FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a very challenging day for wheeling. I-15 was closed so James couldn't come down the pass and join us. GK_Giles, Dhawk, and Paul (and his friend) were already waiting for me at the meet up place at 8:45. I was a bit late getting there.

It was pouring rain and it was a chilly 45 degrees at Sierra and I-15. We took it slow into town and slowly gained elevation. Snow level was at 3000 ft. It was beautiful. It started to get a bit slushy as we got closer to town.

It got more snow as we got closer to trail head.

Look at what I found on the road!

He's been there a while and has been trying to get out by putting carpet floor mats on the front wheels (he's rear wheel drive). He was nicely dressed and we have no idea why he's out there... From the look of it, he was going a bit fast and lost control when the 2WD beast overcame the friction afforded by his massive 22 allseasons.

A little tug and he's out.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The snow started to come down fast. It was pretty hard to see.

It didn't take long before the tracks ended and I became the snow plow. Making new tracks and the snow is now about a foot deep. When we got to 3N33, we stayed left. The FJ now labors to go forward. The snow up up to my sliders and I had to be in 4lo to get going.

About a mile in, we decided it's too much. We were at 5700 ft elevation and was still gaining. It would only get worse. 3N33 wraps around the mountain and goes up steeply so that was not a road we were going to take. My AT oil temp light came on. I guess snow plowing is really making the AT work hard. Even the low temps and snow couldn't keep it cool.

We turned around. Dhawk slide into a little ditch but he got out when I anchored his winch with my rear bumper.

All is well and we're on our way back out. The plan is to find a hidden trail under the freeway and bypass the I-15/215 interchange. The snow scenery is so un-SoCal. Just a couple of days ago, I was in the desert rock crawling and now I'm deep in snow! :)

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We found our way back and took Glen Helen Parkway to a unmarked road that has a "Not a through street" sign on it. About a mile in, we're off pavement and crossed a sign that said "Authorized Vehicles Only". :worried: But we kept going. We eventually ended up driving next to the railroad tracks. There was a modified Eclipse in a pool of water. I guess they forgot to engage 4WD and the snorkel mods. This thing has full body kit and sat probably inches from ground. The driver is in t-shirt soaking wet, trying to dig a hole with his foot so he can drain out the water and see if he can hook up a strap... We sat in amusement for a while. Eventually he got his girl friend to start the motor again and he pushed it out of the water . I don't know what to say. :lol:

A little bit further, a train was blocking a crossing.

Since we can't cross, we had to continue on along the track. We found the reason why the train was stopped.

There was a Infinity SUV stuck between the track and the berm behind him. He's wedged. The train engineer stopped the train just before contact. The gray vehicle blended in with the gravel and foul weather. He didn't even have flashers on. For some reason the driver sat in the car as the train engineer tried to loosen some rocks. They couldn't find a recovery point. I told him to look in the manual and sure enough, there's a screw on hook and it's in the rear compartment. With the hook in place, I made my 3rd extraction of the day :rofl:.

The driver took off quickly down the track. The train engineer thanked us for helping out and we thank him for not getting us in trouble for driving along the track :D.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Through the back roads, we eventually hook up with Lone Pine. Lone Pine had heavy snow and they've closed 138. Mormon Rocks were beautiful!

Lone Pine connected with 138 and we head toward Silverwood Lake direction. Baldy Mesa trail starts at 138 and I-15 junction. It was very muddy where there was water. As we gained elevation, the snow really made it tough going.

As we near the summit and close to 2N24, I can no longer move forward. Every time I drive forward, it slides towards the mountain. Steering doesn't work :lol:. Tires are packed with snow and ice so we decided to turn around. It was a good day. We finished around 2pm. We wheeled in snow, which is rare in SoCal! Lunch with Gary and Derrick at Red Robin was great too. :)

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Man I wish Matt didn't have to work today! I knew there would be tons of snow and I was dying to get out there! Maybe the snow will stay for the run this weekend after the Sizzler meet this weekend!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most likely Brittany :). I think we're due for another 3 more days of rain/snow.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
yea looks so awesome with all the snow, i definitely want to make a snow trip soon, how were the mtrs in the snow tony?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The MT/Rs are ok in the snow. They're better then the LTBs. There are still certain areas that I just can't steer no matter what. Later that day when we were up at Baldy Mesa trail, there was a section where my FJ will slide to the side whenever I move forward. I noticed the tires were packed with snow/ice. I wonder how Gary's KM2s would've faired. We never did find out as we just turned around and went to lunch. :)

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
did you guys air down to < 10 PSI? i've got a set of diamond snow chains coming in...the kids are ready for the snow season. ;D

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We didn't air down at all. It was too wet to get out. ;D It was just a casual day of wheeling so we kind of took a slow pace. The scenery was terrific.

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
GTKrockeTT said:
did you guys air down to < 10 PSI? i've got a set of diamond snow chains coming in...the kids are ready for the snow season. ;D
Hahahaha Are you trying to start something here??? To air down or not to air down in the snow, that is the question that remains...

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Fjamming said:
Air down of course :).
Tony, this is a much debated topic, as many off-road techniques are, that the general consensus is:

Both, it depends on the type of snow and tires.

If it is dry and compacted and you have sufficient clearance, you should air down to try and get on top of the snow. This can be dangerous though if you hit large voids or run off the trail.

If it is wet and slushy, Air up and use skinny tires to put more downward pressure on the solid surface beneath the snow, essentially cutting through the snow. ;D

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
So, you are saying (in your newly-trained experience, of course) that my stock tires would have done better in that fresh powder? I know my 4X2 would have a hard time (ALMOST like that Blingalade), but the tires would be the saving grace....am I close?

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
FJDave said:
So, you are saying (in your newly-trained experience, of course) that my stock tires would have done better in that fresh powder? I know my 4X2 would have a hard time (ALMOST like that Blingalade), but the tires would be the saving grace....am I close?
I can tell you from experience, that the stock tires do exceptionally well in the snow. Last year, we went to Lytle when there was 2 feet of snow, and cruised right past a ton of people that were stuck with their big wide mud tires.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts