so I have not received the email pics yet, but here are a few I took with my crappy dying camera.:rofl:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts